Objective(s): Peripheral giant cell granuloma (PGCG) is a reactive, proliferative, exophytic lesion developing on the gingiva and alveolar ridge, originating from the periosteum or periodontal membrane. The lesion develops mostly in adults, commonly in the lower jaw, with slight female predilection although is uncommon in children.
Cases Report: Two boys, 11 and 8-years-old respectively, otherwise healthy, presented with gingival exophytic lesions in our clinic. In the first case the lesion was located in the right maxilla and appeared 4 months ago, whereas in the second case the fast growing lesion was located in the mandible and appeared 2 months ago. The lesions were red-blue enlargements, irregular and elliptical in shape respectively, soft to firm on palpation. Based on clinical examination, the initial diagnosis was assumed to be a type of reactive hyperplasia. OPG and CBCT showed no evidence of bone pathology. Blood, biochemical and hormonal investigations were within the normal values. Both lesions were surgically removed and histological examination established the diagnosis of PGCG. 4 consecutive follow ups have been done, with no evidence of recurrence.
Conclusion: This uncommon lesion in children should be included in the differential diagnosis of reactive hyperplasia. The treatment of PGCG comprises surgical resection, along with suppression of the underlying etiologic factors.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Chaparro-Avendano AV Berini-Aytes L Gay-Escoda C. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. A report of five cases and review of the literature. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005; 10:53-57.
2. Bhat SS Jayakrishnan A Rao BH Kudva S. Peripheral giant cell granuloma - a case report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 1999; 17:93-96.
3. Katsikeris N Kakarantza-Angelopoulou E Angelopoulos A. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: clinico-pathologic study of 224 new cases and 956 reported cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1988; 17:94-99.
4. Mighell AJ Robinson PA Hume WJ. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a clinical study of 77 cases from 62 patients and literature review. Oral Dis 1995; 1:12-19.
5. Wolfson L Tal H. Peripheral giant cell granuloma during orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1989; 96:519-23
6. Shadman N Ebrahimi SF Jafari S Eslami M. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a review of 123 cases. Dental Research Journal 2009; 6:47-50.
7. Flaitz CM. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a potentially aggressive lesion in children. Pediatr Dent 2000; 22:232-233.
8. Kfir Y Buchner A Hansen L. Reactive lesions of the gingiva. A clinico-pathological study of 741 cases. J Periodontol 1980; 51:655-661.
9. Giansanti JS Waldron CA. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: review of 720 cases. J Oral Surg 1969; 27:787-791.
10. Motamedi MH Eshghyar N Jafari SM Lassemi E Navi F Abbas FM et al. Peripheral and central giant cell granulomas of the jaws: a demographic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 103:e39-e43.
11. Buchner A Shnaiderman-Shapiro A Vered M. Pediatric Localized Reactive Gingival Lesions: A Retrospective Study from Israel. Pediatr Dent 2010; 32:486-492.
12. Sklavounou-Andrikopoulou A Piperi E Papanikolaou V Karakoulakis I. Oral soft tissue lesions in Greek children and adolescents: A retrospective analysis over a 32-year period. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2005; 29:175-178.
13. Bodner L Peist M Gatot A Fliss DM. Growth potential of peripheral giant cell granuloma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997; 83:548-551.
14. Zhang W Chen Y An Z Geng N Bao D. Reactive gingival lesions: a retrospective study of 2439 cases. Quintessence Int 2007; 38:103-110.
15. Zarei MR Chamani G Amanpoor S. Reactive hyperplasia of the oral cavity in Kerman province Iran: a review of 172 cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007; 45:288-292.
16. Salum FG Yurgel LS Cherubini K De Figueiredo MA Medeiros IC Nicola FS. Pyogenic granuloma peripheral giant cell granuloma and peripheral ossifying fibroma: retrospective analysis of 138 cases. Minerva Stomatol 2008; 57:227-232.
17. Bhaskar NS Cutright DE Beasley JD Pérez B. Giant cell reparative granuloma (peripheral): report of 50 cases. J Oral Surg 1971; 29:110-115.
18. Lester R Cordell K Rosebush M Palaiologou A Maney P. Peripheral giant cell granulomas: a series of 279 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2014; 118:475-482.