Lasers have found important role in clinical application, science and scientific research. The aim of this review is to focus on using soft tissue laser in endodontic treatments.
The main goal of endodontic treatment is elimination of pathogenic microorganisms from root canal system. Laser light has the ability to reach parts of the tissue and areas where classical techniques and instruments cannot. New approaches to disinfecting root canals have been proposed recently, which include the use of high-power diode lasers, as well as disinfection of the root canal by using photodynamic therapy. A research is necessary to define a precise protocol for high-power laser and photodynamic therapy in treatment of the root canal system.
2. Myers TD, Myers WD, Stone RM. First soft tissue study utilizing a pulsed Nd:YAG dental laser. Northwest Dent, 1989; 68:14-17.
3. Frentzen M, Koort HJ. Lasers in dentistry: New possibilities with advancing laser technology. Int Dent J, 1990; 40:323-332.
4. Aoki A, Ando Y, Watanabe H, Ishikawa I. In vitro studies on laser scaling of sub-gingival calculus with an erbium: YAG laser. J Periodontol, 1994; 65:1097-1106.
5. Pelagalli J, Gimbel CB, Hansen RT, Swett A, Winn DW. II Investigational study of the use of Er: YAG Laser versus dental drill for caries removal and cavity preparation - Phase I. J Clin Laser Med Surg, 1997; 15:109-115.
6. Reinisch L. Laser physics and tissue interactions. Otolaryngol Clin North Am, 1996; 29:893-914.
7. Coluzzi DJ. An overview of laser wavelengths used in dentistry. Dent Clin North Am, 2000; 44:753-765.
8. Bornstein ES. Why wavelength and delivery systems are the most important factors in using a dental hard-tissue laser: a literature review. Compend Contin Educ Dent, 2003; 24:837-838, 841, 843 passim; quiz 848.
9. Wigdor H. Basic physics of laser interaction with vital tissue. Alpha Omegan, 2008; 101:127-132.
10. Fisher JC. Photons, physiatrics, and physicians: a practical guide to understanding laser light interaction with living tissue, part I. J Clin Laser Med Surg, 1992; 10:419-426.
11. Driggers RG. Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering. New York: Taylor & Francis; 2003.
12. Niemz MH. Laser-Tissue Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications (Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering). Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 2007.
16. Bago I, et al. Antimicrobial efficacy of a high-power diode laser, photo-activated disinfection, conventional and sonic activated irrigation during root canal treatment. Int Endod J, 2013; 46:339-347.
17. Vaziri S, Kangarlou A, Shahbazi R, Nasab AN, Naseri M. Comparison of the bactericidal efficacy of photodynamic therapy, 2.5% sodium hypochlorite, and 2% chlorhexidine against Enterococcous faecalis in root canals; an in vitro study. Dent Res J (Isfahan), 2012; 9:613-618.
18. Verma KS, Maheshwari S, RK Singh, Chaudha PK. Laser in dentistry: An innovative tool in modern dental practice. Natl J Maxillofac Surg, 2012; 3:124-132.
19. Siqueira JF Jr. Endodontic infections: concepts, paradigms, and perspectives. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2002; 94:281-293.
20. Bonsor SJ, Nichol R, Reid TM, Pearson GJ. Microbiological evaluation of photo-activated disinfection in endodontics (an in vivo study). Br Dent J, 2006; 200:337-341.
21. Sedgley C. Root canal irrigation - A historical perspective. J Hist Dent, 2004; 52:61-65.
22. Bahcall JK, Miserendino L, Walia H, Belardi DW. Scanning electron microscopic comparison of canal preparation with Nd:YAG laser and hand instrumentation: a preliminary study. Gen Dent, 1993; 41:45-47.
23. Lee MT, Bird PS, Walsh LJ. Photo-activated disinfection of the root canal: a new role for lasers in endodontics. Aust Endod J, 2004; 30:93-98.
24. Seal GJ, Ng YL, Spratt D, Bhatti M, Gulabivala K. An in vitro comparison of the bactericidal efficacy of lethal photosensitization or sodium hypochlorite irrigation on Streptococcus intermedius biofilms in root canals. Int Endod J, 2002; 35:268-274.
