Objectives: To compare the effects of airborne-particle abrasion (APA) and tribochemical silica coating (TSC) surface treatment methods on the shear bond strength of zirconia ceramics systems, resin cements and tooth surface
Materials and Methods: Prefabricated Cercon and ZirkonZahn specimens treated with Al2O3 APA and TSC (Cojet, 3M ESPE) were luted on a dentin surface with Panavia F 2.0 (Kuraray, Japan) and Multilink Automix (Ivoclar Vivadent, Liechstein). The specimens were immersed in distilled water (37°C) for 30 days and then loaded in a universal test machine with a crosshead speed of 1 mm/min. Shear bond strength at failure was measured and recorded in N. The data were analysed by Mann-Whitney-U test (p<0.005) and by Chi-square test.
Results: It’s demonstrated that the surface treatment affected the bond strength of all specimens. The mean bond strength values of the 2 zirconia systems were nearly the same. Shear bond strength of Cercon specimens treated with Cojet System, luted with Panavia 2.0 (242, 77 ± 53, 17 N were found to be significantly higher (p=0.04) than the other specimens. Fractures were observed at the interface between the ceramic surface and the cements or within the cements.
Conclusion: There were no statically significant differences between zirconium systems (Cercon and Zirkonzahn). The specimens luted with Panavia F 2.0 showed higher shear bond strength values than the specimens luted with Multilink Automix. Panavia F 2.0 cement could be used with TSC, when the additive retention was needed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Andersson M Oden A. A new all-ceramic crown - A densesintered high purity alumina coping with porcelain. Acta Odontol Scand 1993; 51:59-64.
2. Aboushelib MN Kleverlaan CJ Feilzer AJ. Effect of Zirconia Type on Its Bond Strength with Different Veneer Ceramics. J Prosthodont 2008; 17:401-408.
3. Piconi C Maccauro G. Zirconia as a ceramic biomaterial. Biomaterials 1999; 20:1-25.
4. Tinschert J Natt G Hassenpflug S et al. Status of current CAD/CAM technology in dental medicine. Int J Comput Dent 2004; 7:25-45.
5. Reichert A Herkommer D Müller W. Copy milling of zirconia. Spectrum Dialogue 2007; 6:40-56
6. Phark JH Duarte S Blatz M Sadan A. An in-vitro evaluation of the long term resin bond to a new densely sintered high-purity zirconium-oxide ceramic surface. J Prosthet Dent 2009; 101:29-38.
7. Derand P Derand T. Bond strength of luting cements to zirconium oxide ceramics. Int J Prosthodont 2000; 13:131-135.
8. Ozcan M Vallittu PK. Effect of surface conditioning methods on the bond strength of luting cement to ceramics. Dent Mater 2003; 19:725-731.
9. Blatz MB Sadan A Kern M. Resin ceramic bonding: a review of literature. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 89:268-274.
10. Kern M Thompson Van P. Bonding to glass infiltrated alumina ceramics: Adhesive methods and their durability. J Prosthet Dent 1995; 73:240-249.
11. Ozcan M. The use of silica coating for different dental applications: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 2002; 87:469-472.
12. Valandro LF Della Bona A Bottino MA Neisser MP. The effect of ceramic surface treatment on bonding to densely sintered alumina ceramic. J Prosthet Dent 2005; 93:253-259.
13. Ozcan M. A practical method for chairside repair of debonded porcelain denture teeth. J Prosthodont 2006; 15(1):47-50.
14. Oyagüe CR Monticelli F Toledano M Osorio E Ferrari M Osorio R. Influence of surface treatments and resin cement selection on bonding to densely-sintered zirconiumoxide ceramic. Dent Mater 2008; 25(2):172-179.
15. Valandro LF Ozcan M Bottino MC Bottino MA Scotti R Bona AD. Bond strength of a resin cement to high-alumina and zirconia-reinforced ceramics: the effect of surface conditioning. J Adhes Dent 2006; 8(3):175-181.
16. May LG Passas SP Capelli DB Ozacan M Bottino MA Valandro LF. Effect of silica coating combined to a MDP-based primer on the resin bond to Y-TZP ceramic. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2010; 95(2):69-74.
