Crowding is one of the causes of class I malocclusion. The purpose of the present study was to examine the relationship between arch length, arch width and arch perimeter in crowded and non-crowded arches, as well as to made comparison of the right and left sides between them and to find out the contributing factor in lower arch crowding. The study groups consisted of 60 subjects aged 16 to 21 years. First group consisted of 30 pairs of dental study models with class I normal occlusion. The second group consisted of 30 pairs of study models with class I crowding. Measurements of arch length and width were made as defined by Lavelle and Foster, using Korkhaus callipers. Arch perimeter was measured by Lundstrom method’s using manual calliper with sharp points. Differences between these measurements were made by Mann-Whitney U test (Z/U).
According to our study, the arch length and arch perimeter were not associated factors in contribution to lower arch crowding. In association of contributed factors on the lower arch crowding, we could mention the width of the arch, because the differences between the two groups was significantly different.
1. Agenter MK, Harris EF, Blair RN. Influence of tooth crown size on malocclusion. Am J Orthod DentofacOrthop, 2009; 136:795-804.
2. Bishara SE, Jakobsen JR, Treder JE, Stasi MJ. Changes in the maxillary and mandibular tooth size arch length relationship from early adolescence to early adulthood. A longitudinal study. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1989; 95:46-59.
3. Bishara SE, Treder J, Damon P, Olsen M. Changes in the dental arches and dentition between 25 and 45 years of age. Angle Orthod, 1996; 66:417-422.
4. Bishara SE, Jacobsen JR, Treder J, Nowak A. Arch width changes from 6 weeks to 45 years of age. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1997; 111:401-409.
5. Bishara SE, Treder JE, Jacobsen JR. Facial and dental changes in adulthood. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1994; 106:175-186.
6. Bernabé E, del Castillo CE, Flores-Mir C. Intra-arch occlusal indicators of crowding in the permanent dentition. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 2005; 128:220-225.
7. Bushcang PH, Shulman JD. Incisor crowding in untreated persons 15-50 years of age. Angle Orthod, 2003; 73:502-508.
8. Carter GA, McNamara JA. Longitudinal dental arch changes in adults. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1998; 114:88-99.
9. Forsberg CM. Tooth size and spacing in relation to eruption or impaction of third molars. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1988; 94:57-61.
10. Gilmore CA, Little RM. Mandibular incisor dimensions and crowding. Am J Orthod, 1984; 86:493-502.
11. Gianelly AA. Arch width after extraction and nonextraction treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 2003; 123:25.
12. Hamid MW, Rahbar MI. Dental crowding and its relationship to tooth size and arch dimensions. Pak Oral Dent J, 2005; 25:47-52.
13. Howe RP, McNamara JA, Oconnor K. An examination of dental crowding and its relationship to tooth size and arch dimension. Am J Orthod, 1983; 83:363-373.
14. Little RM, Wallen TR, Riedel RA. Stability and relapse of mandibular anterior alignment. First premolar extraction cases treated by traditional edgewise orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1981; 80:349-365.
15. Lundström A. Changes in crowding and spacing of the teeth with age. Dent Pract, 1968; 19:218-224.
16. Mckeown M. The diagnosis of incipient arch crowding in children. NZ Dent J, 1981; 77:93-96.
17. Mills LF. Arch Width, Arch Length and Tooth Size in Young Adult Males. Angle Orthod, 1964; 34:124-129.
18. Nimkarn Y, Miles PO, O’Reil MT. The validity of maxillary expansion indices. Angle Orthod, 1995; 5:321-326
19. Niedzielska I. Third molar influence on dental arch crowding. Eur J Orthod, 2005; 27:518-523.
20. Nordeval K, Wisth PJ, Boe OE. Mandibular anterior crowding in relation to tooth size and craniofacial morphology. Scand J Dent Res, 1975; 83:267-273.
21. Randzic D. Dental crowding and its relationship to mesiodistal crown diameters and arch dimension. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 1988; 94:50-56.
22. Sanin C, Savara BS. Factors that affect the alignment of the mandibular incisors. Am J Orthod, 1973; 64:248-257.
23. Sinclair PM, Little RM. Maturation of untreated normal occlusions. Am J Orthod, 1983; 83:114-123.
24. Shah AA, Eleock C, Brook AH. Incisor crown shape and crowding. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop, 2003; 123:562-567.