Hepatocellular carcinoma is one of the most common cancers worldwide and a major cause of death in many countries. To evaluate the clinicopathological correlations of proliferative activity in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, Ki-67 antigen expression was examined using immunohistochemical staining with monoclonal antibody MIB1. Consecutive 40 patients who had undergone surgical resection for the treatment of HCC from January 2005 to December 2009 were enrolled in our study. The study group comprised 32 men and 8 women ranging from 27 to 76 (mean age, 54.6 SD±11.7) years of age. Expression of Ki-67 was negative in 22.5% of the 40 cases and Ki-67 positive expression “+”, “++”, “+++” was found in 11, 7 and 13 cases of hepatocellular carcinoma respectively. There are no statistically significant differences of the Ki-67 mean between age, sex distribution, dimension of the tumors, pattern of the tumor and Edmondson -Steiner grading.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. FERENCI P FRIED M LABRECQUE D BRUIX J SHERMAN M.: World Gastroenterology Organisation Guidelines and Publications Committee. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): a global perspective. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2010;19(3):311-317.
2. LIN GY CHEN ZL LU CM LI Y PING XJ HUANG R.: Immunohistochemical stud y on p53 H-rasp21 c-erbB-2 protein and PCNA expression in HCC tissues of Han and minority ethnic patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2000; 6(2): 234- 238.
3. SCHMITT-GRAFF A ERT ELT V ALLGAIER HP KOELBLE K.: Cellular retinol-binding protein-1 in hepatocellular carcinoma correlates with beta-catenin Ki-67 index and patient survival. Hepatology 2003; 38: 470-480
4. JUN CUI BAO-WEI DONG PING LIANG XIAO-LING YU DE-JIANG YU: Effect of c-myc Ki-67 MMP-2 and VEGF expression on prognosis of hepatocellular carcinomapatients undergoing tumor resection World J Gastroenterol 2004;10(10):1533-1536
5. D’ERRICO A GRIGIONI WF FIORENTINO M BACCARINI P GRAZI GL MANCINI AM: Overexpression of p53 protein and Ki67 proliferative index in hepatocellular carcinoma: an immuno-histochemical study on 109 Italian patients. Pathol Int 1994 44:682-687.
6. NAKANISHI K SAKAMOTO M YAMASAKI S TODO S HIROHASHI S: Akt phosphorylation is a risk factor for early disease recurrence and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer 2005 103:307-312.
7. FARINATI F CARDIN R DERRICO A et al: Hepatocyte proliferative activity in chronic liver damage as assessed by the monoclonal antibody MIB1 Ki-67 in archival material: the role of etiology disease activity and iron and lipid peroxidation. Hepatology 23: 1468-1475 1996.
8. SOYUER I. EKUNCU C. KAYA M. GEN Y.: Diagnostic Value of Ki-67LI in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Turk J Med Sci 33 (2003) 15-19.