Dupuytren’s contracture is a fibroproliferative disease whose etiology and pathophysiology are unclear and controversial. It is a connective tissue disorder, which takes part in the palmar’s fibromatosis category and has common characteristics with the healing process. Dupuytren’s disease is characterized by the flexion contracture of the hand due to palmar and digital aponevrosis. It generally affects the 4th digital radius, followed by the 5th one. Without surgery, it leads to functional impotence of those digital rays and/or hand. It is associated with other diseases and situational conditions like Peyronie’s disease, the Lederhose disease (plantar fibromatosis), Garrod’s digital knuckle-pads, diabetes, epilepsy, alcoholism, micro traumatisms, stenosing tenosynovitis and not the least with carpal tunnel syndrome. The carpal tunnel syndrome is a peripheral neuropathy with the incarceration of the median nerve at the ARC level, expressed clinically by sensory and motor disturbances in the distribution territory of the median nerve, which cause functional limitations of daily activities of the patient. After the failure of the nonsurgical treatment or the appearance of the motor deficit, is established the open or endoscopic surgical treatment with the release of the median nerve. Postoperative recovery in both diseases is crucial to the functionality of the affected upper limb and to the quality of the patient’s life. The patient, a 61 years old man, admitted to the clinic for the functional impotence of the right hand, for the permanent flexion contracture of the metacarpophalangeal joint (MCP) and proximal interphalangeal joint (PIP) of the 4th finger with extension deficit, for the damage of the thumb pulp clamp of the 4th finger, for nocturnal paresthesia of fingers I-III and pain that radiates into the fingertips. After clinical, paraclinical, imagistic and electrical investigations, surgery is practiced partial aponevrectomy, carpal ligament section, external neurolysis of the median nerve, flexor tendon tenolisys. The particularity of this case is the coexistence of two pathologies: Dupuytren’s disease and carpal tunnel syndrome, the decision to solve in the same operator time and the problem of immobilization. Reportation of this case supports previous reports in literature, such as Dupuytren’s disease and carpal tunnel syndrome are observed at the same patient, at the same time or one after another.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Leclercq C. (2000). Epidemiology. In Tubiana R. Leclercq C. Hurst L.C. Badalamente M.A. & Mackin E.J. (Eds.). Dupuytren’s disease (pp. 53-58). London: Martin Dunitz.
2. Cederlund R.I. Thomsen N. Thrainsdottir S. Eriksson K.F. Sundkvist G. & Dahlin L.B. (2009). Hand disorders hand function and activities of daily living in elderly men with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 23(1) 32–39.
3. Leclercq C. (2000) Treatment. In Tubiana R. Leclercq C. Hurst L.C. Badalamente M.A. & Mackin E.J. (Eds.). Dupuytren’s disease (pp. 204-222). London: Martin Dunitz.
4. Leclercq C. (2000) Results of surgical treatment. In Tubiana R. Leclercq C. Hurst L.C. Badalamente M.A. & Mackin E.J. (Eds.). Dupuytren’s disease (pp. 239–249). London: Martin Dunitz.
6. Wilburn J. McKenna S..P Perry-Hinsley D. & Bayat A. (2013). The impact of Dupuytren disease on patient activity and quality of life. J Hand Surg Am. 38(6)1209–1214.
7. Dolmans G.H. de Bock G.H. & Werker P.M. (2012). Dupuytren diathesis and genetic risk. J Hand Surg Am. 37(10) 2106–2111.
8. van Rijssen A.L. ter Linden H. Werker P.M. (2012) Five-year results of a randomized clinical trial on treatment in Dupuytren’s disease: percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus limited fasciectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 129(2) 469–477.
9. Mafi R. Hindocha S. Khan W. (2012). Recent Surgical and Medical Advances in the treatment of Dupuytren’s Disease - A Systematic Review of the Literature. Open Orthop J. 6 77–82.
10. Peimer C.A. Blazar P. Coleman S. Kaplan F.T. Smith T. Tursi J.P. Cohen B. Kaufman G.J. & Lindau T. (2013). Dupuytren Contracture Recurrence Following Treatment with Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum (CORDLESS Study): 3-Year Data. J Hand Surg Am. 38(1) 12–22.
11. Dahlin L.B. Bainbridge C. Szczypa P.P. Cappelleri J.C. Guerin D. & Gerber R.A. (2012). Current trends in the surgical management of Dupuytren’s disease in Europe: the surgeon’s perspective. Eur Orthop Traumatol. 3(1) 25–30.