17. Atsu SS Kılıçarslan MA Küçükeşmen C Aka S. Effect of zirconiumoxide ceramic surface treatments on the bond strength to adhesive resin. J Prosthet Dent 2006; 95:430-436.
18. Blixt M Adamczak E Linden LA Oden A Arvidson K. Bonding to densely sintered alumina surfaces: effect of sandblasting and silica coating on shear bond strength of luting cements. Int J Prosthodont 2000; 13:221-226.
19. Blatz MB Sadan A Arch GH Lang B. In vitro evaluation of long-term bonding of Procera AllCeram alumina restorations with a modified resin luting agent. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 89:381-387.
20. Blatz MB Sadan A Martin J Lang B. In vitro evaluation of shear bond strengths of resin to densely-sintered high purity zirconium-oxide ceramic after long-term storage and thermal cycling. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 91:356-362.
21. Cardoso PEC Braga RR Carrilho MRO. Evaluation of micro-tensile shear and tensile tests determining the bond strength of three adhesive systems. Dent Mater 1998; 14(6):394-398.
22. Dundar M Özcan M Gökçe B Çömlekoğlu E Leite F Valandro LF. Comparison of two bond strength testing methodologies for bilayered all-ceramics. Dent Mater 2006; 23(5):630-636.
23. Tanumiharja M Burrow MF Tyas MJ. Microtensile bond strengths of seven dentin adhesive systems. Dent Mater 2000; 16:180-187.
24. Chaiyabutr Y McGowan S Phillips KM Kois JC Giordano RA. The effect of hydrofluoric acid surface treatment and bond strength of a zirconia veneering ceramic. J Prosthet Dent 2008; 100:194-202.
25. Hikita K Van Meerbeek B De Munck J Ikeda T Van Landuyt K Miada T Lambrechts P Peumans M. Bonding effectiveness of adhesive luting agents to enamel and dentin. Dent Mater 2006; 23:71-80.
26. Derand T Molin M Kvam K. Bond strength of composite luting cement to zirconia ceramic surfaces. Dental Mater 2005; 21:1158-1162.
27. Lüthy H Loeffel O Hammerle CH. Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater 2006; 22:195-200.
28. Borges GA Sophr MA Goes MF Sobrinho LC Chan CN. Effect of etching and airborne particle abrasion on the microstructure of different dental ceramics. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 89:479-488.
29. Ernst CP Cohnen U Stender E Willershausen B. In vitro retentive strength of zirconium oxide ceramic crowns using different luting agents. J Prosthet Dent 2005; 93:551-558.
30. Wolfart M Lehmann F Wolfart F Kern M. Durability of the resin bond strength to zirconia ceramic after using different surface conditioning methods. Dent Mater 2006; 19:27-33.
31. Amaral R Özcan M Bottino MA Valandro LF. Microtensile bond strength of a resin cement to glass infiltrated zirconia reinforced ceramic: The effect of surface conditioning. Dent Mater 2006; 22(3):283-290.
32. Filho AM Vieira LC Araujo E Monteiro Junior S. Effect of different ceramic surface treatments on resin microtensile bond strength. J Prosthodont 2004; 13(1):28-35.
33. Lu YC Tseng H Shih YH Lee SY. Effects of surface treatments on bond strength of glass-infiltrated ceramic. J Oral Rehab 2001; 28:805-813.
34. Burke FJ Fleming GJ Nathanson D Marquis PM. Are adhesive technologies needed to support ceramics? An assessment of the current evidence. J Adhes Dent 2002; 4:7-22.
35. Madani M Chu FCS McDonald AV Smales RJ. Effects of surface treatments on shear bond strength between a resin cement an alumina core. J Prosthet Dent 2000; 83:644-647.
36. Bottino MA Valandro LF Scotti R Buso L. Effect of surface treatments on the resin bond to zirconium-based ceramic. Int J Prosthodont 2005; 18:60-65.
37. Mota CS Demarco FF Camacho GM Powers JM. Tensile bond strength of four resin luting agents bonded to bovine enamel and dentin. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 89:558-564.
38. Dunn WJ Söderholm KJ. Comparison of shear and flexural bond strength tests versus failure modes of dentin bonding systems. Am J Dent 2001; 14(5):297-303.