The aim of this report was to present a patient with atrophic posterior mandible, rehabilitated with endosteal dental implants after a sandwich osteotomy of the mandible. Some aspects of the procedure are discussed as well as its outcome.
1. Egbert M, Stoelinga PJ, Blijdrop PA, de Koomen HA. The “threepiece” osteotomy and interpositional bone graft for augmentation of the atrophic mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1986; 44:680-687.
2. Lew D, Hinkle R, Unhold G, Shroyer J III, Stutes R. Reconstruction of the severely atrophic edentulous mandible by means of autogenous bone grafts and simultaneous placement of osseointegrated implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1991; 49:228-233.
3. Quinn P, Kent K, MacAfee K II. Reconstructing the atrophic mandible with inferior border grafting and implants: A preliminary report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 1992; 7:87-93.
4. Moloney F, Stoelinga P, Tideman H, de Koomen H. Recent development in interpositional bone-grafting of the atrophic mandible. J Maxillofac Surg, 1985; 13:14-23.
5. Lew D, Clark R, Jimenez F. Autogenous rib graft-hydroxylapatite augmentation of the severely atrophic mandible: Preliminary report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1986; 44:606-608.
6. Bell R, BlakeyG, White R, Hillebrand D, Molina A. Staged reconstruction of the severely atrophic mandible with autogenous bone graft and endosteal implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2002; 60:1135-1141.
7. McGrath C, Schepers S, Blijdorp P, Hoppenreijs T, Erbe M. Simultaneous placement of endosteal implants and mandibular onlay grafting for treatment of the atrophic mandible. A preliminary report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1996; 25:184-188.
8. Stoelinga P, Blijdorp P, Ross R, de Koomen H, Huybers T. Augmentation of the atrophic mandible with interposed bone grafts and particulate hydroxylapatite. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1986; 44:353-360.
9. Chiapasco M, Consolo U, Bianchi A, Ronchi P. Alveolar distraction osteogenesis for the correction of vertically deficient edentulous ridges: A multicenter prospective study on humans. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2004; 19:399-407.
10. Bell RB, Blakey GH, White RP, et al. Stages reconstruction of the severely atrophic mandible with autogenous bone graft and endosteal implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2002; 60:1135.
11. Maloney F, Tideman H, Stoelinga PJW, et al. Interpostitional bone-grafting of the atrophic edentulous mandible: A review. Aust Dent J, 1985; 30:211.
12. Tallgren A. The continued reduction of the residual alveolar ridges in complete denture wearers: A mixed longitudinal study covering 25 years. J Prosthet Dent, 1972; 27:120.
13. Vermeeren JI, Wismeijer D, van Waas MA. One-step reconstruction of the severely resorbed mandible with onlay bone grafts and endosteal implants. A 5-year follow-up. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1996; 25:112-115.
14. Dahlin C, Lekholm U, Linde A. Membrane-induced bone augmentation at titanium implants. A report on ten fixtures followed from 1 to 3 years after loading. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent, 1991; 11:273-281.
15. Jovanovic SA, Spiekermann H, Richter EJ. Bone regeneration around titanium dental implants in dehisced defect sites: A clinical study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 1992; 7:233-245.
16. Buser D, Dula K, Lang NP, Nyman S. Long term stability of osseointegrated implants in bone regenerated with the membrane technique: 5-year results of a prospective study with 12 implants. Clin Oral Implants Res, 1996; 7:175-183.
17. Tinti C, Parma-Benfenati S. Vertical ridge augmentation: Surgical protocol and retrospective evaluation of 48 consecutively inserted implants. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent, 1998; 5:434-443.
18. Von Arx T, Hardt N, Wallkamm B. The TIME technique: A new method for localized alveolar ridge augmentation prior to placement of dental implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 1996; 11:387-394.
19. Roccuzzo M, Ramieri G, Spada M, Bianchi S, Berrone S. Vertical alveolar ridge augmentation by means of a titanium mesh and autogenous bone grafts. Clin Oral Implants Res, 2004; 15:73-81.
20. Harle F. Visor osteotomy to increase the absolute height of the atrophic mandible. A preliminary report. J Maxillofac Surg, 1975; 3:257-260.
21. Schettler D. Sandwich technique with cartilage transplant for raising the alveolar process in the lower jaw. Fortschr Kiefer Gesichtschir, 1976; 20:61-63.
22. Scarano A, Carinci F, Assenza B, Piattelli M, Murmura G, Piattelli A. Vertical ridge augmentation of atrophic posterior mandible using an inlay technique with a xenograft without miniscrews and miniplates: case series. Clin Oral Implants Res, 2011; 22(10):1125-1130.