25. Garcez AS, Silvia Cristina Nuñez SC, Hamblin MR, Ribeiro MS. Antimicrobial Effects of Photodynamic Therapy on Patients with Necrotic Pulps and Periapical Lesion. J Endod, 2008; 34:138-142.
26. Berutti E, Marini R, Angeretti A. Penetration ability of different irrigants into dentinal tubules. J Endod, 1997; 23:725-727.
27. Ng R, Singh F, Papamanou DA, et al. Endodontic photodynamic therapy ex vivo. J Endod, 2011; 37:217-222.
28. Meire MA, Coenye T, Nelis HJ, De Moor RJ. In vitro inactivation of endodontic pathogens with Nd:YAG and Er:YAG lasers. Lasers Med Sci, 2011; 27:695-701.
29. Robert A. Principles and Practice of Laser dentistry. New York: Hospital Queens, Private Practice. 2010; pp 263-286.
30. Myers TD. Lasers in dentistry: their application in clinical practice. J Am Dent Assoc, 1991; 122:46-50.
31. Gabric Panduric D, et al. A Textbook of Advanced Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Chapter 13. In Tech. 2013.
32. Kustarc A, Sümer Z, Altunbas D, Kosum S. Bactericidal effect of KTP laser irradiation against Enterococcus faecalis compared with gaseous ozone: an ex vivo study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2009; 107:e73-e79.
33. Bahcall J, Howard P, Miserendino L, Walia H. Preliminary investigation of the histological effects of laser endodontic treatment on the periradicular tissues in dogs. J Endod, 1992; 18:47-51.
34. Wyman A, Duffy S, Sweetland HL, Sharp F, Rogers K. Preliminary evaluation of a new high power diode laser. Lasers Surg Med, 1992; 12:506-509.
35. Souza EB, Amorim CVG, Lage-Marques JL. Effect of diode laser irradiation on the apical sealing of MTA retrofillings. Braz Oral Res, 2006; 20:231-234.
36. Stabholz A, Zeltser R, Sela M, Peretz B, Moshonov J, Ziskind D, et al. The use of lasers in dentistry: principles of operation and clinical applications. Compend Cont Educ Dent, 2003; 24:935-941.
37. Theodoro LH, Haypek P, Bachmann L, Garcia VG, Sampaio JEC, Zezell DM, et al. Effect of Er:YAG and diode laser irradiation on the root surface: morphological and thermal analysis. J Periodontol, 2003; 74:838-843.
38. Pearson GJ, Schuckert KH. The role of lasers in dentistry: present and future. Dent Update, 2003; 30:70-76.
39. Ochsner M. Photophysical and Photobiological processes in the photodiynamic therapy of tumors. J Photochem Photobiol B, 1997; 39:1-18.
40. Rajesh S, et al. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy: An overview. J Indian Soc Periodontol, 2011; 15:323-327.
41. Meisel P, Kocher T. Photodynamic therapy for periodontal diseases: state of the art. J Photochem Photobiol B, 2005; 79:159-170.
42. Hayek RR, Araujo NS, Gioso MA, et al. Comparative study between the effects of photodynamic therapy and conventional therapy on microbial reduction in ligature-induced peri-implantitis in dogs. J Periodontol, 2005; 76:1275-1281.
43. Walsh LJ. The current status of laser applications in dentistry. Aust Dent J, 2003; 48:146-155.
44. Soukos NS, Chen PS, Morris JT, Ruggiero K, Abernethy AD, Som S, et al. Photodynamic therapy for endodontic disinfection. J Endod, 2006; 32:979-984.
45. Konopka K, Goslinski T. Photodynamic therapy in dentistry. J Dent Res, 2007; 86:694-707.
46. Pinheiro SL, et al. Photodynamic therapy in endodontic treatment of deciduous teeth. Lasers Med Sci, 2009; 24:521-526.
47. Fimple JL, Fontana CR, Foschi F, Ruggiero K, Song X, Pagonis T, Tanner A, Kent R, Doukas A, Stashenko P, Soukos N. Photodynamic Treatment of Endodontic Polymicrobial Infection In Vitro. J Endod, 2008; 34:728-734.