Infective endocarditis (IE), an infection of the endocardium that usually involves the valves and adjacent structures, may be caused by a wide variety of bacteria and fungi that entered the bloodstream and settled in the heart lining, a heart valve or a blood vessel. The IE is uncommon, but people with some heart conditions have a greater risk of developing it. Despite advances in medical, surgical, and critical care interventions, the IE remains a disease that is associated with considerable morbidity and mortality. Hence, in order to minimize the risk of adverse outcome and achieve a yet better management of complications, it is crucial to increase the awareness of all the prophylactic measures of the IE.
For the past 50 years, the guidelines for the IE prophylaxis have been under constant changes. The purpose of this paper is to review current dental and medical literature considering the IE prophylaxis, including the new and updated guidelines from the American Heart Association (AHA, 2007 and 2015), the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE, 2015), the European Society of Cardiology (ESC, 2009 and 2015) and the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC, 2006).
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
5. Wilson W Taubert KA Gewitz M Lockhart PB Baddour LM Levison M Bolger A et al. Prevention of infective endocarditis: guidelines from the American Heart Association: a guideline from the American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever Young and the Council on Clinical Cardiology Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia and the Quality Care of Outcomes Research interdisciplinary Working Group. Circulation 2007; 116:1736-1754.
6. Baddour LM Wilson WR Bayer AS Fowler VG Jr Tleyjeh IM Rybak MJ et al. American Heart Association Committee on Rheumatic Fever Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Council on Clinical Cardiology Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia and Stroke Council. Infective Endocarditis in Adults: Diagnosis Antimicrobial Therapy and Management of Complications: A Scientific Statement for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association. Circulation 2015; 132:1435-1486.
7. Baltimore RS Gewitz M Baddour LM Beerman LB Jackson MA Lockhart PB et al. American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young and the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing. Infective Endocarditis in Childhood: 2015 Update: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2015; 132:1487-1515.
9. Habib G Hoen B Tornos P Thuny F Prendergast B Vilacosta I et al. ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. Guidelines on the prevention diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis (new version 2009): the Task Force on the Prevention Diagnosis and Treatment of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2009; 30:2369-2413.
10. Habib G Lancellotti P Antunes MJ Bongiorni MG Casalta JP Del Zotti F et al. ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: The Task Force for the Management of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2015; 36:3075-3128.
11. Gould FK Elliott TS Foweraker J Fulford M Perry JD Roberts GJ Sandoe JA et al. Guidelines for the prevention of endocarditis: report of the Working Party of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006; 57:1035-1042.
12. Zouridaki T Zervou-Valvi F. Antimicrobial chemoprophylaxis for prevention of infective endocarditis in Dentistry. Helle Hospital Dent 2010; 3:13-20.
13. Lockhart PB Loven B Brennan MT Fox PC. The evidence base for the efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in dental practice. JADA 2007; 138:458-474.
14. Little JW Falace DA Miller CS Rhodus NL. Dental management of the medically compromised patient. Ed 8. Elsevier 2013; pp 19-36.
15. Ratib K Bhatia G Uren N Nolan J. Emergency Cardiology. Ed 2. Hodder Education 2011; pp 188-202.
16. Karchmer AW. Infective endocarditis. In: Libby P (Ed). Braunwald’s heart disease a textbook of cardiovascular medicine. Ed 8. Philadelphia: Saunders 2008; pp 1713-1738.
17. Ito HO. Infective endocarditis and dental procedures: evidence pathogenesis and prevention. J Med Invest 2006 53:189-198.
18. Fowler VG Jr Bayer A. Infective endocarditis. In: Goldman L (Ed). Cecil medicine. Ed 23. Philadelphia: Saunders 2008; pp 537-548.
19. Hoen B Duval X. Infective Endocarditis. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1425-1433.
20. Bashore TM Cabell C Fowler V Jr. Update on infective endocarditis. Curr Probl Cardiol 2006; 31:274-352.
21. Velicki L Šušak S Čemerlić-Ađić N Redžek A. Aortic Valve Endocarditis. In: Chen YF (Ed). Aortic Valve. In Tech: 2011; pp 73-89.
22. Mang-de la Rosa MR Castellanos-Cosano L Romero- Perez MJ Cutando A. The bacteremia of dental origin and its implications in the appearance of bacterial endocarditis. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2014; 19:67-73.
23. Mellors J Horwitz R Harvey M Horwitz S. A simple index to identify occult bacterial infection in adults with acute unexplained fever. Arch Intern Med 1987; 147:666-671.
24. Marantz P Linzer M Feiner C Feinstein S Kozin A Friedland G. Inability to predict diagnosis in febrile intravenous drug abusers. Ann Intern Med 1987; 106:823-828.
25. Douglas L Mann MD Douglas P Zipes MD Peter Libby MD Robert O et al. Braunwald’s Heart Disease. A textbook of cardiovascular medicine. Ed 10. Saunders an imprint of Elsevier Inc 2015; pp 235-236 1524-1543.
