Objective: The purpose of this study was to investigate the benefits of two different Selenium based supplements on patients with chronic autoimmune thyroiditis.
Methods: We conducted a prospective study on 50 patients with chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, who were divided into three different treatment groups, one group taking Selenium 100 μg, one Procor T (a combination of Selenium 100 μg and other elements like copper, Zinc and Q10 Conenzyme) and one control group taking Placebo pills. We measured on two follow up visits the antibody levels (anti-thyroidperoxidase- TPO Ab) and offered each patient a standardised questionnaire regarding the thyroid-related quality of life (THYPROro).
Results: At the 6 months follow up visit there was a statistically significant decrease in the antibody levels for each treatment group compared to the base levels. The THYPROro questionnaire scores showed an improvement in most aspects regarding the quality of life as well, but there was no significant difference between the placebo and the treated groups in the magnitude of this improvement.
Conclusions: Based on our results, we could not identify a certain benefit in improving quality of life with the supplementation of Selenium, as the improvements were at a similar level for the patients who took Placebo pills. Further studies with more patients, as well as taking the Selenium defficiency in consideration (by measuring the basal serum level of Selenium for each patient) would be required to find the target group of patients who could have most benefits of Selenium-based supplementation.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Van Zuuren EJ Albusta AY Fedorowicz Z et al- Selenium supplementation for Hashimoto thyroiditis Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; Jun 6: 55-60.
2. Yalcin MM Altinova AE Cavnar B et al- Is thyroid autoimmunity itself associated with psychological well-being in euthyroid Hashimoto thyroiditis? Endocr J. 2017; 64(4): 425-429.
3. McGregor B- The Role of Selenium in Thyroid Autoimmunity: A Review Journal of Restorative Medicine. 2015; 4: 83.
4. Schweizer U Fradejas-Villar N- Why 21? The significance of selenoproteins for human health revealed by inborn errors of metabolism FASEB J. 2018; 30(11): 3669-3681.
5. Schonburg L Schweizer U Kohrle J- Selenium and selenoproteins in mammals: extraordinary essential enigmatic Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004; 61(16):1988-55
6. Watt T Cramon P Hegedüs L et al- The thyroid-related quality of life measure ThyPRO has good responsiveness and ability to detect relevant treatment effects J Clin. Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99(10): 3708-14.
7. Zahan AE Watt T Pascanu I et al- The Romanian Version of the Thyroid-Related Patient-Reported Outcomes Thypro and Thypro-39. Translation and Assessment of Reliability and Crosscultural Validity Acta Endo (Buc). 2018; 14(2): 192-200.
8. Liontiris MI Mazokopakis EE- A concise review of Hashimoto thyroiditis (HT) and the importance of iodine selenium vitamin D and gluten on the autoimmunity and dietary management of HT patients. Points that need more investigation Hell J Nucl Med. 2017; 20(1): 51-56.
9. Vasiliu I Preda C Serban IL et al- Selenium status in autoimmune thyroiditis Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2015;119(4): 1037-44.
10. Yaofu F Shuhang X Huifeng Z et al- Selenium Supplementation for Autoimmune Thyroiditis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Int J Endocrinol. 2014; 2014: 231-234.
11. Gartner R Gasnier BCH- Selenium in the treatment of autoimmune thyroidits Biofactors. 2003; 19(3-4): 165-170.
12. Turker O Kumanlioglu K Karapolat I et al- Selenium treatment in autoimmune thyroidits: 9 month follow-up with variable doses J Endocrinolog. 2006; 190(1): 151-156.
13. Duntas LH- The role of Iodine and Selenium in Autoimmune Thyroiditis HormMetab Res. 2015; Sep;47(10):721-6
14. Bianchi GP Zaccheroni V Solaroli E et al- Health related quality of life in patients with thyroid disorders. A study based on Short-Form 36 and Nottingham Health Profile Questionnaires Qual Life Res. 2004; 13(1): 45-54.
15. Bektas Uysal H Ayhan M- Autoimmunity affects health-related quality of life in patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2016; 32(8): 427-33.
16. Rasmussen SL Rejnmark L Ebbehøj E et al- High Level of Agreement between Electronic and Paper Mode of Administration of a Thyroid-Specific Patient-Reported Outcome ThyPRO Eur Thyroid J. 2016; 5(1): 65-72.