Subdural hemorrhage is usually caused by a traumatic injury. Other risk factors that may lead to subdural hemorrhage include: hypertension, anticoagulants, elderly, alcohol abuse, vascular abnormalities etc. Mortality range is between 50% and 90% depending on age, admission Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) and anticoagulant treatment. We present a case of 74-year old patient, female, known for diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, chronic heart failure, receiving anticoagulant treatment, bronchial asthma who develops a posttraumatic massive chronic subdural hematoma accompanied by comorbidities.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Săceleanu V, Pereanu, M. Neurochirurgie clinică. Sibiu: Editura Universităţii „Lucian Blaga” din Sibiu; 2014.
2. Greenberg MS. Handbook of Neurosurgery. Ninth Edition; 2020.
3. Marcolini E, Hine J. Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. West J Emerg Med; 2019.
4. Săceleanu V. Cerebral Vascular Malformation – an incidental discovery after a traumatic brain injury. Acta Medica Transilvanica. 2017;22(3):31-33.
5. Khurram A, Kleinig T, Leyden J. Clinical associations and causes of convexity subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 2014;45:1151-1153.
6. Ciurea A. Tratat de Neurochirurgie. Bucureşti: Editura Medicală; 2011.
7. Săceleanu V. Teză de doctorat. Opţiuni terapeutice şi strategice de reinserţie socială în hemoragia intracerebrală primară supratentorială; 2012.
8. Hinojosa AQ, et al. Schmidek & Sweet Operative Neurosurgical Tehniques. Indications, Methods and Results. Sixth Edition; 2012.
9. Coutinho JM, Stam J. How to treat cerebral venous and sinus thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2010;8:877-883.
10. Shimizu Y, Park C, Tokuda K. Gradation density hematoma is a predictor of chronic subdural hematoma recurrence associated with inflammation of the outer membrane; 2020.
11. Liu LX, Cao XD, Ren YM, Zhou LX, Yang CH. Risk Factors for Recurrence of Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Single Center Experience; 2019.
12. Kulesza B, Litak J, Mazurek M, Nogalski A. Initial Factors Affecting 6-month Outcome of Patients Undergoing Surgery for Acute Post traumatic Subdural and Epidural Hematoma; 2020.
13. Heydari F, Golban M, Majidinejad S. Traumatic Brain Injury in Older Adults Presenting to the Emergency Department: Epidemiology, Outcomes and Risk Factors Predicting the Prognosis; 2019.
14. Iki Y, Morofuji Y, Kanamoto T, Horie N, Izumo T, Anda T, Matsuo T. Traumatic Middle Meningeal Arteriovenous Fistula of Non-fractured Site Detected by Four-dimensional Computed Tomography Angiography: A Case Report; 2020.
15. Christopher M Loftus. Neurosurgical Emergencies. Thieme. Third edition; 2020.