26. Sakellari D. New guidelines for antimicrobial chemotherapy for cardiologic patients in Dentistry. Helle Stomatol Rev 2008; 52:103-107.
27. Round H Kirkpatrick HJR Hails CG. Further investigations on bacteriological infections of the mouth. Proc R Soc Med 1936; 29:1552-1556.
28. Bashore TM Cabell C Fowler V Jr. Update on infective endocarditis. Curr Probl Cardiol 2006; 31:274-352.
29. Maharaj B Parrish A. Prevention of infective endocarditis in developing countries. Cardiovasc J Afr 2012; 23:303-305.
30. Baddour LM Wilson WR Bayer AS Fowler VG Jr Bolger AF Levison ME et al. Infective endocarditis: diagnosis antimicrobial therapy and management of complications: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Rheumatic Fever Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young and the Councils on Clinical Cardiology Stroke and Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia American Heart Association. Circulation 2005; 111:394-434.
31. Li JS Sexton DJ Mick N Nettles R Fowler VG Jr Ryan T Bashore T et al. Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 30:633-638.
32. Lockhart PB. The risk for endocarditis in dental practice. Periodontol 2000; 23:127-135.
33. Roberts GJ Jaffray EC Spratt DA Petrie A Greville C Wilson M Lucas VS. Duration prevalence and intensity of bacteraemia after dental extractions in children. Heart 2006; 92:1274-1277.
34. Faden HS. Dental procedures and bacteremia (letter). Ann Intern Med 1974; 81:274.
35. Dalampiras S. Antibiotic prophylaxis in oral surgery. Odontostomatol News 2001; 2:61-65.
36. Almaghout TP Karagkiozaki V Litsas I Zorbas A. The role of the dentist in the prevention of infective endocarditis. Helle Stomatol Rev 2005; 49:147-154.
37. Sconyers JR Crawford JJ Moriarty JD. Relationship of bacteremia to toothbrushing in patients with periodontitis. J Am Dent Assoc 1973; 87:616-622.
38. O’Leary TJ Shafer WG Swenson HM Nesler DC Van Dorn PR. Possible penetration of crevicular tissue from oral hygiene procedures. I. Use of oral irrigating devices. J Periodontol 1970; 41:158-162.
39. Rise E Smith JF Bell J. Reduction of bacteremia after oral manipulations. Arch Otolaryngol 1969; 90:198-201.
40. Felix JE Rosen S App GR. Detection of bacteremia after the use of an oral irrigation device in subjects with periodontitis. J Periodontol 1971; 42:785-787.
41. Crasta K Daly CG Mitchell D Curtis B Stewart D Heitz- Mayfield LJ. Bacteremia due to dental flossing. J Clin Periodontol 2009; 36:323-332.
42. Durack DT. Antibiotics for prevention of endocarditis during dentistry: time to scale back? Ann Intern Med 1998; 129: 829-831.
43. Durack DT. Prevention of infective endocarditis. N Engl J Med 1995; 332:38-44.
44. Strom BL Abrutyn E Berlin JA Kinman JL Feldman RS Stolley PD Levison ME et al. Dental and cardiac risk factors for infective endocarditis. A populationbased case-control study. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129:761-769.
45. Arapostathis ΚΝ Topitsoglou V Kalfas S. Changing the guidelines for the prevention of infective endocarditis. From the chemoprophylaxis to the classical prevention. Helle Stomatol Rev 2009; 53:279-290.
46. Seymour RA Lowry R Whitworth JM Martin MV. Infective endocarditis dentistry and antibiotic prophylaxis; time for a rethink? Br Dent J 2000; 189:610-616.
47. Glenny AM Oliver R Roberts GJ Hooper L Worthington HV. Antibiotics for the prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in dentistry (Review). The Cochrane Library 2013; 10:1-27.
48. Oliver R Roberts GJ Hooper L Worthington HV. Antibiotics for the prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in dentistry (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 4:1-23.
49. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Clinical Affairs committee Council on Clinical Affairs. Guideline on Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Dental Patients at Risk for Infection. Pediatr Dent 2008-2009; 30:215-218.
50. Canadian Dental Association. CDA Position on Infective Endocarditis. February 2014.
51. Findler M Chackartchi T Regev E. Dental implants in patients at high risk for infective endocarditis: a preliminary study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 43:1282-1285.
52. Brincat M Savarrio L Saunders W. Endodontics and infective endocarditis - is antimicrobial chemoprophylaxis required? Int Endod J 2006; 39:671-682.
53. Schlein RA Kudlick EM Reindorf CA Gregory J Royal GC. Toothbrushing and transient bacteremia in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1991; 99:466-472.
54. Vrettos A Pepelassi E. New biologic concept on the prevention of infective endocarditis in Dentistry. Helle Stomatol Rev 2009; 53:59-69.
55. Löffler C Böhmer F Hornung A Lang H Burmeister U Podbielski A et al. Dental care resistance prevention and antibiotic prescribing modification - the cluster-randomised controlled DREAM trial. Implementat Sci 2014; 9:27.