Surgical integration in the overall ovarian cancer protocol is conditioned by the performance it has allowed in cytoreduction, the benefits obtained in the interest of the patients in terms of risk (postoperative mortality, severe sequelae, oncology survival criterion at 5 years).
Surgical treatment remains the fundamental technical means in the treatment of ovarian cancer. It is performed either in the “first intention” (the strand: High-Probability Clinical Diagnosis, Extemporaneous Histopathological Examination Surgery, Continued Intervention, Postoperative Adjuvant Treatments: Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Immunotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Second-look 6 Months), or in “second intent” (precise histopathological / pelviscopic or classic diagnosis, followed by chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy and radical surgery).
5. Nygel Acheson, Luesley D., Gynaecological Oncology, MRCOG 1988, ISBN 978-1-906985-21-9.
6. Hoskins W.J.,, Carlos A. Perez, C. A., Young R.C., Barakat R., Markman M., Randall M.,Gynecologic Oncology Lippincott Williams&Wilkins, 2005, ISBN 0-7817-4689-2.
7. Eisenkop SM, Friedman RL, Wang HJ. Complete cytoreductive surgery is feasible and maximizes survival in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a prospective study. Gynecologic oncology. 1998 May 1;69(2):103-8.
8. Horowitz NS, Miller A, Rungruang B, Richard SD, Rodriguez N, Bookman MA, Hamilton CA, Krivak TC, Maxwell GL. Does aggressive surgery improve outcomes? Interaction between preoperative disease burden and complex surgery in patients with advanced-stage ovarian cancer: an analysis of GOG 182. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2015 Mar 10;33(8):937.
9. Crawford SC, Vasey PA, Paul J, Hay A, Davis JA, Kaye SB. Does aggressive surgery only benefit patients with less advanced ovarian cancer? Results from an international comparison within the SCOTROC-1 Trial. Journal of clinical oncology. 2005 Dec 1;23(34):8802-11..
10. Suciu N. Bacalbasa N, Achimas Cadariu P, Blidaru A: Treatise of extrapelvic surgery in ovarian cancer. Ed Academiei Romane: 14-25, 2017