In order to study the quality changes and shelf life of chitosan coated eggs during storage, the quality, gas chamber diameter, yolk coefficient and the quality change of Hough unit during storage were measured at temperature of 5, 20 and 35 ℃. The Pearson correlation between the quality indexes and the egg Hough’s unit value was analyzed, and the yolk coefficient was analyzed dynamically and the shelf life prediction model was based on the basis of the Arrhenius equation. The results showed that the quality of eggs, egg yolk coefficient, and Huff units all decreased with the extension of storage time, and the diameter of the air chambers of eggs showed an increasing trend with the extension of storage time. Moreover, the storage environment at high temperature (20 and 35 ℃) had a significant effect on the quality deterioration than the low temperature (5℃) storage environment; The correlation coefficient between egg yolk coefficient and Hough unit is the highest at all temperatures, which can be used as an important indicator for shelf life prediction; According to the changing rule of egg quality, the yolk coefficient can establish a first order kinetic model. According to the model established by the egg yolk coefficient, the coefficient R2 of the fitting curve of the predicted value and the measured value is 0.9825, and the average relative error P is 9.32% and less than 10%. The kinetic relationship between yolk coefficient and temperature is well described. At the same time, based on the dynamic model, the shelf life prediction model of chitosan-coated eggs based on yolk coefficient was determined by the dynamic model. The average relative error was 7.6%, less than 10%, which indicated that the egg shelf life prediction model based on the change of egg yolk coefficient was feasible.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Drewnowski A. (1995). Energy intake and sensory properties of food. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62(5 Suppl): 1081S－1085S.
2. Yang X L. Li W Y. Wei S N. Zhang J B. (2018). Effects of Different Storage Temperatures on Nutritional Composition of Eggs. Aquaculture and Feed (08): 20-21.
3. Fu G C. Luo Y W. Wen C. Wang L C. (2011). Effects of different betaine products on laying hens’performance and egg quality. Heilongjiang Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine (21): 71-72.
4. Xue Y R. Mao W. Zhao R S. Wang C. Liu B. (2017). Study on the Changes of Microorganisms and Egg Quality in the Storage of Eggs. Animal Husbandry and Feed Science 38(08):67-69+72.
5. Liang X T. Yang L J. Ye L. Luo W J. Zhao Y W. Wang Z. (2018). A Brief Talk on Egg Coating Preservation Technology. Jiangxi Journal of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine (05): 4-6.
6. Liu X D. Jang A. Kim D H. (2009). Effect of combination of chitosan coating and irradiation on physicochemical and functional properties of chicken egg during room-temperature storage. Radiation Physics & Chemistry 78(7): 589-591．
7. Tezotto-Uliana J V. Fargoni G P. Geerdink G M. & Kluge R A. (2014). Chitosan applications pre- or postharvest prolong raspberry shelf-life quality. Postharvest Biology and Technology 91 72-77.
8. Caner C Özge Cansiz. (2008). Chitosan coating minimises eggshell breakage and improves egg quality. Journal of the Science of Food & Agriculture 88(1): 56–61.
9. Scott T A. Silversides F G. (2000). The effect of storage and strain of hen on egg quality. Poultry Science 79(12): 1725-1729.
10. Wang J. (2018). The effect of chitosan/nano-silver coating on the egg preservation. Food and Machinery 34(01):110-116.
11. Hu Y F. Zhang L P. Wei J J. Wei Z Y. Chen J R. (2019). Dynamic Model of Quality Change of Eggs Coated with Chitosan. Science & Technology of Food Industry 40(01):87-91.
12. Lu Q. Liviu Giurgiulescu. (2014). Property Prediction of Dry Common Carp (Cyprinus Carpio) During Storage by Kinetic Model. Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis. Series E: Food Technology 18(02): 55-64.
13. Singh M. Saharren T. Singh M. (2017). Investigation of cellulosic packets impregnated with silver nanoparticles for enhancing shelf-life of vegetables. LWT- Food Science and Technology 86.
14. Ma L. Zhang M. Bhandari B. (2017). Recent developments in novel shelf life extension technologies of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables. Trends in Food Science & Technology 64:23-38.
