Background: Prefabricated zirconia posts can contribute to increasing the fracture resistance of the endodontically treated teeth. Purpose. This in vitro study compared the fracture resistance of endodontically treated central maxillary incisors prepared with 2 mm ferrule length to the ones without ferrule.
Material and methods: Twenty-four caries-free maxillary central incisors were divided into 2 groups of 12. In group A circumferential external dentin shoulders were prepared for 2 mm external dentin ferrule length. There was no ferrule preparation in Group B. Zirconia VALLPOST BO-S (Ø 1,6 mm), Ljubljana, Slovenia were used with retention forms in the coronary part. Core build-up was made of pressed ceramics (IPS e.max Press, Ivoclar, Liechtenstein). Crowns were manufactured from the same ceramic material (IPS e.max Press, Ivoclar). After root canal treatment and post space preparation, all posts were cemented with an adhesive resin cement (Multilink Automix, Ivoclar). The specimens were embedded in acrylic resin blocks (ProBase Polymer/Monomer, Ivoclar) and loaded at an angle of 45° to the long axis in an Instron Testing Machine 4301 (Instron Corp., USA) at a crosshead speed of 1 mm/min until fracture. Fracture patterns and loads were recorded. A significance level of p<0.05 was used for all comparisons. Two-way analysis of variance was used for statistical analysis. Failure patterns were analyzed with the optical microscope Stereo Discovery V.8 (Carl Zeiss, Germany) and compared using the chi-square nonparametric test.
Results: The mean values (±SD) of fracture loads (N) for the Groups A and B were 664.63N (±49.14) and 519.36N (±71.65) recpectively. Significantly lower failure loads were recorded for the specimens in the group B. Failure patterns within the groups revealed non-catastrophic failure in 70% of the specimens for group A and 85% for group B.
Conclusions: Within the limitations of this in vitro study, it can be concluded that zirconia VALLPOST BO-S (Ø 1,6 mm) with press-ceramic cores and crowns, can be used for restoration of endodontically treated teeth. The teeth prepared with 2 mm external dentin ferrule length were found to be more fracture resistant than teeth without ferrule.
4. Meyeberg KH Luthy H Scharer P. Zirconium post. A new all-ceramic concept for nonvital abutment teeth. J Esthet Dent 1995; 7:73-80.
5. Friedel W Kern M. Fracture strength of teeth restored with all-ceramic posts and cores. Quintessence Int 2006; 37:289-295.
6. Zhi-Yue L Yu-Xing Z. Effects of post core design and ferrule on fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 83:368-373.
7. Heydecke G Butz F Strub JR. Fracture strength and survival rate of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with approximal cavities after restoration with different post and core systems: an in-vitro study. J Dent 2001; 29:427-433.
8. Akkayan B Guelmez T. Resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post systems. J Prosthet Dent 2002; 87:431-437.
9. Dilmener FT Sipahi C Dalkiz M. Resistance of three new esthetic post-and-core systems to compressive loading. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 95:130-136.
10. Libman WJ Nicholls JI. Load fatigue of teeth restored with cast posts and cores and complete crowns. Int J Prosthodont 1995; 8:155-161.
11. Rosen H. Operative procedures on mutilated endodontically treated teesth. J Prosthet Dent 1961; 11:973-986.
12. Whitworth JM Walls AWG Wassell RW. Crowns and extra-coronal restorations: Endodontic considerations: the pulp the root-treated tooth and the crown. Br Dent J 2002; 192:315-327.
13. Pereira JR Valle AL Shiratori FK Ghizoni JS Melo MP. Influence of intraradicular post and crown ferrule on the fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth. Braz Dent J 2009; 20:297-302.
14. Akkayan B. An in vitro study evaluating the effect of ferrule length on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with fiber-reinforced and zirconia dowel systems. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 92:155-162.
15. Jovanovski TS. Assesment of the effects of treatement of the ceramic posts and their effect on fracture resistance on the endodontic treated teeth. (Doctoral dissertation) Faculty of Dental Medicine - Skopje 2012.
16. Dakskobler A Jevnikar P Oblak C Kosmac T. The processing-related fracture resistance and reliability of root dental posts made from Y-TZP. J Eur Ceram Soc 2007; 27:1565-1570.
17. Pereira JR de Ornelas F Conti PC do Valle AL. Effect of a crown ferrule on the resistance of endodontically-treated teeth restored with prefabricated posts. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 95:50-54.
18. Butz F Lennon A Haydecke G Strub J. Survival rate and fracture strength of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with moderate defect restored with different post and core systems: an in vitro study. Int J Prosthodont 2001; 14:58-64.
