History of dentistry in the Central Serbian District of Jagodina has been influenced by traditional medicine for centuries. Development of dentistry in the region of Jagodina was slow, the level of oral and general hygiene was low and the sanitary prevention was absent. Trained physicians started to practice medicine and dentistry in the first half of the nineteenth century and they were educated in abroad universities. However, common people used to address to these physicians only when the traditional medicine were unable to help. Until the end of the World War II, common, mostly rural people, with the urgent dental treatment need were usually referred to the barbers, healers or empirics in the nearby villages rather than the dentists. Medications used for the urgent dental treatment were balsams and solutions made of herbs. After the World War II, the dental technicians who finished special courses started to practice dentistry. In 1947 the Regional Dental Office in Jagodina was opened and in 1955 the first Doctor of Dental Medicine who graduated from the School of Dental Medicine of University of Belgrade was employed. Nowadays, the Department of Dentistry represents is an important and independent part of the Health Care Centre in Jagodina.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Gavrilović V, Zagrađanin D. History of Dental Secton in Serbian Medical Society [book in Serbian]. Gornji Milanovac: Dečje novine; 1984.
2. Dimitrijević B, Nedok A. History of Dentistry in Serbia - penetration of dentistry in Serbia. Project Rastko [Inernet]. May 1st, 2012 [cited August 15th, 2014]; Available at: http://www.rastko.rs/rastko/delo/14458.
3. Gies W. Dental education in the United States and Canada: .New York: The Carnegie Foundation; 1926.
4. The history of dentistry. Namibia Dental Association [Internet] [cited May 10th, 2015] Available at: http://www.namibiadent.com/the-history-of-dentistry.html.
5. Jovanović D, Tanić D. History of medicine in region of Jagodina from Josif Pančić to Spiridon Jeftimijades:1847 -1860 [book in Serbian]. sv. 3 ed. Jagodina: Istorijski arhiv; 2009.
6. Lalović A. Serbian medicine in medieval centuries. Medical Timočki Journal. 2004;29(suppl. 1):27-30.
7. Reljin I. Medieval medicine in Serba [article in Serbian]. Project Rastko [Internet]. Februar 16th, 2011 [cited Avgust 15th, 2014.]; Available at: http://www.rastko.rs/rastko/delo/14016.
8. Gavrilović V. History of Serbian dentistry [book in Serbian]. Belgrade: School of Dental Medicine, University of Belgrade; 1988.
9. Maksimovic J. Contribution of physicians from Vojvodina to establishing health service in Serbia and founding and working of Medical Society of Serbia. Med Pregl. 2008 Mar-Apr;61(3-4):191-203.
10. Živić M, Živić S, Živić M. Traditional healers [article in Serbian]. Acta medica Medianae. 2007;46(1):23-4.
11. Drobnjak I. Brandy in etnomedicine [article in Serbian]. Medical Timočki Journal. 2004;9(Suppl 1):49-51.
12. Jovanović D, Tanić D. History of medicine in region of Jagodina from Karlo Beloni to Josif Pančić: 1839 - 1847 [book in Serbian]. sv. 2 ed. Jagodina: Istorijski arhiv; 2005.
13. Jovanović D, Tanić D, Dedić D. Practice of dr Karlo Beloni: the first physician in region of Jagodina 1839 - 1841 [book in Serbian]. sv. 1 ed. Jagodina: Istorijski arhiv; 1995.
14. Dimitrijević B. New and old criterions: dentistry and culture. [article in Serbian] Project Rastko [Internet]. February 1st, 2008 [cited Avgust 15th, 2014]; Available at: http://www.rastko.rs/rastko/delo/12089
15. Jeremić M. Interview with the study participants 2014.
16. Mitić B. Health Care Centre in Ćuprija - from the first physicians to nowadays. Ćuprija: Health Care Centre in Ćuprija 2005.
17. Marinković G. Opening of Regional Dental Office in Jagodina [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1947 29. mart;22:4.
18. Nikolić M. The first results: Health Care Centre in Svetozarevo [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1953 May 23th;4:5.
19. Savić L. The need for psychologic counselling dispenasary. Novi put. 1954;7(28):5.
20. Jevtić M. Actions of Dental Section in Svetozarevo [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1954;7(44):6.
21. 21. Paunović Ž. Importance of preventive dentistry [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1956 September 1st;35:2.
22. Đurić T. Everything is ready [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1959 May 23th;20:3.
23. Javorina S. Svetozarevo needs a new building for Health Care Centre [article in Serbian]. Novi put. 1955;8(6):4.
24. Chatzopoulos GS. Oral Health Conditions of Older People: Focus on the Balkan Countries. Balk J Dent Med 2015; 19:59-64