Study aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of training while wearing socks differing in compression level (clinical, sub-clinical, regular) on performance of static and dynamic balancing and agility tasks in healthy, physically active people. We sought to understand whether socks with different compression properties supported postural regulation and agility task performance by enhancing somatosensory perception, unskewed by specific age range effects. Material and methods: Participants comprised 61 adults aged 18-75 years, divided into three groups (two experimental groups wearing clinical or sub-clinical level compression socks, and one control group wearing regular non-compression socks during training). An 8-week (2 × 1h per week) intervention programme was administered to train static and dynamic balance and postural control, leg strength and agility. Results: A mixed model ANOVA revealed no differences in static and dynamic balance and postural control and agility performance between clinical, sub-clinical, and control groups before and after training. All groups significantly improved their test performance, suggesting that training had some benefit on motor performance. Conclusions: These results raised interesting questions requiring further investigation to examine the effects of wearing socks (with and without different levels of compression) on motor behaviours in specific groups of elderly vs. young participants, in physically active vs. less physically active people, and in performance settings outside standardized laboratory tests to study applications in natural performance environments.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Akseki D., M. Erduran, K. Defne (2012) Sports Injuries and Proprioception: Current Trends and New Horizons in Sports Injuries. In: M.D. Doral (ed) Sports Injuries. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg, p. 67-71.
2. Baier M., T. Hopf (1998) Ankle orthoses effect on singlelimb standing balance in athletes with functional ankle instability. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehab., 79: 939-944.
3. Berg K.O., B.E.,Maki, J.I. Williams, P.J. Holliday, S.L. Wood-Dauphinee (1992). Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in an elderly population. Archiv. Physic. Med. Rehab., 73(11): 1073.
4. Bernhardt T., G.S. Anderson (2005) Influence of moderate prophylactic compression on sport performance. J. Strength Cond. Res., 19(2): 292-297.
5. Davids K., R. Shuttleworth, C. Button, I. Renshaw, P. Glazier (2003) “Essential noise” - enhancing variability of informational constraints benefits movement control: A comment on Waddington and Adams. Br. J. Sports Med., 38: 601-605.
6. Doan B.K., Y.-H. Kwon, R.U. Newton, J. Shim, E.M. Popper, R.A. Rogers, L.R. Bolt, M. Robertson, W.J. Kraemer (2003) Evaluation of a lower-body compression garment. J. Sports Sci., 21(8): 601-610.
7. Donath L., R. Roth, A. Rueegge, M. Groppa, L. Zahner, O. Faude (2013) Effects of slackline training on balance, jump performance and muscle activity in young children. Int. J. Sports Med., 34(12): 1093-1098.
8. EUROFIT (1988) European test of physical fitness. Rome: Council of Europe, Committee for the development of sport.
9. Fransson P.A., E.K. Kristinsdottir, A. Hafström, M. Magnusson, R. Johansson (2004) Balance control and adaptation during vibratory perturbations in middle-aged and elderly humans. Eur. J. App. Physiol., 91(5-6): 595-603.
10. Genthon N., E. Bouvat, J.J. Banihachemi, J. Bergeau, A. Abdellaoui, P.R. Rougier (2010) Lateral ankle sprain alters postural control in bipedal stance: Part 2 sensorial and mechanical effects induced by wearing an ankle orthosis. Scan. Journal Med. Sci. Sports, 20: 255-261.
11. Gruber M., S.B. Gruber, W. Taube, M. Schubert, S.C. Beck, A. Gollhofer (2007a) Differential effects of ballistic versus sensorimotor training on rate of force development and neural activation in humans. J. Strength Cond. Res., 21(1): 274-282.
12. Gruber M., W. Taube, A. Gollhofer, S. Beck, F. Amtage, M. Schubert (2007b) Training-specific adaptations of H- and stretch reflexes in human soleus muscle. J. Mot. Behav., 39(1): 68-78.
13. Han J., G. Waddington, J. Anson, R. Adams (2015) Level of competitive success achieved by elite athletes and multi-joint proprioceptive ability. J. Sci. Med. Sport, 18: 77-81.
14. Hasan H., K. Davids, J.Y. Chow, G. Kerr (2015) The Effects of Wearing Textured Insoles and Clinical Compression Socks on Kicking Performance in Association Football. Communication to World Congress in Science and Football, May 20-23, Copenhagen, Denmark.
15. Hasan H., K. Davids, J.Y. Chow, G. Kerr (Under review) Compression and Texture in Socks Enhance Football Kicking Performance.
16. Hijmans J.M., W. Zijlstra, J.H.B. Geertzen, A.L. Hof, K. Postema (2009) Foot and ankle compression improves joint position sense but not bipedal stance in older people. Gait Post., 29: 322-325.
