Background: The aim of this in vitro study was to compare the degree of microleakage on enamel and dentin margins of class V cavities prepared with either a high-speed drill or an Er,Cr:YSGG laser (2780 nm) and to associate their use with a beveling method for the margin.
Method and Materials: Sixty bovine incisors were randomly distributed into three groups. Group 1 (G1) cavities were laser prepared and bur beveled, group 2 (G2) cavities were bur prepared and beveled, while cavities of group 3 (G3) were laser prepared and beveled. Cavities were restored with selective enamel etching, using the same bonding agent and nano-hybrid resin composite for all groups. After thermocycling, microleakage was assessed using a methylene blue dye penetration method.
Results: Statistical analysis (Mann-Whitney, Kruskal-Wallis and post-hoc Dunn’s multiple comparison tests) demonstrated significantly higher microleakage for dentin compared to enamel margins in G1. Enamel margin microleakage was found to be significantly higher at G3 compared to G1 (p=0.032) and G2 (p=0.001), while no significant differences were found between G1 and G2 (p=0.850). Regarding dentin margins, G2 group performed significantly better than G1 and G3 (p<<0.001), while there was no significant difference among G1 and G3 scores (p=1.000).
Conclusions: The conventional cavity preparation method seems to perform better in terms of microleakage than the Er,Cr;YSGG laser. Laser-prepared cavities could perform better in terms of microleakage if an additional step of enamel bur-beveling is performed prior to restoration.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Baghalian A Nakhjavani YB Hooshmand T Motahhary P Bahramian H. Microleakage of Er:YAG laser and dental bur prepared cavities in primary teeth restored with different adhesive restorative materials. Lasers Med Sci 2013; 28:1453-1460.
2. Lima AF Soares GP Vasconcellos PH Ambrosano GM Marchi GM Lovadino JR Aguiar FH. Effect of surface sealants on microleakage of Class II restorations after thermocycling and long-term water storage. J Adhes Dent 2011; 13:249-254.
3. Yaman BC Guray BE Dorter C Gomeç Y Yazıcıoglu O Erdilek D. Effect of the erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser or diamond bur cavity preparation on the marginal microleakage of class V cavities restored with different adhesives and composite systems. Lasers Med Sci 2012; 27:785-794.
4. Korkmaz FM Baygin O Tuzuner T Bagis B Arslan I. The effect of an erbium chromium: yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser on the microleakage and bond strength of silorane and micro-hybrid composite restorations. Eur J Dent 2013; 7:33-40.
5. Costa Pfeifer CS Braga RR Cardoso PE. Influence of cavity dimensions insertion technique and adhesive system on microleakage of Class V restorations. J Am Dent Assoc 2006; 137:197-202.
7. Van Meerbeek B De Munck J Yoshida Y Inoue S Vargas M Vijay P Van Landuyt K Lambrechts P Vanherle G. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent 2003; 28:215-235.
8. Trelles K Arnabat J España-Tost T. Microleakage in Class V cavities with self-etching adhesive system and conventional rotatory or laser ErCr:YSGG. Laser Ther 2012; 21:255-268.
9. Aranha AC Turbino ML Powell GL Eduardo Cde P. Assessing microleakage of class V resin composite restorations after Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. Lasers Surg Med 2005; 37:172-177.
10. Moldes VL Capp CI Navarro RS Matos AB Youssef MN Cassoni A. In vitro microleakage of composite restorations prepared by Er:YAG/ErCr:YSGG lasers and conventional drills associated with two adhesive systems. J Adhes Dent 2009; 11:221-229.
11. Gokcelik A Ozel Y Ozel E Arhun N Attar N Firatli S Firatli E. The influence of Er:YAG laser conditioning versus self-etching adhesives with acid etching on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Photomed Laser Surg 2007; 25:508-512.
12. Korkmaz Y Ozel E Attar N Bicer CO Firatli E. Microleakage and scanning electron microscopy evaluation of all-in-one self-etch adhesives and their respective nanocomposites prepared by erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser and bur. Lasers Med Sci 2010; 25:493-502.
13. Navarro RS Gouw-Soares S Cassoni A Haypek P Zezell DM de Paula Eduardo C. The influence of erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser ablation with variable pulse width on morphology and microleakage of composite restorations. Lasers Med Sci 2010; 25:881-889.
14. Corona SA Souza-Gabriel AE Chinelatti MA Pécora JD Borsatto MC Palma-Dibb RG. Influence of energy and pulse repetition rate of Er:YAG laser on enamel ablation ability and morphological analysis of the laser-irradiated surface. J Biomed Mater Res A 2008; 84:569-575.
15. Celik EU Ergücü Z Türkün LS Türkün M. Shear bond strength of different adhesives to Er:YAG laser-prepared dentin. J Adhes Dent 2006; 8:319-325.
16. Ceballos L Toledano M Osorio R Tay FR Marshall GW. Bonding to Er:YAG laser-treated dentin. J Dent Res 2002; 8:119-122.
17. Esteves-Oliveira M Zezell DM Apel C Turbino ML Aranha AC Eduardo Cde P Gutknecht N. Bond strength of self-etching primer to bur cut ErCr:YSGG and Er:YAG lased dental surfaces. Photomed Laser Surg 2007; 25:373-380.
18. Sennou HE Lebugle AA Grégoire GL. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy study of the dentin-glass ionomer cement interface. Dent Mater 1999; 15:229-237.
19. Yassen GH Platt JA Hara AT. Bovine teeth as substitute for human teeth in dental research: a review of literature. J Oral Sci 2011; 53:273-282.
