Pelvic masses are commonly diagnosed following clinical examination. These may be located in the genital organs or may interest other pelvic and abdominal organs. The pathology of the pelvic masses varies with age. The postmenopausal period is most commonly associated with malignant pathology while reproductive age is associated with benign pathology. The purpose of this paper is to present the experience of the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Clinic of the Sibiu County Clinical Emergency Hospital in laparoscopic myomectomy. We evaluated the patients admitted to the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Clinic of the Emergency County Clinical Hospital in Sibiu who underwent a laparoscopic myomectomy between 1.01.2015 - 06.06.2019. During this time, 14 laparoscopic myomectomies were performed in our clinic. Patients ranged in age from 29 to 57 years.
6. Khan AT, Shehmar M, Gupta JK. Uterine fibroids: current perspectives. Int J Womens Health. 2014;6:95-114.
7. Zimmermann A, Bernuit D, Gerlinger C, Schaefers M, Geppert K. Prevalence, symptoms and management of uterine fibroids: an international internet-based survey of 21,746 women. BMC Womens Health. 2012;12:6.
8. Lippman SA, Warner M, Samuels S, Olive D, Vercellini P, Eskenazi B. Uterine fibroids and gynecologic pain symptoms in a population-based study. Fertil Steril. 2003;80:1488-94.
9. Sabry M, Al-Hendy A. Medical treatment of uterine leiomyoma. Reprod Sci. 2012;19(4):339-353. doi:10.1177/1933719111432867.
10. Eltoukhi HM, Modi MN, Weston M, Armstrong AY, Stewart EA. The health disparities of uterine fibroid tumors for African American women: a public health issue. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014;210(3):194-199. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2013.08.008.
11. Stewart EA, Nicholson WK, Bradley L, Borah BJ. The burden of uterine fibroids for African-American women: results of a national survey. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013;22(10):807-816. doi:10.1089/jwh.2013.4334.
12. Giri A, Edwards TL, Hartmann KE, et al. African genetic ancestry interacts with body mass index to modify risk for uterine fibroids. PLoS Genet. 2017;13(7):e1006871. Published 2017 Jul 17. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1006871.
13. Sengoba KS, Ghant MS, Okeigwe I, Mendoza G, Marsh EE. Racial/Ethnic Differences in Women’s Experiences with Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids: a Qualitative Assessment. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2017;4(2):178-183. doi:10.1007/s40615-016-0216-1.
14. Bray MJ, Wellons MF, Jones SH, Torstenson ES, Edwards TL, Velez Edwards DR. Transethnic and race-stratified genome-wide association study of fibroid characteristics in African American and European American women. Fertil Steril. 2018;110(4):737–745.e34. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.04.035.
15. Ishikawa H, Reierstad S, Demura M, et al. High aromatase expression in uterine leiomyoma tissues of African-American women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94(5):1752-1756. doi:10.1210/jc.2008-2327.
16. Weiss G, Noorhasan D, Schott LL, Powell L, Randolph JF, Jr, Johnston JM. Racial differences in women who have a hysterectomy for benign conditions. Womens Health Issues. 2009;19(3):202-210.
17. Amant F, Huys E, Geurts-Moespot A, et al. Ethnic variations in uterine leiomyoma biology are not caused by differences in myometrial estrogen receptor alpha levels. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2003;10(2):105-109.
18. Day Baird D, Dunson DB, Hill MC, Cousins D, Schectman JM. High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;188(1):100-107.
19. Jacoby VL, Fujimoto VY, Giudice LC, Kuppermann M, Washington AE. Racial and ethnic disparities in benign gynecologic conditions and associated surgeries. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Jun;202(6):514-21. Epub 2010 Apr 28.
20. Wu JM, Wechter ME, Geller EJ, Nguyen TV, Visco AG. Hysterectomy rates in the United States, 2003. Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Nov;110(5):1091-5.
21. Wechter ME, Stewart EA, Myers ER, Kho RM, Wu JM. Leiomyoma-related hospitalization and surgery: prevalence and predicted growth based on population trends. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Nov;205(5):492.e1-5. Epub 2011 Jul 20.
22. Baird DD, Hill MC, Schectman JM, Hollis BW. Vitamin D and the risk of uterine fibroids. Epidemiology. 2013 May;24(3):447-53.
23. Bhave Chittawar P, Franik S, Pouwer AW, Farquhar C. Minimally invasive surgical techniques versus open myomectomy for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;10:CD004638.
24. Donnez J, Donnez O, Dolmans MM. With the advent of selective progesterone receptor modulators, what is the place of myoma surgery in current practice. Fertil Steril 2014. a;102:640-648.
25. Segars JH, Parrott EC, Nagel JD, Guo XC, Gao X, Birnbaum LS, Pinn VW, Dixon D. Proceedings from the third National Institutes of Health International Congress on advances in uterine leiomyoma research: comprehensive review, conference summary and future recommendations. Hum Reprod Update 2014;20:309-333.
26. Dubuisson JB, Fauconnier A, Babaki-Fard K, Chapron C. Laparoscopic myomectomy: a current view. Hum Reprod Update. 2000;6:588-594.
27. Parker WH, Einarsson J, Istre O, Dubuisson JB. Risk factors for uterine rupture after laparoscopic myomectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2010;17:551-554.
28. Thomas RL, Winkler N, Carr BR, Doody KM, Doody KJ. Abdominal myomectomy—a safe procedure in an ambulatory setting. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:2277-2280.
29. Chao AS, Chang YL, Yang LY, et al. Laparoscopic uterine surgery as a risk factor for uterine rupture during pregnancy. PLoS One. 2018;13(5):e0197307. Published 2018 May 22. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0197307.
30. Kim HS, Oh SY, Choi SJ, et al. Uterine rupture in pregnancies following myomectomy: A multicenter case series. Obstet Gynecol Sci. 2016;59(6):454-462. doi:10.5468/ogs.2016.59.6.454.
31. Pakniat H, Soofizadeh N, Khezri MB. Spontaneous uterine rupture after abdominal myomectomy at the gestational age of 20 weeks in pregnancy: A case report. Int J Reprod Biomed (Yazd). 2016;14(7):483-486.
32. Vimercati A, Del Vecchio V, Chincoli A, Malvasi A, Cicinelli E. Uterine Rupture after Laparoscopic Myomectomy in Two Cases: Real Complication or Malpractice? Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2017;2017:1404815. doi:10.1155/2017/1404815.
33. Desai P, Patel P. Fibroids, infertility and laparoscopic myomectomy. J Gynecol Endosc Surg. 2011;2(1):36-42. doi:10.4103/0974-1216.85280.