This research demonstrated the significance of variety and thermal holding time (THT) at constant temperature (95 °C) on quality characteristics of mango juice. Eighteen samples from Mado, Julie and Kent mango varieties were produced using full factorial design. Quality parameters, sensory and microbial properties were determined. Variety and THT were significant for most notable variables considered except for some sensory properties. Juice of Julie had the highest vitamin C at 60s, while Mado were superior in virtually all other chemical parameters; having 31.93 – 49.97 µg/100g pro-vitamin A, 51.10 – 113 mg/100g total phenol, 25.60 – 81.40 mg/100g total flavonoid, 1.26 – 1.48 mg/L tannin and 12.60 – 13.60% °Brix. Microbial qualities were influenced by THT; with 60s long enough to achieve stable products. PCA cluster analysis further emphasized variety as the most quality-determining factor in mango juice.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abbasi A. M. Guo X. Fu X. Zhou L. Chen Y. Zhu Y. Yan H. & Liu R. H. (2015) Comparative assessment of phenolic content and in vitro antioxidant capacity in the pulp and peel of mango cultivars. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 16(6) 13507–13527. DOI: 10.3390/ijms160613507.
2. Akharaiyi F. C. & Ugberase O. B. (2017). Preservative effects of Gmelina Arborea fruits and Nauclea latifolia stem bark extracts on fruit juice in comparison with a known chemical preservative. Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis Series E: Food Technology 21(2) 73 – 82. DOI: 10.1515/aucft-2017-0017.
3. Arah I. K. Amaglo H. Kumah E. K. & Ofori H. (2015). Preharvest and Postharvest Factors Affecting the Quality and Shelf Life of Harvested Tomatoes : A Mini Review. International Journal of Agronomy 2015 1 – 6. DOI: 10.1155/2015/478041.
4. Ariviani S. Anggrahini S. Naruki S. Raharjo S. (2015). Characterization and chemical stability evaluation of β-carotene microemulsions prepared by spontaneous emulsification method using VCO and palm oil as oil phase. International Food Research Journal 22(6) 2432–2439.
5. Batra N. G. Sharma A. & Agarwal N. (2018). Evaluation of microbiological criteria and quality of packed fruit juices. International Food Research Journal 25(2) 458–461.
6. Cruz-Cansino N. S. Ramırez-Moreno E. Leon-Rivera J. Delgado-Olivares L. Alanıs-Garcıa E. Ariza-Ortega J. A. Manrıquez-Torres J. J. & Jaramillo-Bustos D. P. (2015). Shelf life physicochemical microbiological and antioxidant properties of purple cactus pear (Opuntia ficus indica) juice after thermoultrasound treatment. Ultrasonic Sonochemistry. 27 277–86. DOI: 10.1016/j.ultsonch.2015.05.040.
7. Ellong E. N. Adenet S. Rochefort K. (2015). Physicochemical Nutritional Organoleptic Characteristics and Food Applications of Four Mango (Mangifera indica) Varieties. Food and Nutrition Sciences 6 (2) 242–253. DOI: 10.4236/fns.2015.62025.
8. Elsheshetawy H. E. Mossad A. Elhelew W. K. Farina V. (2016). Comparative study on the quality characteristics of some Egyptian mango cultivars used for food processing. Annals of Agricultural Sciences 61(1) 49–56. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifset.2016.07.009.
9. FAO & World Health Organization. (2004) Vitamin and mineral requirements in human nutrition. World Health Organization 08/01/2019. www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/9241546123/en/; DOI: 10.924 154612.3.
10. Fernández-vázquez R. Hewson L. Fisk I. Vila D. H. Mira F. J. H. & Vicario M. & Hort J.(2013). Colour influences sensory perception and liking of orange juice. Flavour 3(1) 1–8. DOI: 10.1186/2044-7248-3-1.
11. Guan Y. Zhou L. Bi J. Yi J. Liu X. Chen Q. Wu X. & Zhou M. (2016). Change of microbial and quality attributes of mango juice treated by high pressure homogenization combined with moderate inlet temperatures during storage. Innovative Food Science Emerging Technology 36 320–329. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifset.2016.07.009.
