Premature loss of teeth in children may lead to both functional and esthetic problems. Missing teeth in both anterior and posterior regions may cause malfunctions in mastication and proper pronunciation. If the missing teeth are not replaced, further complications may occur, including adjacent tooth migration, loss of alveolar bone, and irregular occlusion. Considering the sensitive nature of children, loss of teeth may cause the development of insecurities and low self esteem problems. Due to dynamic nature of growth in children and adolescents, prosthetic appliances must not hinder development of orofacial system, and must meet adequate esthetic and functional standards. Dental prosthetic appliances in paediatrics must be planned with respect to the special conditions that led to tooth loss or damage. Multi-disciplinary approach is needed, under constant supervision of paediatric dentist and orthodontist, as well as regular checkups with clinical and radiographical examinations.
1. Di Blasio A, Mandelli G, Generali I, Gandolfini M. Facial aesthetics and childhood. Eur J Paediat Dent, 2009;10:131-134.
2. Tremblay L, Lovsin T, Zecevic C, Larivière M. Perceptions of self in 3-5-year-old children: a preliminary investigation into the early emergence of body dissatisfaction. Body Image, 2011;8:287-292.
3. Innes NP, Ricketts D, Chong LY, Keightley AJ, Lamont T, Santamaria RM. Preformed crowns for decayed primary molar teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2015;12:CD005512.
4. Engel RJ. Chrome steel as used in children’s dentistry. Chron Omaha Dist Dent Soc, 1950;13:255-258.
5. Noble J, Ahing SI, Karaiskos NE, Wiltshire WA. Nickel allergy and orthodontics, a review and report of two cases. Br Dent J, 2008:204:297-300.
6. Prabhakar AR, Yavagal CM, Chakraborty A, Sugandhan S. Finite element stress analysis of stainless steel crowns. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent, 2015;33:183-191.
7. Memarpour M, Derafshi R, Razavi M. Comparison of microleakage from stainless steel crowns margins used with different restorative materials: An in vitro study. Dent Res J (Isfahan), 2016;13:7-12.
8. Suttor D, Bunke K, Hoescheler S, Hauptmann H, Hertlein G. LAVA-the system for all-ceramic ZrO2 crown and bridge frameworks. Int J Comput Dent, 2001;4:195-206.
9. Available at: http://www.ceramics.net/services/materialsengineering-expertise/ytzp-yttria-stabilized-zirconia. Accessed 03/18/2017
10. Choi JW, Bae IH, Noh TH, Ju SW, Lee TK, Ahn J et al. Wear of primary teeth caused by opposed all-ceramic or stainless steel crowns. J Adv Prosthodont, 2016;8:43-52.
11. Ashima G, Sarabjot KB, Gauba K, Mittal HC. Zirconia crowns for rehabilitation of decayed primary incisors: an esthetic alternative. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 2014;39:18-22.
12. Jepson NJ, Nohl FS, Carter NE, et al. The interdisciplinary management of hypodontia: restorative dentistry. Br Dent J, 2003;194:299-304.
13. Bhalla G, Agrawal KK, Chand P, Singh K, Singh BP, Goel P et al. Effect of Complete Dentures on Craniofacial Growth of an Ectodermal Dysplasia Patient: A Clinical Report. J Prosthodont, 2013;22:495-500.
14. Vojdani M, Giti R. Polyamide as a Denture Base Material: A Literature Review. J Dent, 2015;16:1-9.
15. Borum MK, Andreasen JO. Therapeutic and economic implications of traumatic dental injuries in Denmark: an estimate based on 7549 patients treated at a major trauma centre. Int J Paediatr Dent, 2001;11:249-258.
16. Zitzmann NU, Özcan M, Scherrer SS, Bühler JM, Weiger R, Krastl G. Resin-bonded restorations: A strategy for managing anterior tooth loss in adolescence. J Prosthet Dent, 2015;113:270-276.
17. Dyer SR, Lassila LV, Jokinen M, Vallittu PK. Effect of fiber position and orientation on fracture load of fiber-reinforced composite. Dent Mater, 2004;20:947-955.
18. Burke FJ. Resin-retained bridges: fibre-reinforced versus metal. Dent Update, 2008;35:521-522.
19. Vallittu PK, Sevelius C. Resin-bonded, glass fiber-reinforced composite fixed partial dentures: a clinical study. J Prosthet Dent, 2000;84:413-418.
20. Wolff D, Schach C, Kraus T, Ding P, Pritsch M, Mente J et al. Fiber-reinforced composite fixed dental prostheses: a retrospective clinical examination. J Adhes Dent, 2011;13:187-194.