Study aim: We examine the body sway differences between a) pistol and rifle and b) elite and national level senior male Olympic shooters, as well as the possible relation between body sway and performance at competition in Olympic shooting.
Material and methods: Two body sway tests (feet together and feet apart) were performed by 28 Spanish male senior Olympic shooters just before competition. Performance was measured as the actual score at competition. Total center of mass (COM) areas and average/maximum COM velocities were calculated from force platform data. ANCOVA tests were implemented with age as a covariable. The non-parametric test U of Mann Whitney was used to study the differences between national and elite shooters. Pearson correlations were used to examine the relation between performance and total COM area.
Results: At the feet apart position, rifle and elite shooters were found to have statistically less body sway than pistol and national level shooters respectively (total COM areas: F1,25 = 6.7; p < 0.05, and Z = 2.36; p < 0.01). No statistically significant differences were found regarding the feet together position, regardless the level or discipline (total COM areas: F1,25 = 1.49 ; p > 0.05; 1 – β = 0.22, average COM velocities: F1,25 = 0.58; p > 0.05; 1 – β = 0.11, maximum COM velocities: F1,25 = 0.03; p > 0.05; 1 – β = 0.05). No significant relation was found between body sway and performance at competition (feet together: r = 0.13, feet apart: r = 0.14, p > 0.05). Age and body sway were not found to be significantly correlated (F1,25 = 0.23; p > 0.05; 1 – β = 0.08).
Conclusions: Easy to carry out, non-specific body sway tests can be used for the selection of novice shooters.
1. Aalto H., I. Pyykkö, R. Ilmarinen, E. Kähkönen, J. Starck (1990) Postural stability in shooters. ORL J. Otorhinolaryngol. Relat. Spec., 52: 232-238.
2. Baca A., P. Kornfeind (2012) Stability analysis of motion patterns in biathlon shooting, Hum. Mov. Sci., 31(2): 295-302.
3. Ball K.A., R.J. Best, T.V. Wrigley (2003a) Inter-and intra-individual analysis in elite sport: pistol shooting. J. Appl. Biomech., 19: 28-38.
4. Ball K.A., R.J. Best, T.V. Wrigley (2003b) Body sway, aim point fluctuation and performance in rifle shooters: inter – and intra-individual analysis. J. Sports Sci., 21: 559-566.
5. Burden J., D. Faires (2005) Numerical analysis. Brooks Cole.
6. Caron O., P. Fontanari, J. Cremieux, F. Joulia (2004) Effects of ventilation on body sway during human standing. Neurosci. Lett., 366(1): 6-9.
7. Eng J., D. Winter (1993) Estimations of the horizontal displacement of the total body centre of mass: considerations during standing activities. Gait Posture, 1(3): 141-144.
8. Era P., N. Konttinen, P. Mehto, P. Saarela, H. Lyytinen (1996) Postural stability and skilled performance-a study on top-level and naive rifle shooters. J. Biomech., (29): 301-306.
9. Goodman S., A. Haufler, J.K. Shim, B. Hatfieldd (2009) Regular and Random Components in Aiming-Point Trajectory During Rifle Aiming and Shooting. J. Mot. Behav., (41): 367-384.
10. Gulbinskienė V., A. Skarbalius (2009) Peculiarities of investigated characteristics of lithuanian pistol and rifle shooters´ training and sport performance. Ugdymas Kuno Kultura, 21.
11. Herpin G., G.C. Gauchard, A. Lion, P. Collet, D. Keller, P.P. Perrin (2010) Sensorimotor specificities in balance control of expert fencers and pistol shooters. J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. (20): 162-169.
12. Konttinen N., D. Landers, H. Lyytinen (2000) Aiming routines and their electrocortical concomitants among competitive rifle shooters. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports, 10: 169-177.
13. Konttinen N., H. Lyytinen, J. Viitasalo (1998) Rifle balancing in precision shooting: behavioral aspects and psychophysiological implication. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports, 8: 78-83.
14. Krasilshchikov O., E. Zuraidee, R. Singh (2007) Effect of general and auxiliary conditioning on specific fitness of young pistol and rifle shooters. Asian J. Exerc. Sport Sci., 4: 1-6.
15. Mason B., L. Cowan, T. Gonczol (1990) Factors affecting accuracy in pistol shooting. Excel, 6: 2-6.
16. Mononen K., N. Konttinen, J. Viitasalo, P. Era (2007) Relationships between postural balance, rifle stability and shooting accuracy among novice rifle shooters. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports, 17: 180-185.
17. Mononen K., J. Viitasalo, P. Era, N. Konttinen (2003) Optoelectronic measures in the analysis of running target shooting. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports, 13: 200-207.
18. Niinimaa V., T. McAvoy (1983) Influence of exercise on body sway in the standing rifle shooting position. Can. J. Appl. Sport Sci., 8: 30.
19. Pellegrini B., F. Schena (2005) Characterization of arm-gun movement during air pistol aiming phase. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness, 45(4): 467-475.
20. Pinsault N., N. Vuillerme (2009) Test-retest reliability of centre of foot pressure measures to assess postural control during unperturbed stance. Med. Eng. Phys., 31: 276-286.
21. Reinkemeier H., G. Buhlmann, M. Eckhardt, C. Kulla, U. Linn (2006) Air rifle shooting: fitness – technique – 3-positions – supported – movement sequences – rifles – aiming paths – exercises – psyche – training – coaches. Dortmund, Verl. MEC 202.
22. RFEDETO (2009) General Technical Regulations for all shooting modalities – Reglamento Técnico General para todas las Modalidades de Tiro. Madrid: Real Federación Española de Tiro Olímpico.
23. Su F.C., W.L. Wu, W.D. Lee (2000) Stance Stability in Shooters. J. Med. Biol. Eng., 20(4): 187-192.
24. Viitasalo J., P. Era, N. Konttinen, H. Mononen, K. Mononen, K. Norvapalo, E. Rintakoski (1999) The posture steadiness of running target shooters of different skill levels. Kinesiol., 31: 18–28.
25. Viitasalo J., P. Era, H. Mononen, K. Mononen, K. Norvapalo, E. Rintakoski (1998) Effects of footwear on posture control of running target shooters. Coach Sport Sci. J., 3: 3-6.
26. Winter D.A. (2004) Biomechanics and motor control of human movement. John Wiley & Sons Inc.
27. Zakynthinaki M.S., J.M. Milla, A. Lopez, C.A. Cordente, G. Rodriguez, G.M. Sillero, J. Sampedro (2010) Rotated balance in humans due to repetitive rotational movement. Chaos, 20: 013118.
28. Zanevskyy I., Y. Korostylova, V. Mykhaylov (2010) Shot Moment in Optoelectronic Training in the Air-Pistol Shooting. Int. J. Sport Sci. Eng., 4(2): 67-78.
29. Zatsiorsky V., A. Aktov (1990) Biomechanics of highly precise movements: the aiming process in air rifle shooting. J. Biomech., 23: 35-41.
30. Zatsiorsky V., M. Duarte (2000) Rambling and trembling in quiet standing. Motor Control, 4(2): 185-200.
31. Zok M., C. Mazzà, A. Cappozzo (2008) Should the instructions issued to the subject in traditional static posturography be standardised? Med. Eng. Phys., 30(7): 913-916.