Introduction: The orthodontic treatment helps in reestablishing a functional occlusion, improving the aesthetics and functionality of the dento-facial complex. A correct alignment of the teeth, through the correction of some dental or skeletal anomalies, enhances the possibilities of dental hygiene, thus reducing the risk of periodontal affections. Nevertheless, the presence of orthodontic appliances in the oral cavity may reduce the efficacy of the means of oral hygiene by creating retentive areas for food, thus producing damages at the level of the marginal periodontium.
Objective: The evaluation of oral hygiene practices for patients in the course of fixed orthodontic therapy and the identification of changes appeared at the level of the marginal periodontium caused by the orthodontic appliances.
Material and methods: A questionnaire with 20 questions was distributed to a number of 129 patients undergoing the active phase of orthodontic treatment in the Orthodontic and Dentofacial Clinic of the Medical Dental School Tîrgu Mureș or in some private practices in the Bucharest metropolitan area.
Results: The majority of patients surveyed are aware of the means of dental hygiene and practice a daily brushing, associated with auxiliary means. The iatrogenic effects of the fixed therapy are represented by gingival recession, gingival overgrowth and bleeding during brushing but these were visible only in the case of a small number of patients.
Conclusions: The fixed orthodontic treatment must be started only after a thorough evaluation of the marginal periodontium, with a close orthodontist – periodontist collaboration and avoidance of jiggling-like movements.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Boke F Gazioglu C Akkaya S et al - Relationship between orthodontic treatment and gingival health: A retrospective study. Eur J Dent. 2014;8:373–380
2. Alfuriji S Alhazmi N Alhamlan N et al - The Effect of Orthodontic Therapy on Periodontal Health: A Review of the Literature. Int J D. 2014;2014:1-8
3. Berndardt O Krey KF Daboul A et al - New insights in the link between malocclusion and periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol. 2019;46:144-159
4. Gusmao ES Coutinho de Queiroz RD Coelho RS et al - Association between malpositioned teeth and periodontal disease. Dental Press J Orthod. 2011;16:87-94
5. Ren Y Marije A Li Mei et al - Orthodontic treatment with fixes appliances and biofilm formation-a potential publichealth threat? Clin Oral Invest. 2014;18:1711-1718
6. Lauren A Rennick Campbell PM et al - Effectiveness of a novel topical powder on the treatment of traumatic oral ulcers in orthodontic patients: A randomized controlled trial. Angle Orthod. 2016;86:351-357
7. Trimpeneers LM Wijgaerts IA Grognard NA et al - Effect of electric toothbrushes versus manual toothbrushes on removal of plaque and periodontal status during orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1997;111:492–497
8. Heintze SD Brinkmann PG Loundos J - Effectiveness of three different types of electric toothbrushes compared with a manual technique in orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1996;110:630–638
9. Borutta A Pala E Fischer T - Effectiveness of a powered tooth brush compared with a manual toothbrush for orthodontic patients with fixed appliances. J Clin Dent. 2002;13:131–137
10. Pandey V Chandra S Kumar HP et al - Impact of dental neglect score on oral health among patients receiving fixed orthodontic treatment: A cross-sectional study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2016;6:120–124
11. Mayuresh J Baheti Toshniwal NG - Survey on oral hygiene protocols among orthodontic correction-seeking individuals. J Educ Ethics Dent. 2015;5:8-13
12. Bardal PA Kaneshiro KP Bastos JR et al - Education and motivation in oral health - preventing disease and promoting health in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment. Dental Press J Orthod. 2011;16:95-102
13. Azaripour A Weusmann J Mahmoodi B et al - Braces versus Invisalign: gingival parameters and patients’ satisfaction during treatment: a cross-sectional study. BMC Oral Health. 2015;15:69
14. Pinto AS Alves LS Zenker JEDA et al - Gingival enlargement in orthodontic patients. Effect of treatment duration. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017;152:477-482
15. Kvam E Bondevik O Gjerdet NR - Traumatic ulcers and pain in adults during orthodontic treatment. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1989;17:154-157