Multiple myeloma is a malignant disease that results in the proliferation of a single plasma cell clone. The clinical manifestations are anemia, bone pain, bone fractures, hypercalcemia, hypergammaglobulinemia, increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate, rouleaux formation on the peripheral blood smear and rarely increased serum viscosity. Rarely cast nephropathy associated with acute renal failure may be the first finding of multiple myeloma. We report a clinical case of a 44-year-old female patient who presented with acute renal failure due to cast nephropathy without myeloma’s typical clinical and laboratory findings. In the clinical case presented here, we highlight that multiple myeloma can be presented with acute renal failure and without any other typical symptoms.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Akar H Seldin DC Magnani B et al. Quantitative serum free light chain assay in the diagnostic evaluation of AL amyloidosis. Amyloid 2005; 12(4): 210-215.
2. Herrara GA(ed). The kidney in plasma cell dyscrasias Contrib Nephrol Basel Karger 2007; 153: 25-43.
3. Herrara GA(ed). The kidney in plasma cell dyscrasias Contrib Nephrol Basel Karger 2007; 153: 5-24.
4. Herrara GA(ed). The kidney in plasma cell dyscrasias Contrib Nephrol Basel Karger 2007; 153: 66-86.
5. Vieira-Leite-Segundo A Lima Falcão MF Correia-Lins Filho R Multiple myeloma with primary manifestation in the mandible: a case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2008; 13(4): E232-E234.
6. Mangad F. and Bouchti I. Multiple Myeloma in Unusually Young Patient: A Case Report. International Journal of Clinical Medicine 2014; 5: 890-893.
7. Blade J Fernandez-Llama P Bosch F et al. Renal failure in multiple myeloma: presenting features and predictors of outcome in 94 patients from a single institution. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 1889-1893.
8. Border WA Cohen AH. Renal biopsy diagnosis of clinically silent multiple myeloma. Ann Intern Med 1980; 93(1): 43-46.
9. Borrego-Hinojosa J Perez-del Barrio MP Biechy-Baldan Mdel M et al. Treatment by long haemodialysis sessions with high cut-off filters in myeloma cast nephropathy: our experience. Nefrologia 2013; 33(4): 515-523.
10. Imen Gorsane S Barbouch M Mayara K et al. Renal Impairment in Multiple Myeloma: A Single Center Experience. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2016; 27(3): 480-485.