19. Strub JR Pontius O Koutayas S. Survival rate and fracture strength of incisors restored with different post and core systems after axposure in the artificial mouth. J Oral Rehabil 2001; 28:120-124.
20. Nothdurft PF Pospiech RP. Clinical evaluation of pulpless teeth restored with conventionally cemented zirconia posts: A pilot study. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 95:311-314.
21. Paul SJ Werder. Clinical success of zirconium oxide posts with resin composite or glass-ceramic cores in endodontically treated teeth: a 4-year retrospective study. Int J Prosthodont 2004; 17:524-528.
22. Oblak C Jevnikar P Kosmac T Funduk N Marion Lj. Fracture resistance and reliability of new zirconia posts. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 91:342-348.
23. Kosmac T Dakskobler A Oblak C Jevnikar P. The strength and hydrothermal stability of Y-TZP ceramics for dental applications. Int J Appl Ceram Technol 2007; 4:164-174.
24. Gegauf AG. Effect of crown lengthening and ferrule placement on static load failure of cemented cast post-cores and crowns. J Prosthet Dent 2000; 84:169-179.
25. Butz F Lennon A Haydecke G Strub J. Survival rate and fracture strength of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with moderate defect restored with different post and core systems: an in vitro study. Int J Prosthodont 2001; 14:58-64.
26. Assif D Bitenski A Pilo R Oren E. Effect of post design on resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth with complete crowns. J Prosthet Dent 1993; 69:36-40.
27. Sorensen JA Engelman MJ. Ferrule design and fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth. J Prosthet Dent 1990; 63:429-436.
28. Meng QF Chen YM Guang HB Yip KHK Smales RJ. Effect of a ferrule and increased clinical crown length on the in vitro fracture resistance of premolars restored using two dowel-and-core systems. Oper Dent 2007: 32:595-601.
29. Stankiewicz NR Wilson PR. The ferrule effect: a literature review. IntEndod J 2002; 35:575-581.
30. Stankiewicz N Wilson P. The ferrule effect. Dent Update 2008; 35:222-224.
31. Juloski J Radovic I Goracci C Vulevic RZ Ferrari M. Ferrule effect: A Literature Review. J Endod 2012; 38:11-19.
32. Cohen IB Pagnillo KM Newman I Musikant LB Deutsch SA. Retention of a core material supported by three post head designs. J Prosthet Dent 2000;83:624-628.
33. Ottl P Hahn L Lauer HCH Fay M. Fracture characteristics of carbon fibre ceramic and non-palladium endodontic post systems at monotonously increasing loads. J Oral Rehabil 2002; 29:175-183.
34. Asmussen E Peutzfeldt A Heitmann T. Stiffness elastic limit and strength of newewr types of endodontic posts. J Dent 1999; 27:275-278.
35. Ozkurt Z Iseri U Kazazoglu E. Zirconia ceramic post systems: a literature review and a case report. Dent Mater J 2010; 29:233-245.
36. Ozkurt Z Kazazoglu E. Clinical success of zirconia in dental applications. J Prosthodont 2010; 19:64-68.
37. Hezaimeh N Gutteridge DL. An in vitro study into the effect of ferrule preparation on the fracture resistance of crowned teeth incorporating prefabricated post and composite core restorations. Int Endod J 2001; 34:40-46.
38. Ng CC Al-Bayat MI Dumberigue HB Griggs Ja Wakefield CW. Effect of no ferrule on failure of teeth restored with bonded posts and cores. Gen Dent 2004; 52:143-146.
39. Tjan AHL Whang SB. Resistance to root fracture of post channels with various thicknesses of buccal dentin walls. J Prosthet Dent 1985; 53:496-500.
40. Bateman G Ricketts D Saunders W. Fiber-based post systems: a review. Br Dent J 2003: 195:43-48.
41. Guzy GE Nicholls II. In vitro comparison of intact endodontically treated teeth with and without endo-post reinforcement. J Prosthet Dent 1979: 42:39-44.
42. Cheung W. A review of the management of endodontically treated teeth: Post core and the final restoration J Am Dent Assoc 2005; 136:611-619.
43. Clarisse CHN Dumbrigue HB Al-Bajat IM Griggs AJ Wakefield WC. Influence of remaining coronal tooth structure location on the fracture resistance of restored endodontically treated anterior teeth. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 95:290-296.
44. Isidor F Brondum K Ravnholt G. The influence of post length and crown ferrule length on the resistance to cyclic loading of bovine teeth with prefabricated titanium post. Int J Prosthodont 1999; 12:79-82.
45. Milot P Stein RS. Rooth fracture in endodontically treated teeth related to post selection and crown design. J Prosthet Dent 1992; 68:428-435.