12. Harborne J. B. (1980). Phytochemical methods: A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis (Paper edition) London NY USA: Chapman and Hall.
13. Harrigan W.F. & MacCance M.E. (1976). Laboratory Methods in Food and Dairy Microbiology London Academic Press: London UK.
14. Igual M. García-Martínez E. Camacho M. M. & Martínez-Navarrete N. (2010). Effect of thermal treatment and storage on the stability of organic acids and the functional value of grapefruit juice. Food Chemistry 118(2) 291 – 299. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.118.
15. Jolayemi O. S. & Adeyeye O. A. (2018). Assessment of Nutrient and Storage Stabilizing Potential of Ginger and Garlic on Composite Fruit Smoothies. Asian Food Science Journal 4 1–15. DOI: 10.9734/AFSJ/2018/44109.
16. Jolayemi O. S. Nassarawa S. S. Lawal O. M. Sodipo M. A. & Oluwalana I. B. (2018). Monitoring the changes in chemical properties of red and white onions (Allium cepa) during storage. Journal of Stored Product & Postharvest Research 9 78–86. DOI: 10.5897/JSPPR2018.0263.
17. Jolayemi O. S. Tokatli F. & Ozen B. (2016). Effects of malaxation temperature and harvest time on the chemical characteristics of olive oils. Food Chemistry 2011 776–783. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.05.134.
18. Kadakal Ç. Duman T. & Ekinci R. (2017). Thermal degradation kinetics of ascorbic acid thiamine and riboflavin in rosehip (Rosa canina L) nectar. Food Science and Technologyin press 4 1–7. DOI: 10.1590/1678-457x.11417.
19. Kim J. G. Kim H. L. Kim S. J. & Park K.S. (2013). Fruit quality anthocyanin and total phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of 45 blueberry cultivars grown in Suwon Korea. Journal of Zhejiang University Science B 14(9) 793–799. DOI: 10.1631/jzus.B1300012.
20. Lozano J.E. (2006). Processing of fruits: Ambient and low temperature processing. Fruit Manufacturing Scientific Basis Engineering Properties and Deteriorative Reactions of Technological Importance (pp 21 - 54). New York NY USA: Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
21. Mahgoub S. A. M. & El-Shourbagy G. A. (2015). Microbiological and physicochemical criteria of fruit juices sold in Egypt: Incidence of spore-forming bacteria. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture 27(11) 864–871. DOI: 10.9755/ejfa.2015-04-140.
22. Makkar H.P. & Goodchild A.V. (1996). Quantification of tannins: A laboratory Manual International Center for Agricultural Research in dry areas. Syria: Alappo.
23. Morton D. (2001). Aerobic plate count. In F. P. Downes & K. Ito (Eds.) In Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods (pp. 63 – 67). Washington DC USA: American Public Health Association.
24. Munyaka A. W. Makule E. E. Oey I. Van Loey A. & Hendrickx M. (2010). Thermal Stability of l-ascorbic acid and ascorbic acid oxidase in broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica). Journal of Food Science 75(4) 336 – 340. DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01573.x.
25. Naresh K.Varakumar S. Variyar P. S. Sharma A. & Reddy O.V.S. (2015). Effect of γ-irradiation on physico-chemical and microbiological properties of mango (Mangifera indica L.) juice from eight Indian cultivars. Food Biosciences 12 1–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.fbio.2015.06.003
26. Oliveira A.doN. Ramos A. M. Minim V. P. R. & Chaves J. B. P. (2012). Sensory stability of whole mango juice: influence of temperature and storage time. Food Science and Technology 32(4) 819–825. DOI: 10.1590/S0101-20612012005000115.
27. Oliveira B. G. Costa H. B. Ventura J. A. Kondratyuk T. P. Barroso M. E. S. Correia R. M. Pimentel E. F. Pinto E. E. Endringer D. C. & Romão W. (2016). Chemical profile of mango (Mangifera indica L.) using electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry (ESI-MS). Food Chemistry 204 37–45. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.02.117.
