In this paper there is presented an experimental procedure used to determine the flexural rigidity for composite sandwich bars with polypropylene honeycomb core with various thickness values: 1, 1,5 and 2 cm. The composite bars will be reinforced with one layer of carbon fiber. The width value of the composite bars will be of 6 cm. In order to obtain the flexural rigidity the composite bars will be clamped at one end and left free at the other. An accelerometer will be placed at the free end used to record the free vibrations of these bars. The simplifying assumption of “bar” will be used in this research, so I have chosen several free lengths for the bars: 29, 32 and 35 cm. The eigenfrequency of the first eigenmode will be used to determine the flexural rigidity of the bars.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Oya A. Kasahara N. Horigome R. Structure of porous carbon-fiber from phenolic polymer containing polystyrene microbeads Journal of Materials Science Letters Vol. 20 pp. 409-411 (2001).
2. Lukyanov A. A. Effect of fiber orientation on the structure of shock waves in carbon fiber-epoxy composites Mechanics of Composite Materials Vol. 47 No. 6 pp. 617-626 (2012).
3. Stănescu N. M. Bolcu D. Pastramă S. D. Ciucă I. Manea I. Baciu F. Determination of damping factor to vibrations of composite bars reinforced with carbon and kevlar texture Materiale Plastice Vol. 47 No. 4 pp. 492-496 (2010).
4. Burada C. O. Miriţoiu C. M. Bolcu D. Stănescu M. M. Experimental determinations of the damping factor and stiffness for new sandwich platbands with different reinforcement and core Revista Română de Materiale/Romanian Journal of Materials Vol. 44 No. 4 pp. 405-413 (2014).
5. Voicu R. Structural characterization and mechanical behaviour of carbon fiber/epoxy composites for aeronautical field Materiale Plastice Vol. 49 No. 1 pp. 34-40 (2012).
6. Burada C. Determinări practice în laboratoarele de analiză şi încercări pentru construcţii Universitaria Craiova (2010).
7. Burada C. Încercări de laborator pentru materiale de construcţii Universitaria Craiova (2011).
8. Kamae T. Drzal L. T. Carbon fiber/epoxy composite property enhacement through incorporation of carbon nanotubes at the fiber-matrix interphase- Part I: The development of carbon nanotube coated carbon fibers and the evaluation of their adhesion Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing Vol. 43 No. 9 pp. 1569-1577 (2012).
9. Kumar B. G. Singh R. P. Nakamura T. Degradation of carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy composites by ultraviolet radiation and condensation Journal of Composite Materials Vol. 36 No. 24 pp. 2713-2721 (2002).
10. Baurova N. I. Surface structure of fractured carbon-fiber composites before and after climatic aging Fiber chemistry Vol. 46 No. 4 pp. 241-244 (2014).