20. Reeves GW Fitchie JG Hembree JH Jr Puckett AD. Microleakage of new dentin bonding systems using human and bovine teeth. Oper Dent 1995; 20:230-235.
21. Almeida KG Scheibe KG Oliveira AE Alves CM Costa JF. Influence of human and bovine substrate on the microleakage of two adhesive systems. J Appl Oral Sci 2009; 17:92-96.
22. Owens BM Halter TK Brown DM. Microleakage of tooth-colored restorations with a beveled gingival margin. Quintessence Int 1998; 29:356-361.
23. Fattah T Kazemi H Fekrazad R Assadian H Kalhori KA. ErCr:YSGG laser influence on microleakage of class V composite resin restorations. Lasers Med Sci 2013; 28:1257-1262.
24. Van Meerbeek B Peumans M Poitevin A Mine A Van Ende A Neves A De Munck J. Relationship between bond strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dent Mater 2010; 26:e100-121.
25. Shahabi S Ebrahimpour L Walsh LJ. Microleakage of composite resin restorations in cervical cavities prepared by ErCr:YSGG laser radiation. Aust Dent J 2008; 53:172-175.
26. Yazici AR Yıldırım Z Antonson SA Kilinc E Koch D Antonson DE Dayangaç B Ozgünaltay G. Comparison of the ErCr:YSGG laser with a chemical vapour deposition bur and conventional techniques for cavity preparation: a microleakage study. Lasers Med Sci 2012; 27:23-29.
27. Arami S Shahabi S Tabatabaie M Chiniforush N Morshedi E Torabi S. Assessing microleakage of composite restorations in class V cavities prepared by Er:YAG laserirradiation or diamond bur. J Conserv Dent 2014; 17:216-219.
28. Baygin O Korkmaz FM Arslan I. Effects of different types of adhesive systems on the microleakage of compomer restorations in Class V cavities prepared by ErCr:YSGG laser in primary teeth. Dent Mater J 2012; 31:206-214.
29. Corona SA Borsatto MC Pecora JD De SA Rocha RA Ramos TS Palma-Dibb RG. Assessing microleakage of different class V restorations after Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. J Oral Rehabil 2003; 30:1008-1014.
30. Ozel E Korkmaz Y Attar N Bicer CO Firatli E. Leakage pathway of different nano-restorative materials in class V cavities prepared by Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. Photomed Laser Surg 2009; 27:783-789.
31. Bahrololoomi Z Heydari E. Assessment of Tooth Preparation via Er:YAG Laser and Bur on Microleakage of Dentin Adhesives. J Dent (Tehran) 2014; 11:172-178.
32. Ceballos L Osorio R Toledano M Marshall GW. Microleakage of composite restorations after acid or Er-YAG laser cavity treatments. Dent Mater 2001; 17:340-346.
33. Armengol V Jean A Enkel B Assoumou M Hamel H. Microleakage of class V composite restorations following Er:YAG and Nd:YAP laser irradiation compared to acid-etch: an in vitro study. Lasers Med Sci 2002; 17:93-100.
34. Bertrand MF Semez G Leforestier E Muller-Bolla M Nammour S Rocca JP. Er:YAG laser cavity preparation and composite resin bonding with a single-component adhesive system: relationship between shear bond strength and microleakage. Lasers Surg Med 2006; 38:615-623.
35. Marotti J Geraldo-Martins VR Bello-Silva MS de Paula Eduardo C Apel C Gutknecht N. Influence of etching with erbium chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser on microleakage of class V restoration. Lasers Med Sci 2010; 25:325-329.
36. Muhammed G Dayem R. Evaluation of the microleakage of different class V cavities prepared by using Er:YAG laser ultrasonic device and conventional rotary instruments with two dentin bonding systems (an in vitro study). Lasers Med Sci 2015; 30:969-975.
37. Esteves-Oliveira M Carvalho WL Eduardo Cde P Zezell DM. Influence of the additional Er:YAG laser conditioning step on the microleakage of class V restorations. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2008; 87:538-543.
38. Quo BC Drummond JL Koerber A Fadavi S Punwani I. Glass ionomer microleakage from preparations by an Er/YAG laser or a high-speed handpiece. J Dent 2002; 30:141-146.
39. Pashley DH Tay FR. Aggressiveness of contemporary self-etching adhesives. Part II: etching effects on unground enamel. Dent Mater 2001; 17:430-444.
40. Ibarra G Vargas MA Armstrong SR Cobbb DS. Microtensile bond strength of self-etching adhesives to ground and unground enamel. J Adhes Dent 2002; 4:115-124.
41. Hossain M Nakamura Y Yamada Y Murakami Y Matsumoto K. Microleakage of composite resin restoration in cavities prepared by ErCr:YSGG laser irradiation and etched bur cavities in primary teeth. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2002; 26:263–268.
42. Ekworapoj P Sidhu SK McCabe JF. Effect of different power parameters of ErCr:YSGG laser on human dentine. Lasers Med Sci 2007; 22:175-182.
43. Phanombualert J Chimtim P Heebthamai T Weera-Archakul W. Microleakage of Self-Etch Adhesive System in Class V Cavities Prepared by Using Er:YAG Laser with Different Pulse Modes. Photomed Laser Surg 2015; 33:467-472.
44. Delme KI Deman PJ De Moor RJ. Microleakage of class V resin composite restorations after conventional and Er:YAG laser preparation. J Oral Rehabil 2005; 32:676-685.
45. Delmé KI Deman PJ De Bruyne MA Nammour S De Moor RJ. Microleakage of glass ionomer formulations after erbium:yttrium-aluminium-garnet laser preparation. Lasers Med Sci 2010; 25:171-180.