28. Ordóñez-Santos L. E. Martínez-Girón J. & Arias-Jaramillo M. E. (2017). Effect of ultrasound treatment on visual colour vitamin C total phenols and carotenoids content in Cape gooseberry juice. Food Chemistry 233 96–100. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.04.114.
29. Quettier D.C. (2000). Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activities of buck wheat hulls and flour. Journal of Ethanopharmacology 72 35-42. DOI: 10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00196-3
30. Rawson A. Patras A. Tiwari B. K. Noci F. Koutchma T. & Brunton N. (2011). Effect of thermal and non-thermal processing technologies on the bioactive content of exotic fruits and their products: Review of recent advances. Food Research International 44(7) 1875–1887. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2011.02.053.
31. Ribeiro S. M. R. Barbosa L. C. A. Queiroz J. H. Knödler M. & Schieber A.(2008). Phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of Brazilian mango (Mangifera indica L.) varieties. Food Chemistry 110(3) 620–626. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.02.067.
32. Rouphael Y. Cardarelli M. Bassal A. Leonardi C. Giuffrida F. & Colla G. (2012). Vegetable quality as affected by genetic agronomic and environmental factors. Journal of Food Agriculture and Environment 10 680 – 688.
33. Sánchez-Moreno C. Plaza L. De Ancos B. & Cano M.P. (2006). Nutritional characterisation of commercial traditional pasteurised tomato juices: Carotenoids vitamin C and radical-scavenging capacity. Food Chemistry 98 749–756. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.07.015
34. Santhirasegaram V. Razali Z. George D. S. & Somasundram C. (2015). Comparison of UV-C treatment and thermal pasteurization on quality of Chokanan mango (Mangifera indica L.) juice. Food and Bioproducts Processing 94(5) 313–321. DOI: 10.1016/j.fbp.2014.03.011.
35. Shahid U. Hussain S. Nadeem M. Jabbar S. Qureshi T. M. & Nasir M.U. (2015) Quality assessment of the mango-mandarin (kinnow) squash during storage Science Letters 3(3) 115–121.
36. Singleton V. L. Lamuela-Raventos R. M. (1999). Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymology 299 152–178.
38. Van de Berg H. Faulks R. Granado H. F. Hirschberg J. Olmedilla B. Sandmann G. Southon S. & Stahl W. (2000). The potential for the improvement of carotenoid levels in foods and the likely systemic effects. Journal of Science of Food and Agriculture 80 880 - 912. DOI: 19.10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010.
39. Wang S. Lin T. Man G. Li H. Zhao L. Wu J. & Liao X. (2014). Effects of anti-browning combinations of ascorbic acid citric acid nitrogen and carbon dioxide on the quality of banana smoothies. Food Bioprocessing Technology 7(1) 161 - 173. DOI: 10.1007/s11947-013-1107-7.
40. Wibowo S. Grauwet T. Gedefa G. B. Hendrickx M. & Van Loey A. (2015). Quality changes of pasteurised mango juice during storage. Part II: Kinetic modelling of the shelf-life markers. Food Research International 78 410–423. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2015.09.001.
41. World Health Organization. (2003). Diet nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. WHO Technical Report Series Geneva 916 13/12/2018. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/42665/WHO_TRS_916.pdf?sequence=1.
42. Wroistad R. E. (1993). Colour and pigment Analyses in fruit products. Oregon Agricultural Experiment Satation Bulletin 624 10/08/2018. https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/administrative_report_or_publications/9s1616449.
43. Xiao H. W. Pan Z. Deng L. Z. El-Mashad H. M. Yang X. H. Mujumdar A. S. Gao Z. J. & Zhang Q. (2017). Recent developments and trends in thermal blanching – A comprehensive review. Information Processing in Agriculture 4(2) 101–127. DOI: 10.1016/j.inpa.2017.02.001