Objective: the number of alkaloids like morphine and codeine found in poppy seeds used in food industry are monitored by a directive given by European Food Safety Authority. Based on this regulation the aim of the study was to determine the quantity of morphine and codeine from several brands of poppy seeds. Methods: an HPLC-UV method (205 nm) was developed to measure the quantity of morphine and codeine. Sample preparation was made using recipes posted on Drugs Forum by some users. Limits of detection were not determined because the lowest concentration from the reference (0.1 μg/ml) detected morphine concentrations that are far lower than a limit of toxicological concern. Results: The concentrations, which were found, ranged between Below the Level of Toxicological Concern (BLTC) - 243.26 mg/kg for morphine and BLTC - 88.58 mg/kg for codeine using several methods of preparation. Conclusions: one can observe that there are some brands of poppy seeds which do not respect the regulation about the amount of morphine and codeine. The high amount of morphine in some samples suggests that there are different varieties of poppy seeds, which can be used for an illicit purpose and can lead to addiction or even overdose in some cases.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Busse G - Morphine, Drugs The Straight Facts, Chelsea House, USA, 2006.
2. Roland CL, Lake J, Oderda GM - Prevalence of Prescription Opioid Misuse/Abuse as Determined by International Classification of Diseases Codes: A Systematic Review. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2016;1:1-11.
3. Yaks TL, Wallace MS - Opioids, Analgesia and Pain Management in Brunton L, Parker K, Blumenthal D, Buxton I (eds.) - Goodman and Gilman’s Manual of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGraw Hill, London, 2011, 481-526.
4. Ling W, Mooney L, Hillhouse M - Prescription opioid abuse, pain and addiction: Clinical issues and implications, Drug Alcohol Rev, 2011;30:300-305.
5. *** http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/696884-Extracting-morphinefrom-Poppy-Seed-Tea, accessed on 10.11.2015.
6. *** http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/621205-Poppy-seed-tea-islegitimate-How-to-make-it-work-for-you, accessed on 10.11.2015.
7. *** http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/732861-morphine-and-xanaxcombo, accessed on 12.11.2015.
8. *** http://www.poppyseedtea.com/, accessed on 12.11.2015.
9. *** EFSA - Scientific Opinion on the risks for public health related to the presence of opium alkaloids in poppy seed, The EFSA Journal, 2011, 11:2405.
10. *** Poppy seeds tea recipe, available at: https://drugs-forum.com/