12. Institute for Work & Health. (2006). The QuickDASH outcome Measure Information for Users. Retreived Octomber 2013 from http://www.dash.iwh.on.ca/system/files/quickdash_info_2010.pdf.
13. The Swedish translation of the QuickDASH form. Available at: http://www.dash.iwh.on.ca/system/files/translations/QuickDASH_Swedish.pdf. Accessed 01/10 2013.
14. WHO: Obesity and overweight [Fact sheet N°311]. (2012). Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/. Accessed 01/10 2013.
15. Gummesson C. Ward M.M. & Atroshi I. (2006). The shortened disabilities of the arm shoulder and hand questionnaire (Quick DASH): validity and reliability based on responses within the full-length DASH. BMC MusculoskeletDisord. 7(44).
16. Dahlin L.B. Bainbridge C. Leclercq C. Gerber R.A. Guerin D. Cappelleri J.C. Szczypa P.P. & Dias J. (2013). Dupuytren’s disease presentation referral pathways and resource utilisation in Europe: regional analysis of a surgeon survey and patient chart review. Int J Clin Pract. 67(3) 261–270.
17. Loos B. Puschkin V. Horch R.E. (2007) 50 years experience with Dupuytren’s contracture in the Erlangen University Hospital—a retrospective analysis of 2919 operated hands from 1956 to 2006. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 8(60) 1-9
18. Dahlin L.B. Bainbridge C. Szczypa P.P. Cappelleri J.C. Guérin D & Gerber R.A. (2012) Current trends in the surgical management of Dupuytren’s disease in Europe: the surgeon’s perspective. Eur Orthop Traumatol. doi: 10.1007/s12570-012-0091-0
19. Rayan G.M. (1999) Clinical presentation and types of Dupuytren’s disease. Hand Clin 7(15)87–96.
20. Barbosa R.I. da Silva Rodrigues E.K. Tamanini G. Marcolino A.M. Elui V.M. de Jesus Guirro R.R. Mazzer N. & de Cássia Registro Fonseca M. (2012). Effectiveness of low-level laser therapy for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: design of a randomized single-blinded controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.13(248). doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-13-248.
21. Cheung D.K. MacDermid J. Walton D. & Grewal R. (2014) The construct validity and responsiveness of sensory tests in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Open Orthop J. 8100-7. doi: 10.2174/1874325001408010100.
22. Jeong D.H. & Kim C.H. (2014). The quantitative relationship between physical examinations and the nerve conduction of the carpal tunnel syndrome in patients with and without a diabetic polyneuropathy. Ann Rehabil. 38(1) 57-63. doi:10.5535/arm.2014.38.1.57.
23. 23.Jain N.B. Higgins L.D. Losina E. Collins J. Blazar P.E. & Katz J.N. (2014). Epidemiology of musculoskeletal upper extremity ambulatory surgery in the United States. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 8(15). doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-15-4.
24. 24.Toge Y. Nishimura Y. Basford J.R. Nogawa T. Yamanaka M. Nakamura T. Yoshida M. Nagano A. & Tajima F. (2013). Comparison of the effects of flexion and extension of the thumb and fingers on the position and cross-sectional area of the median nerve. PLoS One. 8(12):e83565. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0083565.
25. Descatha A. Dale A.M. Franzblau A. & Evanoff B. (2013). Natural history and predictors of long-term pain and function among workers with hand symptoms. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 94(7) 1293-9. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2013.01.028.
26. Roll S.C. Evans K.D. Li X. Sommerich C.M. & Case-Smith J. (2013). Importance of tissue morphology relative to patient reports of symptoms and functional limitations resulting from median nerve pathology. Am J Occup Ther. 67(1) 64-72. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2013.005785.
27. Ejiri S. Kikuchi S. Maruya M. Sekiguchi Y. Kawakami R. & Konno S. (2012). Short-term results of endoscopic (Okutsu method) versus palmar incision open carpal tunnel release: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Fukushima J Med Sci. 58(1) 49-59.
28. de-la-Llave-Rincón A.I. Puentedura E.J. & Fernández-de-las-Peñas C. (2012). New advances in the mechanisms and etiology of carpal tunnel syndrome. Discov Med. 13(72) 343-8.
29. Jeong J.S. Yoon J.S. Kim S.J. Park B.K. Won S.J. Cho J.M. & Byun C.W. (2011). Usefulness of ultrasonography to predict response to injection therapy in carpal tunnel syndrome. Ann Rehabil Med. 35(3)388-94. doi: 10.5535/arm.2011.35.3.388.
30. Figures 1-11 personal archive Dr. Sebe Ioana Teona