the aim of our study was to evaluate influence of probiotic agents (Lactovita) and seaweed extracts (Biopolym) with antidiarrheal effects on the prevention of diarrhoea in calves. In the experiment 22 experimental and 22 control calves were observed. The results of the observed incidence of diarrhoea in the control and experimental groups showed a positive effect of probiotic Lactovita and seaweed extracts Biopolymer. 32% of calves in the experimental group and 45% of calves in the control group became sick. Unfortunately, we could not demonstrate the statistical significance of these differences. The weight gains found in the 4th week after birth were by 37.6% higher in the group with Lactovita and Biopolym than in the control group.
1. Blum, J.W. (2006). Nutritional physiology of neonatal calves. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 90 (1-2) , 1-11.
2. Frizzo, L.S., Soto, L.P., Zbrun, M.V., Bertozz,i E., Sequeira, G., Armesto, R.R. & Rosmini, M.R. (2010). Lactic acid bacteria to improve growth performance in young calves fed milk replacer and spray-dried whey powder. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 157 (3-4), 159-167.
3. Frizzo, L.S., Zbrun, M.V., Soto, L.P. & Signorini, M.L. (2011). Effects of probiotics on growth performance in young calves: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 169 (3-4), 147-156, ISSN 0377-8401.
4. Gaggìa, F., Mattarelli, P. & Biavati, B. (2010). Probiotics and prebiotics in animal feeding for safe food production. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 141 (6), 15-28, ISSN 0168-1605.
5. Habrová, K. (2012) Doplňky stravy. From website: www.sdpharma.cz/doc/doplnky_stravy/pil/lactovita_sumive_tablety_pil.pdf. Staženo 19.3.2013.
6. Maldonado, N.C., Ruiz, C.S., Otero, M.C., Sesma, F. & Macías, M.E.N. (2012). Lactic acid bacteria isolated from young calves - Characterization and potential as probiotics. Research in Veterinary Science, Volume 92, Issue 2, 342-349, ISSN 0034-5288.
7. Morrell, E.L., Moore, D.P., Odeon, A.C., Poso, M.A., Odriozola, E., Canton, G., Paolicchi, F. & Campero, C.M. (2008). Retrospective study of bovine neonatal mortality: Cases reported from INTA Balcarce. Argentina Revista Argentina de Microbiologia, 40 (3) , 151-157.
8. Niggemman, B. (2006). Does unconventional medicine work through conventional modes of action. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology., (3), 569 - 573.
9. Oelschlaeger, T. (2010). Mechanism of probiotic actions : a review. Int Journal Med microbiol 300/2010, 57 - 62.
10. Pirman, T. & Lavrenčič, A. (2009). Pomen mleziva za rast in razvoj sesnih telet. From website: http://www.kgzsms.si/users_slike/metkab/ZED09/26Pirman.pdf. Staženo 19.10.2012.
11. Rastall, R. & Maitin V. (2002). Prebiotics and synbiotics : towards the next generation. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 5/2002, 490 - 496.
12. Sanei, M., Khorvash, M., Rahmani, H.R. & Sadri, H. (2012). Effects of hormone or mineral-vitamin enriched colostrum on performance and weaning age of Holstein calves. Livestock Science, 190-194, ISSN 1871-1413.
13. Timmerman, H.M., Mulder, L., Everts, H., Van Espen, D.C., Van Der Wal, E., Klaassen, G., Rouwers, S.M.G. & Beynen A.C. (2005). Health and growth of veal calves fed milk replacers with or without probiotics. Journal of Dairy Science, 88 (6) , 2154-2165.
14. Veir, J.K., Knorr, R., Cavadini, C., Sherrill, S.J., Benyacoub, J., Satyaraj, E. & Lappin, M.R. (2007). Effect of supplementation with Enterococcus faecium (SF68) on immune functions in cats. Veterinary Therapeutics, 8 (4) , 229-238.
15. Vrese, M. & Schvezenmeir, J. (2008). Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Symbiotics. Adv. Biochem. Eng. Biotechnol., 111/2008, 24108.