The properties of the nonlinear phenomenon in water, including sea water, have been well known for many decades. The feature of the non homogeneous distribution of the speed of sound along the depth of the sea is very interesting from the physical and technical point of view. It is important especially in the observation of underwater area by means of acoustical method (Grelowska et al., 2013; 2014). The observation of the underwater space has been carried out for more than hundred years. In the second half of the twentieth century we observed very intense trend of development of the measuring methods of underwater sound speed. It was done mainly in the linear sound propagation aspect. At the end of 20th century nonlinear devices were invented. Thus, from this point of view, knowledge on the nonlinear properties of the sea water is the matter of interest. The phenomenon of nonlinear distortion of elastic waves, and the same the efficiency of nonlinear transfer of energy from the primary wave to the higher harmonic components depend on properties of the medium, especially on the material constant known as the nonlinearity parameter B/A. The Baltic Sea is a specific reservoir with untypically low salinity and low depth (Grelowska, 2000). In the paper results of investigation of nonlinear properties of the South and the Central Baltic by means of thermodynamic method are presented.
1. Beyer R.T. (1960), Parameter of nonlinearity in fluids, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 32, 2, 719-721.
2. Beyer R.T. (1997), The parameter B/A, [in:] Nonlinear Acoustics, M.F. Hamilton, D.T. Blackstock [Eds.], Academic Press, 25-40, San Diego.
3. Bjørnø L. (2013), Parametric Acoustic Arrays in Shallow Water Bounded by Marine Sediments, [in:] Hydroacoustics of shallow water, Kozaczka E., Grelowska G. [Eds.], pp. 91-103, published by IPPT, Warszawa.
4. Cain C.A., Nishiyama H., Katakura K. (1986), On ultrasonic methods for measurements of the nonlinear parameter B/A in fluid-like media, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 80, 2, 685-688.
5. Coppens A.B., Beyer R.T., Seiden M.B., Donohue J., Guepin F., Hodson R.H., Townsend C. (1965), Parameter of nonlinearity in fluids, II, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 38, 5, 797-804.
6. Cotaras F.D., Morfey C.L. (1991), Polynomial Expressions for the Coefficient of Nonlinearity β and β/(ρc5)1/2 for Fresh Water and Seawater, Technical Report under Grant N00014-89-J-1 109, Applied Research Laboratories The University of Texas at Austin.
7. Endo H. (1982), Determination of the nonlinearity parameters for liquids using thermodynamic constants, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 71, 2, 330-333.
8. Endo H. (1982), Empirical expression for nonlinearity parameter B/A of liquids, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 72, 1, 235-237.
9. Endo H. (1984), Calculation of nonlinearity parameter for seawater, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 76, 1, 274-279.
10. Endo H. (1988), Prediction of the nonlinearity parameter of a liquid from the Percus-Yevick equation, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 83, 6, 2043-2046.
11. Fofonoff N.P., Millard R.C. Jr. (1983), Algorithm for computation of fundamental properties of seawater, UNESCO Technical papers in Marine Science No. 44.
12. Fox F.E., Wallace W.A. (1954), Absorption of finite amplitude sound waves, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 26, 994-1006.
13. Grelowska G. (2000), The prevailing patterns of the sound speed distribution in the environment of the southern Baltic, Archives of Acoustics, 25, 359-368.
14. Grelowska G., Kozaczka E. (2010), Sounding of layered marine bottom modeling investigations, Acta Physica Polonica A, 118, 1, 66-70.
15. Grelowska G., Kozaczka E., Kozaczka S., Szymczak W. (2013), Gdansk Bay seabed sounding and materials classification, Polish Maritime Research, 20, 3, 45-50.
16. Grelowska G., Kozaczka E. (2014), Underwater Acoustic Imaging of the Sea, Archives of Acoustics, 39, 4, 439-452.
17. Hagelberg M.P. (1970), Ultrasonic-velocity measurements and B/A for 1-propanol at pressures to 10 000 kg/cm2, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 47, 1(2), 158-162.
18. Hagelberg M.P., Holton G., Kao S. (1967), Calculation of B/A for water from measurements of ultrasonic velocity versus temperature and pressure to 10 000 kg/cm2, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 41, 3, 564-567.
19. Kozaczka E., Grelowska G. (1994), Nonlinearity parameter B/A of the low-salinity seawater, Archives of Acoustics, 2, 259-269.
20. Kozaczka E., Grelowska G. (1996), Nonlinear properties of water [in Polish], Polish Naval Academy Press, Gdynia.
21. Kozaczka E., Grelowska G. (1999), Measurements of the nonlinearity parameter B/A of seawater, Archives of Acoustics, 24, 3, 289-302.
22. Kozaczka E., Grelowska G., Szymczak W., Kozaczka S. (2012), Processing data on sea bottom structure obtained by means of the parametric sounding, Polish Maritime Research, 19, 4, 3-10.
23. Kozaczka E., Grelowska G., Kozaczka S., Szymczak W. (2013), Detection of Objects Buried in the Sea Bottom with the Use of Parametric Echosounder, Archives on Acoustics, 38, 1, 99-104.
24. Rybak S.A., Serebryany A.N. (2011), Nonlinear internal waves over the inclined bottom: observations with the use of an acoustic profiler, Acoustical Physics, 57, 1, 77-82.
25. Sehgal C.M., Bahn R.C., Greenleaf J.F. (1984), Measurements of the acoustic nonlinearity parameter B/A in human tissues by a thermodynamic method, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 76, 4, 1023-1029.
26. Sehgal C.M., Porter B.R., Greenleaf J.F. (1986), Ultrasonic nonlinear parameters and sound speed of alcohol-water mixtures, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 79, 2, 566-570.
27. Sharma B.K. (1983), Nonlinearity acoustical parameter and its relation with Rao’s acoustical parameter of liquid state, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 73, 1, 106-109.
28. Shutilov V.A. (1980), An introduction to physics of ultrasound, Leningrad University Press, Leningrad.
29. Zhu Z., Ross M.S., Cobb W.N., Jensen K. (1983), Determination of the acoustic nonlinearuty parameter B/A from phase measurements, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 74, 5, 1518-1521.