Light-beads fluidized bed bioreactors with gel particles are an attractive alternative for the implementation of a system with immobilized cells. They have a number of advantages: soft operating conditions, ability to work in an ideal mixing regime, intensification of heat- and mass transfer processes in the fermentation system. The expansion characteristics of the fluidized bed were investigated in the present work. The fluidized bed expansion was described using the voidage function. It was found that the voidage can be described by nonlinear regression relationships and the regression coefficients were a function of the particles parameters.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. AI-Dibouni M. R. & Garside J. (1979). Particle mixing and classification in liquid fluidised beds. Trans. Instn. Chem. Engrs. 57 94-103.
2. Buffiere C.F. & Moletta R. (1998). Liquid mixing and phase hold-ups in gas producing fluidized bed bioreactor. Chem. Eng. Science. 53 617-627.
3. Chhabra R.P. (1999). Wall effects on free-settling velocity in viscous media in cylindrical tubes. Powder technology. 85 83-90.
4. Di Felice R. (1984). On the voidage function in two-phase multiparticle systems. Int. J. Multiphase Flow. 20 153-159.
5. Di Felice R. (1995). Hydrodynamics of liquid fluidization. Chem. Eng. Snience. 50 1213-1245.
6. Garside J. & A1-Dibouni M.R. (1977). Velocity-voidage relationships for fluidization and sedimentation in solid-liquid systems. Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 16 206-213.
7. Glicksman L. (2003) Fluidized Bed Scaleup. In Wen-Ching Yang (Ed.) Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems pp. (348-383). Chemical Industries Series Marcel Dekker Inc. ISBN: 0-8247-0259-X
8. Godia F. & Sola C. (1995). Fluidized-bed bioreactors. Biotechnology Progress. 11 479-497.
9. Grbavcic Z.B Garic R.V. Hadzismajlovic D.Z.E. & Jovanvic S. (1991). Variational model for prediction of the fluid-particle interphase drag coefficient and particulate expansion of fluidized and sedimenting beds. Powder Technol. 68 199-211.
10. Khan A. R. & Richardson J.F. (1989). Fluid-particle interactions and flow characteristics of fluidized beds and settling suspensions of spherical particles. Chem. Engin. Commun. 78 111-130.
11. Kostov G. Mihaylov I. Blazheva D. Stoeva D. & Angelov M. (2012). Bioreactors with light-beads fluidized bed: modeling of the voidage function. Journal of EcoAgriTourism.8 2 (25) 188-193.
12. Richardson J. F. & Zaki W. N.(1954). Sedimentation and fluidisation. Part I. Trans. Inst. Chem. Eng. 32 35-53.
13. Rowe P. N.(1987). A convenient empirical equation for estimation of the Richardson-Zaki exponent. Chem. Engng. Sci. 43 2795-2796.