Specific manufacturing technologies were applied for the fabrication of epoxy-based nanocomposites with silica nanoparticles. For dispersing the fillers in the epoxy resin special equipment such as a shear mixer and a high energy sonicator with temperature control were used. Both functionalized and unfunctionalized silica nanoparticles were added in three epoxy resins. The considered filling fraction was in most cases 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 wt%.. The obtained nanocomposites were subjected to monotonic uniaxial and creep loading at room temperature. The static mechanical properties were not significantly improved regardless the filler percentage and type of epoxy resin. Under creep loading, by increasing the stress level, the nanocomposite with 0.1 wt% silica creeps less than all other materials. Also the creep rate is reduced by adding silica nanofillers.
2. Zhang W. Picu R.C. Koratkar N. Suppression of fatigue crack growth in carbon nanotube composites Applied Physics Letters Vol. 91 193109 (2007).
3. Picu C.R. Constantinescu D.M. Sandu M. Apostol D.A. Cosmoiu I. Toughness enhancement in nanocomposite thermosets with application to carbon-epoxy system Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Fracture Beijing China June 16-21 Keynote lecture (2013).
4. Cosmoiu I. Apostol D.A. Picu C.R. Constantinescu D.M. Sandu M. Manufacturing and testing of nanocomposites with carbon nanotubes and nanoparticles U.P.B. Scientific Bulletin Vol. 77 pp. 107-119 (2015).
5. Cosmoiu I. Apostol D.A. Constantinescu D.M. Picu C.R. Sandu M. Advances on the manufacturing process of nanocomposites with MWNT and nanopowders Applied Mechanics of Materials Vol. 760 pp. 281-286 (2015).
6. Zhou Y. Pervin F. Lewis L. Jeelani S. Fabrication and characterization of carbon/epoxy composites mixed with multi-walled carbon nanotubes Materials Science and Engineering: A Vol. 475 pp. 157-165 (2008).
7. Gkikas G. Barkoula N.-M. Paipetis A.S. Effect of dispersion conditions on the thermo-mechanical and toughness properties of multi walled carbon nanotubes-reinforced epoxy Composites Part B Vol. 43 pp. 2697-2705 (2012).
8. Montazeri A. Chitsazzadeh M. Effect of sonication parameters on the mechanical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube/epoxy composites Materials & Design Vol. 56 pp. 500-508 (2014).
9. Cui L.J. Wang Y.B. Xiu W.J. Wang W.Y. Xu L.H. Xu X.B. Meng Y. Li L.Y. Gao J. Chen L.C. Geng H.Z. Effect of functionalization of multi-walled carbon nanotube on the curing behavior and mechanical property of multi-walled carbon nanotube/epoxy composites Materials & Design Vol. 49 pp.279-284 (2013).
10. Ayatollahi M.R. Shadlou S. Shkrieh M.M. Fracture toughness of epoxy/multi-walled carbon nanotubes nano-composites under bending and shear loading conditions Materials & Design Vol. 32 2115-2124 (2010).
11. Constantinescu D.M. Apostol D.A. Picu C.R. Krawczyk K. Sieberer M. Mechanical properties of epoxy nanocomposites reinforced with functionalized silica nanoparticles 2nd International Conference on Structural Integrity ICSI 2017 4-7 September 2017 Funchal Madeira Portugal Procedia Structural Integrity Vol. 5 pp. 647-652 (2017).