The bidirectional relationship between periodontitis and diabetes mellitus can cause distinct oral symptoms that can impact the general health conditions of affected patients. The presented case report of a female diabetes type 2 patient with severe periodontitis and a periodontal abscess shows how interdisciplinary collaboration between the attending physician and dentist can significantly improve oral conditions and metabolic control.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. ADA. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2010;33(Suppl 1):S62-69.
2. Laine ML Crielaard W Loos BG. Genetic susceptibility to periodontitis. Periodontol 2000 2012;58(1):37-68.
3. Chavarry NG Vettore MV Sansone C Sheiham A. The relationship between diabetes mellitus and destructive periodontal disease: a meta-analysis. Oral Health Prev Dent 2009;7(2):107-127.
4. Haber J Wattles J Crowley M Mandell R Joshipura K Kent RL. Evidence for cigarette smoking as a major risk factor for periodontitis. J Periodontol 1993;64(1):16-23.
5. Loe H Theilade E Jensen SB. Experimental gingivitis in man. J Periodontol 1965;36:177-187.
6. Oanta C Pasarin L Ursarescu I Martu A Martu S. Impact of Oral Health Education and a Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy on the Quality of Life of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Balk J Dent Med 2015; 19:167-170
7. Whiting DR Guariguata L Weil C Shaw J. IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011;94(3):311-321.
8. Lalla E Papapanou PN. Diabetes mellitus and periodontitis: a tale of two common interrelated diseases. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2011;7(12):738-748.
9. Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Ann Periodontol 1999;4(1):1-6.
10. Kwok V Caton JG. Commentary: prognosis revisited: a system for assigning periodontal prognosis. J Periodontol 2007;78(11):2063-2071.
11. Lang NP Tonetti MS. Periodontal risk assessment (PRA) for patients in supportive periodontal therapy (SPT). Oral Health Prev Dent 2003;1(1):7-16.
12. Chapple IL Genco R. EFPAAP working group 2 of the joint diabetes and periodontal diseases: consensus report of the Joint EFP/AAP Workshop on Periodontitis and Systemic Diseases. J Periodontol 2013;84(Suppl. 4):S106-112.
13. Sonnenschein SK Meyle J. Local inflammatory reactions in patients with diabetes and periodontitis. Periodontol 2000 2015;69(1):221-254.
14. Gopal S Joseph R Santhosh VC Kumar VVH Shiny Joseph S Shete AR. Prevalence of gingival overgrowth induced by antihypertensive drugs: A hospital-based study. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2015;19(3):308-311.
15. Trackman PC Kantarci A. Connective tissue metabolism and gingival overgrowth. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2004;15(3):165-175.
16. Dannewitz B Krieger JK Simon I Dreyhaupt J Staehle HJ Eickholz P. Full-mouth disinfection as a nonsurgical treatment approach for drug-induced gingival overgrowth: a series of 11 cases. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2010;30(1):63-71.