Objectives: To compare shade matching skills of color normal males and females.
Material and Methods: A total of 174 dental students of both genders (117 females and 57 males, 20 to 25 years old), with no experience in color matching in dentistry, participated in the study. All recruited students passed the Ishihara color vision test for color deficiency, and matched the colors of eight shade tabs using VITA Linearguide 3D-Master shade guide. Standardized lighting conditions were provided using Rite-Lite (Addent Danbury, CT, USA) hand-held shade matching unit. Color differences between the task tabs and selected tabs were calculated using two CIE color difference formulae and students results were evaluated from 10 (for the best match score) to 1 for the 10th best match score. Means and standard deviations were determined. Student’s t-test was used for result analysis (p = .05).
Results: The mean shade matching scores and standard deviations for male and female students were 5.86 (SD 1.38) and 6.10 (SD 1.36), respectively (p = .266). No statistically significant differences in overall and individual target tab scores by gender were recorded.
Conclusion: Within the limitation of this study, it was concluded that gender did not influence color matching quality
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bergen SF. Color in esthetics. NY State Dent J 1985; 51:470-471.
2. Donahue J Goodkind R Schwabacher W Aeppli D. Shade color discrimination by man and woman. J Prosthet Dent 1991; 65:699-703.
3. Chamberlain GJ Chamberlain DG. Colour - its measurement computation and application. 1st ed. London (UK): Heyden 1980.
4. Haddad H Jakstat H Arnetzl G Borbely J Vichi A Dumfahrt H Renault P Corcodel N Pohlen B Marada G Martinez Vazquez de Parga J Reshad M Klinke T Hannak W Paravina R. Does gender and experience influence shade matching quality? J Dent 2009; 37:40-44.
5. Paravina RD. Evaluation of a newly developed visual shade matching apparatus. Int J Prosthodont 2002; 15:528-534.
6. Jasinevicius TR Curd FM Schilling L Sadan A. Shade matching abilities of dental laboratory technicians using a commercial light source. J Prosthodont 2009; 18:60-63.
7. Curd FM Jasinevicius TR Graves A Cox V Sadan A. Comparison of the shade matching ability of dental students using two light sources. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 96:391-396.
8. Ishikawa-Nagai S Yoshida A Sakai M Kristiansen J Da Silva JD. Clinical evaluation of perceptibility of color differences between natural teeth and all-ceramic crowns. J Dent 2009; 37:57-63.
9. Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage (CIE). CIE technical report: colorimetry CIE Pub No.15.3 2004.
10. Wyszecki G Stiles WS. Color science: concepts and methods quantitative data and formulae. 2nd ed. New York (NY): John Wiley & Sons 2000.
11. Sharma G Wu W Dalal E. The CIEDE2000 colordifference formula: Implementation notes supplementary test data and mathematical observations. Color Res Appl 2005; 30:21-30.
12. Kuehni RG Marcus RT. An experiment in visual scaling of small colour differences. Color Res Appl 1979; 4:83-91.
13. Ruyter IE Nilner K Moller B. Color stability of dental composite resin materials for crown and bridge veneers. Dent Mater 1987; 3:246-251.
14. Seghi RR Hewlett ER Kim J. Visual and instrumental colorimetric assessments of small color differences on translucent dental porcelain. J Dent Res 1989; 68:1760-1764.
15. Johnston WM Kao EC. Assessment of appearance match by visual observation and clinical colorimetry. J Dent Res 1989; 68:819-822.
16. Khashayar G Bain PA Salari S. Dozic A Kleverlaan CJ Feilzer AJ. Perceptibility and acceptability thresholds for colour differences in dentistry. J Dent 2014; 42:637-644.
17. Paravina RD Ghinea R Herrera LJ Bona AD Igiel C Linninger M Sakai M Takahashi H Tashkandi E. Color Difference Thresholds in Dentistry. J Esthet Restor Dent 2015; 27:1-9.
18. Ghinea R Perez MM Herrera LJ Rivas MJ Yebra A Paravina RD. Color difference thresholds in dental ceramics. J Dent 2010; 38:57-64.
19. Dudea D Gasparik C Botos A Alb F Irimie A Paravina RD. Influence of background/ surrounding area on accuracy of visual color matching. Clin Oral Investig 2015; in press.
20. Gokce HS Piskin B Ceyhan D Gokce SM Arisan V. Shade matching performance of normal and color vision-deficient dental professionals with standard daylight and tungsten illuminants. J Prosthet Dent 2010; 103:139-147.
21. Amano K Foster DH. Colour constancy under simultaneous changes in surface position and illuminant. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 2004; 271:2319-2326.
22. Ahn JS Lee YK. Difference in the translucency of allceramics by the illuminant. Dent Mat 2008; 24:1539-1544.
23. Sproull RC Preston JD. Understanding color. In: Goldstein RE (ed). Esthetics in Dentistry. ed 2. London: BC Decker 1998.
24. Paravina RD Powers JM. Esthetic Color Training in Dentistry. 1st ed. St. Louis (MO): Elsevier Mosby 2004.
25. Paravina RD. Techniques for improvement of clinical shade matching procedures. PhD Thesis University of Nis School Medicine 2000.
26. Jaju R Nagai S Karimbux N Da Silva J. Evaluating Tooth Color Matching Ability of Dental Students. J Dent Educ 2010; 75:1002-1010.
27. Goodkind R Loupe M. Teaching of color in predoctoral and postdoctoral dental education in 1988. J Prosthet Dent 1992; 67:713-717.
28. Ristic I Stankovic S Paravina RD. Influence of color education and training on shade matching skills. J Esthet Restor Dent 2016; in press.
29. Colblindor. http://www.color-blindness.com/ishihara-38-plates-cvd-test/ accessed December 5 2015.
30. Perez MM Ghinea R Herrera LJ Ionescu AM Pomares H Pulgar R Paravina RD. Dental ceramics: A CIEDE2000 acceptability thresholds for lightness chroma and hue differences. J Dent 2011; 39:37-44.
31. Applebury ML Hargrave PA. Molecular biology of the visual pigments. Vision Res 1987; 26:1881-1895.
32. Neitz J Jacobs GH. Polymorphism of the long-wavelength cone in normal human color vision. Nature 1986; 323:623-625.
33. Neitz J Neitz M Jacobs GH. More than three different cone pigments among people with normal color vision. Vision Res 1993; 33:117-122.
34. Joiner A. Tooth colour: a review of the literature. J Dent 2004; 32:3-12.
35. Vafaee F Rakhshan V Vafaei M Khoshhal M. Accuracy of shade matching performed by colour blind and normal dental students using 3D Master and Vita Lumin shade guides. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 2012; 20:23-25.
36. Cal E Sonugelen M Guneri P Kesercioglu A Kose T. Application of a digital technique in evaluating the reliability of shade guides. J Oral Rehabil 2004; 31:483-491.