Typhoid fever is an important health problem worldwide but its incidence is more in developing countries. Hepatic involvement is common, but both hepatic and renal involvement is rare in typhoid fever. We report a case of typhoid fever presenting with hepatitis and acute renal failure. A 17 year old male presenting with fever and pain abdomen was found to have raised blood urea, creatinine, liver enzymes and bilirubin. Widal and typhidot (IgM,IgG) test were positive. His symptoms subsided and deranged parameters resolved with treatment of typhoid fever.
1. Pang, T., Bhutta, Z.A., Finlay, B.B. & Altwegg, M. (1995). Typhoid fever and other salmonellosis: a continuing challenge. Trends Microbiol. 3(7), 253-255.
2. Khan, M., Coovadia, Y. & Sturm, A.W. (1998). Typhoid fever complicated by acute renal failure and hepatitis: case reports and review. Am J Gastroenterol. 93(6), 1001-1003. doi: 10.1111/j.1572-0241.1998.298_y.x
3. Khosla, S.N., Singh, R., Singh, G.P. & Trehan, V.K. (1988). The spectrum of hepatic injury in enteric fever. Am J Gastroenterol. 83(4), 413-416.
4. Pramoolsinsap, C. & Viranuvatti, V. (1998). Salmonella hepatitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 13(7), 745-750.
5. Khosla, S.N. (1990). Typhoid hepatitis. Postgrad Med J. 66)781), 923-925.
6. Morgenstern, R. & Hayes, P.C. (1991). The liver in typhoid fever: always affected, not just a complication. Am J Gastroenterol. 86(9), 1235-1239.
7. Williams, D.C. & Adu, D. (1996). Infection associated nephropathy. In D.J. Weatherall, J.G.G. Ledingham & D.A. Warrel (Eds), Oxford text book of Medicine (pp 3173-3179). Oxford University Press.
8. Chowdhury, K.L., Saproo, R.K., Bhat, M.Y., Ogra, R.K., Thussu, A., Jalali, R.K., Abrol, A., Pandita, P. & Fotedar, A. (1988). Typhoid nephritis. J Assoc Physicians India. 36(7), 447-448.