biological regeneration in athletes. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the application of lymphatic kinesiotaping in reducing delayed onset muscle soreness of biceps brachii.
Material and methods: The study included 34 women, aged 18–27. In the test group of patients (n = 17) a lymphatic KT application was used. All of the women performed the arm strength trial (with IPFT) and arm muscle training (with a repeat of the trial 5 times 60–80% max). Other study tools used were an sEMG, VAS (pain assessment) and the Borg scale (subjective assessment of the intensity of effort). The measurements (arm muscles strength, sEMG, pain intensity, exercise intensity) were repeated at 24, 48, 72 and 96 hours after performing the exercise.
Results: The weakest results for the arm strength test were recorded in the second measurement in the test group, and in the third measurement in the control group. The pain level declared in the first measurement was similar in both groups. In the third measurement (48 hours after the exercise), the level of pain in the test group was significantly lower (p < 0.05) than in the control group.
Discussion: The kinesiotaping method can assist in reducing delayed muscle soreness, which was confirmed by the results of the tests. However, there is no evidence about the impact of specific types of KT applications on the reduction of the DOMS symptoms.
1. Arabaci R. (2008) Acute effects of pre-event lower limb massage on explosive and high speed motor capacities and flexibility. J. Sports. Sci. Med., 7: 549-555.
2. Bae S.H., Y.S. Lee, G.D. Kim, K.Y. Kim (2014) A quantitative evaluation of delayed onset muscular soreness according to application of Kinesio Taping. Advanced Science and Technology Letters, 47: 387-390.
3. Best T.M., R. Hunter, A. Wilcox, F. Haq (2008) Effectiveness of sports massage for recovery of skeletal muscle from strenuous exercise. Clin. J. Sport Med., 18(5): 446-460.
4. Białoszewski D., W. Woźniak, S. Żarek (2009) Clinical efficacy of Kinesiology Taping in reducing edema of the lower limbs in patients treated with the Ilizarov Method. Preliminary report. Ortop. Traumatol. Rehabil., 11(1): 46-54.
5. Bicici S., N. Karatas, G. Baltaci (2012) Effect of Athletic Taping and Kinesio Taping® on measurements of functional performance in basketball players with chronic inversion ankle sprains. Int. J. Sports Phys. Ther., 7(2): 154-166.
6. Bielski J. (1996) Life is movement. Guidebook for PE teachers. Promo-Lider, Warszawa.
7. Boguszewski D., P. Poświata, B. Oko, S. Osipiuk, J.G. Adamczyk, D. Białoszewski (2013) Assessment of sports massage effectiveness in reduction of delayed onset muscle soreness of biceps brachii. Polish J. Sport Med., 29(4): 215-221.
8. Boguszewski D., S. Szkoda, J.G. Adamczyk, D. Białoszewski (2014) Sports massage therapy on the reduction of delayed onset muscle soreness of the quadriceps femoris. Hum. Mov., 15(4): 234-237.
9. Boguszewski D., I. Tomaszewska, J.G. Adamczyk, D. Białoszewski (2015) Evaluation of effectiveness of kinesiotaping in supporting of rehabilitation of patients after meniscus injury. Preliminary report. Asian J. Med. Sci., 6(4): 61-66.
10. Bompa T.O., G.G. Haff (2009) Periodization. Theory and Methodology of Training. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
11. Borg G. (1998) Borg’s Perceived Exertion and Pain Scales. Human Kinetics, Champaign.
12. Castro-Sanchez A., I. Lara-Palomo, G. Mataran-Penarrocha, M. Fernandez-Sanchez, N. Sanchez-Labraca, M. Arroyo-Morales (2012) Kinesio Taping reduces disability and pain slightly in non-specific low back pain: a randomized trial. J. Physiother., 58(2): 89-95.
13. Chang H.Y., K.Y. Chou, J.J. Lin, C.F. Lin, C.H. Wang (2010) Immediate effect of forearm Kinesio taping on maximal grip strength and force sense in healthy collegiate athletes. Phys. Ther. Sport, 11(4): 122-127.
14. European Guidelines for Surface Electromyography www.seniam.org (07.01.2014).
15. Grudzień M. (2009) Potential applications of the PNF method and kinesiotaping in the treatment of juvenile thoracic kyphosis, Acta Bio-Optica et Informatica Medica, 15(2): 106-107.
16. Halson S.L. (2008) Nutrition, sleep and recovery. Eur. J. Sport Sci., 8(2): 119-126.
17. Hilbert J.E., G.A. Sforzo, T. Swensen (2003) The effects of massage on delayed onset muscle soreness. Brit. J. Sport Med., 37: 72-75.
18. Howatson G. (2010) The impact of damaging exercise on electromechanical delay in biceps brachii. J. Electromyogr. Kines., 20: 477-481.
19. Imtiyaz S., Z. Veqar, M.Y. Shareep (2014) To compare the effect of vibration therapy and massage in prevention of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). J. Clin. Diagn. Res., 8(1): 133-136.
20. Kalron A., S. Bar-Sela (2013) A systematic review of the effectiveness of Kinesio Taping® – Fact or fashion? Eur. J. Phys. Rehab. Med., 49(5): 699-709.
21. Kase K. (2002) Ilustrated Kinesio Taping, Ken’I – Kai Information, Tokyo.
22. Kawczyński A., D. Mroczek, P. Chmura, P. Madeleine, J. Chmura (2013) Influence of a professional football game on delayed onset muscle soreness development in dominant and non-dominant legs. Polish J. Sport Med., 29(1): 55-61.
23. Lee H., J.S. Petrofsky, M. Laymon, J. Yim (2013) A Greater Reduction of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury in Women Compared to Men As a Result Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The Thoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, 231: 111-115.
24. Lumbroso D., E. Ziv, E. Vered, L. Kalichman (2014) The effect of kinesio tape application on hamstring and gastrocnemius muscles in healthy young adults. J. Bodyw. Mov. Ther., 18: 130-138.
25. Merino-Marba R., D. Mayorga-Vega, E. Fernandez-Rodriguez (2013) Effect of Kinesio Tape application on calf pain and ankle range of motion in duathletes. J. Hum. Kin., 37: 129-135.
26. Mikołajewska E. (2011) Kinesiotaping. PZWL, Warszawa.
27. Miladi I., A. Temfemo, S.H. Mandengué, S. Ahmaidi (2011) Effect of recovery mode on exercise time to exhaustion, cardio - respiratory responses. J. Strength Cond. Res., 25(1): 205-210.
28. Ostiak W., A. Peretiatkowicz, I. Krystkowiak (2012) The effectiveness of kinesiotaping in treatment of the soft tissue injuries in adolescent football players. Post. Nauk Med., 6: 501-507.
29. Sawczyn S., W. Jagiełło, V.I. Fetisov, V.S. Mishchenko (2015) Dependence of work capacity recovery after strenuous training sessions upon individual predisposition of skilled wrestlers to work under different energy modes. Arch. Budo, 11: 197-207
30. Wiecheć M., J. Szczegielniak, J. Łuniewski, K. Bogacz, M. Krajczy, D. Banik, M. Wilk, A. Lipińska, Z. Śliwiński (2009) Evaluation of the changes of some motor features in swimmers after using Kinesiology Taping. Polish J. Sport Med., 25(4): 237-246.
31. Willems M.E.T., T. Hale, C.S. Wilkinson (2009) Effects of manual massage on muscle- specific soreness and single leg jump performance after downhill treadmill walking. Medicina Sportiva, 13(2): 61-66.