Study aim: The aim of this study was to determine the body composition and somatotype of untrained male students studying at Warsaw University of Technology in 2011, in order to create a current reference group for comparison, and to investigate the difference in body build of male judoists compared with the non-athlete group.
Materials and methods: Fifteen male judo athletes (age 18.6 ± 1.9 years, body height 177.4 ± 8.5 cm, body mass 80.3 ± 15.8 kg, training experience 10.0 ± 2.8) and 154 male untrained students of the Warsaw University of Technology (age 20.1 ± 0.9 years, body height 180.9 ± 7.2 cm, body mass 75.6 ± 10.9 kg) participated in the study. Somatotype was determined using the Heath- Carter method.
Results: The mean somatotype of the untrained students was 184.108.40.206, whilst that of the judo athletes was 220.127.116.11; the groups differed significantly in their mesomorphy and ectomorphy components. Significant differences between the groups were found in breadth of wrist, bicristal diameter and arm circumference (p < 0.05). The groups were also significantly different in body composition as estimated by BIA and anthropometric methods (p < 0.05).
Conclusion: The morphological characteristics of the judo athletes differed from those of the untrained men. The somatic profile of body build for athletes in this sport seems to be optimal for achieving high results, the somatotype not having changed since the 1990s.
1. Buśko K., Lipińska M., Michalski R., Pastuszak A. (2013) Somatotypevariables related to muscle torque and power output in female volleyball players. Acta Bioeng. Biomech., 15(2): 119-126.
2. Carter J.E.L., Ackland T.R., Kerr D.A., Stapff A.B. (2005) Somatotype and size of elite female basketball players. J. Sports Sci., 23(10): 1057-1063.
3. Carter J.E.L. (2002) Part 1: The Heath-Carter Anthropometric Somatotype-Instruction Manual. Available at: http://www.somatotype.org/Heath-CarterManual.pdf
4. Carvajal W., Betancourt H., León S., Deturnel Y., Martínez M., Echevarría I., Castillo M.E., Serviat N. (2012) Kinanthropometric profile of Cuban women Olympic volleyball champions. MEDICC review 14(2): 16-22.
5. Cohen J. (2013) Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Academic press.
6. Diafas V., Dimakopoulou E., Diamanti V., Zelioti D., Kaloupsis S. (2011) Anthropometric characteristics and somatotype of Greek male and female flatwater kayak athletes. Biomed. Hum. Kinet., 3: 111-114.
7. Ferragut C., Abraldes J.A., Vila H., Rodríguez N., Argudo F.M., Fernandes R.J. (2011) Anthropometry and throwing velocity in elite water polo by specific playing positions. J. Hum. Kinet., 27(1): 31-44.
8. Franchini E., Takito M.Y., Kiss M.A.P.D.M., Sterkowicz S. (2005) Physical fitness and anthropometrical differences between elite and nonelite judo players. Biol. Sport, 22(4): 315-328.
9. Francini E., Huertas J.R., Sterkowicz S., Carratala V., Gutiérrez-García C., Escobar-Molina R. (2011) Anthropometrical profile of elite Spanish judoka: comparative analysis among ages. Arch. Budo, 7(4): 239-245.
10. Gutnik B., Zuoza A., Zuozienė I., Alekrinskis A., Nash D., Scherbina S. (2015) Body physique and dominant somatotype in elite and lowprofile athletes with different specializations. Medicina, 51: 247-252.
11. Hazir T. (2010) Physical characteristics and somatotype of soccer players according to playing level and position. J. Hum. Kinet., 26: 83-95.
12. Heath H.B., Carter J.E.L. (1967) A modified somatotype method. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 27: 57-74.
13. Jagiello M., Jagiello W. (2009) Internal proportions of the body composition in members of the female national tennis team of Poland. Education. Physical Training. Sport. 2(73): 28-34.
14. Jagiełło W. (2013) Differentiation of the body build in judo competitors of the men’s Polish national team. Arch. Budo, 9(2): 117-125.
15. Jagiełło W., Kalina R., Jagiełło M. (2011) Differentiation of the body composition in the Polish national team pentathletes. Bal. J. Health Phys. Activ., 3(2): 105-111.
16. Jagiello W., Kalina R.M., Korobielnikow G. (2007) Morphological diversification of female judo athletes. Arch. Budo, 3(1): 27-34.
17. Jagiełło W., Kruszewski A. (2009) Morphological diversification of competitors training GrecoRoman style of wrestling. Arch. Budo, 5(1): 147-153.
18. JiWoong Noh, JuHyun Kim, Junghwan Kim (2014) Somatotype Analysis of Elite Judo Athletes Compared with Nonathletes for Health Science Research. Toxicol. Environ. Health Sci., 6(2): 99-105.
19. Kołodziej H., Lipowicz A., Szklarska A., Bielicki T. (2015) Secular trends in body height and body mass in 19-year-old Polish men based on six national surveys from 1965 to 2010. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 27(5): 704-709.
20. Krawczyk B., Skład M., Jackiewicz A. (1997) HeathCarter somatotypes of athletes representing various sports. Biol. Sport, 14(4): 305-310.
21. Lewandowska J., Buśko K., Pastuszak A., Boguszewska K. (2011) Somatotype variables related to muscle torque and power in judoists. J. Hum. Kinet., 30: 5-12.
22. Obuchowicz-Fidelus B., Marchocka M., Majle B., Dąbrowska A., Wojczuk J., Furdal S., Lukaszewska J. (1986) Antrhropometric, strenght and power characteristics of female kayak and judo athletes. Biol. Sport, 3(1): 5-17.
23. Pastuszak A., Buśko K., Kalka E. (2016) Somatotype and body composition of volleyball players and untrained female students - reference group for comparison in sport. Anthropol. Rev., 79(4): 461-470.
24. Piechaczek H. (1976) Estimation of total body fat by densitometric and anthropometric methods. Stud. Phys. Anthropol., 2: 33-45.
25. Piechaczek H., Lewandowska J., Orlicz B. (1996) Zmiany w budowie ciała młodzieży akademickiej Politechniki Warszawskiej w okresie 35 lat [in Polish]. Wych. Fiz. Sport, 40(3): 3-14.
26. Pieter W., Bercades L.T. (2009) Somatotypes of national elite combative sport athletes. Braz. J. Biomotricity, 3(1): 21-30.
27. Pietraszewska J., Burdukiewicz A., Strachoń A., Andrzejewska J., Pietraszewski B. (2015) Anthropometric characteristics and lower limb power of professional female volleyball players. South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education & Recreatio (SAJR SPER), 37(1): 99-112.
28. Pilewska W., Pilewski R., Zukow W. (2013) Characteristics of body composition highly qualified dancers and dancers Latin American style of dance sports in light of Perkal method. J. Health Sci., 3(8): 193-218.
29. Tanner J.M. (1964) The physique of the Olympic athletes. George Allen and Unwin Ltd., London.
30. Weiner J.S., Lourie J.A. (1969) Human Biology, a Gide to Field Methods. International Biological Programme. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford and Edinburgh.
31. Zia-Ul-Haq M., Low Fook Lee J., Bin Dasril B., Kuan Boon O., Saleem M. (2016) Morphological characteristics of malaysian national cricket batsmen. Int. J. Physiother., 3(1): 58-65.