15. Faucitano L. Ielo M C. Ster C. et al.(2010). Shelf life of pork from five different quality classes. Meat Science 84(3):466-469.
16. Deng F. Chen W. Wang J. (2018). Fabrication of a sensor Array Based on Quartz Crystal Microbalance and the Application in Egg Shelf Life Evaluation. Sensors & Actuators B Chemical 265.
17. Aday M S. Temizkan R. Büyükcan M B. (2013). An innovative technique for extending shelf life of strawberry: Ultrasound. LWT - Food Science and Technology 52(2):93-101.
18. Zhang Y H. et al. (2011). Study on the Law of Quality Change in Egg Logistics Process. Food Science and Technology 36 (8): 50-53.
19. Wang H. Sun Q. L L. Zhang S W. Duan Y Q. Lv J P. (2013).Establishment and Test of Prediction Model for UHT Milk Shelf Life. Scientia Agricultural Sinica. 46 (03): 586-594.
20. Yang M Z. Wang X L. (2015). Shelf-life prediction of instant flavor rice through kinetic models. Journal of Harbin University of Commerce 31(06):710-714.
21. Liu X D. Jang A. Kim D H. et al. (2009). Effect of combination of chitosan coating and irradiation on physicochemical and functional properties of chicken egg during room-temperature storage. Radiation Physics & Chemistry 78(7): 589-591．
22. S. Bhale H. K. No W. Prinyawiwatkul. et al. (2003). Chitosan Coating Improves Shelf Life of Egg. Food Science and Technology 68(7): 2378-2383．
23. Chen C X. (2010). Effect of chitosan coating on egg quality. Food Science and Technology 31 (24): 453-456.
24. Zhao L. Tu K. Pan L Q. (2004). Effects of different treatments on preservation of green shell eggs. Science & Technology of Food Industry 25 (11):69-71.
25. Yu B. Wang X B. (2012). Dynamic model of quality change during storage of eggs. Journal of Agricultural Engineering 28 (15): 276-279.
26. An J. Zhang M. Lu Q. et al. (2006).Effect of a prestorage treatment with 6-benzylaminopurine and modified atmosphere packaging storage on the respiration and quality of green asparagus spears. Journal of Food Engineering 77(4):951-957.
27. Ma Y. Xie J. Zhou R. et al. (2012). Dynamics of the quality changes of the puffer dark striped puffer at different freezing temperatures. Journal of China Agricultural University 17 (1):138-142.
28. Fu D D. Wang Q H. (2016). Hyperspectral detection model for egg freshness pH value and viscosity. Food Science and Technology 37 (22): 173-179.
29. Ketelaere B D. Vanhoutte H. Baerdemaeker J D. et al. (2003). Parameter estimation and multivariable model building for the non-destructive on-line determination of eggshell strength. Journal of Sound & Vibration 266(3): 699-709．
30. Boquet R. Chirife I H A. (1978). Equations for fitting water sorption isotherms of foods evalution of various two-parameter models. Journal Food Technology 13(3): 319-327．
31. Yu B. Wang X B. (2012). Kinetics of quality change for eggs Storage. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 28(15):276-280.
32. Jin Y H. Lee K T. Lee W I. et al. (2011).Effects of storage temperature and time on the quality of eggs from laying hens at peak production. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 24(2): 278-284.
33. Liu M Y. Lian H P. Ren F Z. (2011). Effect of Storage Temperature on Respiratory Intensity and Quality of Eggs. Food Science and Technology 32(6)：270-274.
34. King’ori A M. (2011). Review of the factors that influence egg fertility and hatchabilty in poultry. International Journal of Poultry Science 10(6): 483-492.
35. Ji X F. Yang H. Wang J M. Xiao Y P. Yang G L. Wang W. Li R. (2018). Effects of Storage Environment on Freshness of Eggs and Establishment of Prediction Model for Shelf Life of Fresh Eggs. Quality and Safety of Agricultural Products (02):59-65+74.
36. Caner C. (2005). The effect of edible eggshell coatings on egg quality and consumer perception. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 85(1): 1897-1902.