Nursing theories have been developed to provide guidance in clinical practice, so their knowledge by nurses is mandatory in order to provide advanced nursing care. This paper presents the relationships between the concepts and major assumptions of Henderson’s model and Orem’s theory and then their comparative analysis. Both, Henderson’s model and Orem’s theory of self-care deficit have a major impact, internationally, in education and research, but also in nursing practice, as a result of which their knowledge can open a new perspective on care, especially in countries where they are not well enough known.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Williamson S, Twelvetree T, Thompson J, Beaver K. An ethnographic study exploring the role of ward-based Advanced Nurse Practitioners in an acute medical setting. J Adv Nurs [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2020 Feb 2]; 68(7):[1579-88 pp.]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22381131.
2. Lowe G, Plummer V, O’Brien AP, Boyd L. Time to clarify – the value of advanced practice nursing roles in healthcare. J Adv Nurs [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2020 Feb 10]; 68(3):[677-85 pp.]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21790738.
3. McKenna H, Pajnkihar M, Murphy FA. Nursing models, theories and practice. 2nd ed. Atrium: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.; 2014.
4. Chinn P, Kramer MK. Integrated theory and knowledge development in nursing. 8th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier/Mosby; 2011.
5. McEwen M, Wills EM. Theoretical basis for nursing. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins; 2019.
6. Risjord M. Nursing knowledge: Science, practice, and Philosophy. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell; 2010.
7. Smith M, Parker ME. Nursing theories and nursing practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company; 2015.
8. Liaschenko J, Fisher A. Theorizing the knowledge that nurses use in the conduct of their work. Sch Inq Nurs Pract [Internet]. 1999 [cited 2020 Ian 16]; 13(1):[29-41 pp.]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10420795.
9. Fawcett J D-MS. Contemporary nursing knowledge: analysis and evaluation of nursing models and theories. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 2013.
10. Walker L, Avant KC. Strategy for theory construction in nursing. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River: NJ: Prentice Hall; 2011.
11. Alligood M. Nursing theorists and their work. 9th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier Inc.; 2018.
12. Orem D. Nursing: concepts of practice. 6th ed. St. Louis Mosby; 2001.
13. Taylor S, Renpenning K. Self-care science, nursing theory and evidence based practice. New York Springer Publishing Company; 2011.
14. Orem D. Nursing: concepts of practice. 5th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1995.
15. Zaccangini M, Pechacek JM. The doctor of nursing practice essentials 4th ed. Burlington Jones & Bartlett Learing; 2020.
16. Henderson V. The nature of nursing: reflections after 25 years. New York: National League for Nursing Press; 1991.
17. Henderson V. Basic principle of nursing care. In: Smith M, Parker ME, editor. Nursing theories and nursing practice. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company; 2015. p. 56.
18. Baghiu V. Teoria și practica nursing: procesul de îngrijire al pacientului. București: Cartea Medicală; 2019.
20. Scott P, Matthews A, Kirwan M. What is nursing in the 21st century and what does the 21st century health system require of nursing. In: McEwen M, Wills EM., editor. Theoretical basis for nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins; 2019. p. 146-7.
22. D’ijkstra A, Yont GH, Korhan EA, Muszalik M, Kedziora-Kornatowska K, Suzuki M. The care dependency scale for measuring basic human need: an international comparison. In: Alligood M, editor. Nursing theorists and their work. St. Louis: Elsevier Inc.; 2018. p. 14-6.