17. Hrysomallis C. (2007) Relationship between balance ability, training and sports injury risk. Sports Med., 37(6): 547-556.
18. Kraemer W.J., J.A. Bush, R.U. Newton, N.D. Duncan, J.S. Volek, C.R. Denegar, P. Canavan, J. Johnstone, M. Putukian, W.J. Sebastianelli (1998) Influence of a compression garment on repetitive power output production
before and after different types of muscle fatigue. Sports Med. Train. Rehab., 8(2): 163-184.
19. Kuster M.S., K. Grob, M. Kuster, G.A. Wood, A. Graeme (1999) The benefits of wearing a compression sleeve after ACL reconstruction. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 31(3): 368-371.
20. Little R., D. Rubin (2002) Statistical analysis with missing data. New York, Wiley.
21. Michael J.S., S.N. Dogramaci, K.A. Steel, K.S. Graham (2014) What is the effect of compression garments on a balance task in female athletes? Gait Post., 39: 804-809.
22. Ozer D., G. Senbursa, G. Baltaci, M. Hayran (2009) The effect on neuromuscular stability, performance, multijoint coordination and proprioception of barefoot, taping or preventative bracing. The Foot, 19: 205-210.
23. Palm H.G., F. Brattinger, B. Stegmueller, G. Achatz, H.J. Riesner, B. Friemert (2012) Effects of knee bracing on postural control after cruciate ligament rupture. The Knee, 19: 664-667.
24. Papadopoulos E.S., C. Nikolopoulos, A. Badekas, G. Vagenas, S.A. Papadakis, S. Athanasopoulos (2007) The effect of different skin-ankle brace application pressures on quiet single-limb balance and electromyographic activation onset of lower limb muscles. BMC Musculoskel Disord., 8(89): 1-8.
25. Pau M., G. Ibba, G. Attene (2014). Fatigue-induced balance impairment in young soccer players. J. Athl. Train., 49(4): 454-461.
26. Pearce A.J., D.J. Kidgell, L.A. Grikepelis, J.S. Carlson (2009) Wearing a sports compression garment on the performance of visuomotor tracking following eccentric exercise: a pilot study. J. Sci. Med. Sport., 12: 500-502.
27. Piirainen J.M., J. Avela, N. Sippola, V. Linnamo V (2010) Age dependency of neuromuscular function and dynamic balance control. Eur. J. Sport. Sci., 10: 69-79.
28. Piirainen J., N.J. Cronin, J. Avela, V. Linnamo (2014) Effects of plyometric and pneumatic explosive strength training on neuromuscular function and dynamic balance control in 60-70 year old males. J. Electr. Kinesiol., 24: 246-252.
29. Piirainen J., V. Linnamo, N.J. Cronin, J. Avela (2013) Age-related neuromuscular function and dynamic balance control during slow and fast balance perturbations. J. Neurophysiol., 110: 2557-2562.
30. Roerdink M., P. Hlavackova, N. Vuillerme (2011) Centerof pressure regularity as a market for attentional investment in postural control: A comparison between sitting and standing postures. Hum. Mov. Sci., 30: 203-212.
31. Ruhe A., R. Fejer, B. Walker (2010) The test-retest reliability of centre of pressure measures in bipedal static task conditions - A systematic review of the literature. Gait Post., 32: 436-445.
32. Sperlich B., D.P. Born, M. Swarén, Y. Kilian, B. Geesmann, M. Kohl-Bareis, H.C. Holmberg (2013) Is leg compression beneficial for alpine skiers. BMC Sports Sci. Med. Rehab., 5(18): 1-12.
33. Steinberg N., D. Nemet, M. Pantanowitz, A. Zeev, M. Hallumi, M. Sindiani, Y. Meckel A. Eliakim (2016) Longitudinal study evaluating postural balance of young athletes. Percept. Mot. Skills, 122(I): 256-279.
34. Tegner Y., J. Lysholm, M. Lysholm, J.A. Gillquist (1986) A performance test to monitor rehabilitation and evaluate anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Am. J. Sports Med., 14(2): 156-159.
35. Woo M.T., J.Y. Chow, M. Koh (2014) Effect of Different Attentional Instructions on the Acquisition of a Serial Movement Task. J. Sports Sci. Med., 13: 782-792.
36. Woo M.T., K. Davids, J. Liukkonen, T. Jaakkola, J.Y. Chow (2014) Effects of textured compression socks on postural control in physically active elderly individuals. Proc. Engineering, 72: 162-167.
37. Yaggie J.A., B.M. Campbell (2006) Effects of balance training on selected skills. J. Strength Cond. Res., 20(2): 422-428.
38. You S.H., K.P. Granata, L.K. Bunker (2004) Effects of circumferential ankle pressure on ankle proprioception, stiffness, and postural stability: A preliminary investigation. J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther., 34: 449-460.