Introduction: Edentation is a major emergency and has an echo over the entire stomatognathic system. The treatment of partial edentation has undergone major changes in the last decades for multiple causes, including increasing the level of dental, medical education, introducing new techniques, methods, and materials, increasing the duration of retention of teeth on the arch.
Aim of the study: The aim of this study is to determine the degree of satisfaction of patients with a fixed prosthetic denture, to highlight the importance of communication between doctor and patient with repercussions on the results of prosthetic treatment, and evaluate the degree of awareness of oral health and oral hygiene practices.
Material and Method: For this study it was used a self-designed questionnaire, which explored both clinical and non-clinical dental services. The questionnaire consisted of three parts: first part (A) includes socio-demographic indices, part two (B) includes questions related to the doctor-patient relationship, and in the third part (C) the questionnaire asks questions regarding the general satisfaction of the patients with reference to the prosthetic tratament. The questionnaire also includes the material (s) from which the prosthetic denture is performed and the area of the edentation.
Results: The present study was performed on a batch of 117 people, 48 female, and 69 males between the ages of 21 and 60. Our results show that the majority of patients present metallic-ceramic dentures, located in most cases in the lateral area, and the majority of patients are satisfied with the prosthetic tratament. There were no patients complaining about the result of the tratament. Pacients are delighted by their relationship with medical staff.
Conclusions: The most important finding of this study states that a large proportion of patients showed a lack of knowledge regarding oral hygiene measures and the importance of maintaining a fixed prosthetic denture using a dental abutment. Also, the majority of the doctors did not pay attention to the post-treatment instructions regarding the maintenance of a fixed prosthetic denture.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Каламкаров ХА. Ортопедическое лечение с применением металлокерамических протезов, Москва, 1996, 175.
2. Forna N. Protetica Dentară, Vol I, Editura Enciclopedica, Bucuresti, 2011, 254-265.
3. Qamar K, Munir U, Naeem S. Role of cephalometery in evaluation of vertical dimension Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal, 2013;33(1):183-6.
4. Mahmoud K. AL-Omiri. Relationship between Oral Health-Related Quality of Life, Satisfaction, and Personality in Patients with Prosthetic Rehabilitations, Journal of Prosthodontics by The American College of Prosthodontists, 2008;18:2-3.
5. Grunberg O. Metode actuale de diagnostic în reabilitarea edentației, Doctoral Thessis, 2012, 5-8.
6. Anderson JD. The need for criteria on reporting treatment outcomes, J Prosthet Dent 1998, 49-55.
7. Simpson M, Buckman R, Stewart M, Maguire P, et al. Doctor–patient communication: the Toronto consensus statement, BMJ 1991, 303.
8. Lahti S, Verkasalo M, Hausen H, Tuutti H. Ideal role behaviours as seen by dentists and patients themselves and by their role partners: do they differ?, Commun Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996;24(4): 245–8.
9. Lings P, Evans P, Seamark D, et al. The doctor–patient relationship in US primary care, J R Soc Med 2003;96(4):180–4.
10. Gale EN, Carlsson SG, Eriksson A, Jontell M. Effects of dentists’ behaviour on patients’ attitudes, J Am Dent Assoc 1984;109(3):444–6.
11. Epstein A, Taylor W, Seage G. Effects of patients socio-economic status and physician’s training and practice on patient–doctor communication. Am J Med 1985;78(1):101-6.
12. Lahti S, Tuutti H, Hausen H, Kaarlanen R. Patients’ expectations of an ideal dentist and their views concerning the dentist they visited: do the views conform to the expectations and what determines how well they conform?”, Commun Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996;24(4):240–4.
13. Lahti S, Tuutti H, Hausen H, Kaariainen R. Comparison of ideal and actual behavior of patients and dentists during dental treatment, Commun Dent Oral Epidemiol 1995;23(6):374–8.
14. Inukai M, John MT, Igarashi Y, Baba K. Association between perceived chewing ability and oral health-related quality of life in partially dentate patients, Health Qual Life Outcomes 2010; 8:118.
15. Petricevic N, Celebic A, Rener-Sitar K. A 3-year longitudinal study of quality-of-life outcomes of elderly patients with implant- and tooth-supported fixed partial dentures in posterior dental regions, Gerodontology 2012;29:956–63.
16. Bratu D., Nussbaum R. Bazele clinice și tehnice ale protezării fixe, Editura Medicală, București, 2011, 27, 32, 36, 37-39.
17. Galip G. The Science and Art of Porcelain Laminate Veneers, British Library Cataloguing, 2003, 157-159.
18. Goldstein RE. Esthetics in Dentistry. 2nd ed. Hamilton, ON: BC Decker Inc, 1998, 17-49.
19. Pjeturssona BE, Sailer I, Makarov NA. All-ceramic or metal-ceramic tooth-supported fixed dental prostheses (FDPs)? A systematic review of the survival and complication rates. Part II: Multiple-unit FDPs, Dental Materials, 2015;31:624–39.
20. Eliasson A, Arnelund CF, Johansson A. A clinical evaluation of cobaltchromium metal-ceramic fixed partial dentures and crowns: A three- to seven-year retrospective study, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 2007;98:6-16.
21. Rinke S, Gersdorff N, Lange K. Prospective evaluation of zirconia posterior fixed partial dentures: 7-year clinical results, Int J Prosthodont 2013;26:164–71.
22. Sax C, Hammerle CH, Sailer I. 10-year clinical outcomes of fixed dental prostheses with zirconia frameworks. Int J Comput Dent 2011;14:183–202.
23. Jei JB, Mohan J. Comparative Evaluation of Marginal Accuracy of a Cast Fixed Partial Denture Compared to Soldered Fixed Partial Denture Made of Two Different Base Metal Alloys and Casting Techniques: An In vitro Study, Indian Prosthodontic Society, 2014;14(1):104-9.
24. Balshi TJ, Mingledorff EB. Maintenance procedures for patients after complete fixed prosthodontics, J Prosthet Dent 1977;37(4):420-31.
25. Matekovits Gh., Iovănaş D., Szekely M., Goguţă L., Vişan L. Igiena buco-dentarâ a protezaţilor. Studiu longitudinal asupra punţilor dentare. Medicina-Trecut Prezent Viitor, Timişoara.,1998;2(4):371-7.
26. Matekovits Gh., Kabai Z., Kurucz-Kovacs Sz. Evaluarea comportamenttilui clinic al aliajelor tip gaudent. Al V-lea simpozion internaţional al zilelor stomatologice bănăţene, 18-20 mai 2000.
27. Street R. Information giving in medical consultations: the influence of patients communicative styles and personal characteristics, Soc Sci Med 1991;32(5):541-8.
28. Street RL. Communicative styles and adaptations in physician–parent consultations, Soc Sci Med 1992;34(10):1155-63.
29. Waitzkin H. Information giving in medical care, J Health Soc Behav 1985;26(2):81–101.
30. Kaplan S, Greenfield S, Ware J. Assessing the effects of physician–patient interactions on the outcome of chronic disease, Med Care, 1989;27(3 Suppl):110-27.