Lymphonodular metastases remain an important predictive and prognostic factor in gastric cancer development. The precise determination of the lymphonodular invasion stage can be made only by extended intraoperative lymphadenectomy and histopathological examination. But the main controversy is the usefulness of extended lymph dissection in early gastric cancer. This increases the duration of the surgery and the complications rate, and it is unnecessary without lymphonodular invasion. The identification of the sentinel lymph nodes has been successfully applied for some time in the precise detection of lymph nodes status in breast cancer, malignant melanoma and the use for gastric cancer patients has been a controversial issue. The good prognosis in early gastric cancer had been a surgery challenge, which led to the establishment of minimally invasive individualized treatment and acceptance of sentinel lymph node mapping. The dual-tracer method, submucosally administered endoscopically is also recommended in sentinel lymph node biopsy by laparoscopic approach. There are new sophisticated technologies for detecting sentinel lymph node such as: infrared ray endoscopy, florescence imaging and near-infrared technology, carbon nanoparticles, which will open new perspectives in sentinel lymph nodes mapping.
1. Kadar Z, Jung I, Orlowska J, et al. Geographic particularities in incidence and etiopathogenesis of sporadic gastric cancer. Polish J Pathol. 2015;66:254-259.
2. Bara T Jr, Bara T, Bancu S, et al. Sentinel lymph node mapping in colorectal cancer. Chirurgia. 2011;106:195-199.
3. Radovanovic D, Mitrovic N, Stevanovic D, Pavlovic I. Clinical application of sentinel lymph node biopsy for staging, treatment and prognosis of colon and gastric cancer. Hepatogastroenterology. 2009;56:1606-1611.
4. Symeonidis D, Koukoulis G, Tepetes K. Sentinel node navigation surgery in gastric cancer: Current status. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2014;6:88–93. doi: 10.4240/wjgs.v6.i6.88.
5. Yashiro M, Matsuoka T. Sentinel node navigation surgery for gastric cancer: Overview and perspective. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2015;7:1-9. doi: 10.4240/wjgs.v7.i1.1.
6. Mitsumori N, Nimura H, Takahashi N, et al. Sentinel lymph node navigation surgery for early stage gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:5685-5693. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v20.i19.5685
7. Can MF, Yagci G, Cetiner S. Systematic review of studies investigating sentinel node navigation surgery and lymphatic mapping for gastric cancer. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2013;23:651-662. doi: 10.1089/lap.2012.0311.
8. Fujimura T, Fushida S, Tsukada T, et al. A new stage of sentinel node navigation surgery in early gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer. 2015;18:210-217. DOI: 10.1007/s10120-014-0446-z.
9. Miyashiro I, Hiratsuka M, Kishi K, et al. Intraoperative diagnosis using sentinel node biopsy with indocyanine green dye in gastric cancer surgery: an institutional trial by experienced surgeons. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:542-546. doi: 10.1245/s10434-012-2608-8.
10. Ortiz D, Alvikas J, Riker AI. A Case of Severe Anaphylactic Reaction Secondary to Isosulfan Blue Dye Injection. Ochsner J. 2015;15:183-186.
11. Sam SS, Valent TS. Anaphylactic shock after isosulfan blue administration during sentinel lymph node biopsy. J Case Rep Images Surg. 2016;2:36–38. doi:10.5348/Z12-2016-18-CR-10
12. Liang MI, Carson WE. Biphasic anaphylactic reaction to blue dye during sentinel lymph node biopsy. World J Surg Oncol. 2008;6:79 doi: 10.1186/1477-7819-6-79
13. Takeuchi H, Kitagawa Y. Sentinel node navigation surgery in patients with early gastric cancer. Dig Surg. 2013;30:104-111. doi: 10.1159/000350875.
14. Chen XF, Zhang B, Yang HX, et al. Clinical research of the sentinel lymph node in patients with early gastric cancer. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2013,44:151-154.
15. Can MF, Yagci G, Cetiner S. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for gastric cancer: Where do we stand? World J Gastrointest Surg. 2011;3:131-137. doi: 10.4240/wjgs.v3.i9.131.
16. Stojanovic D, Milenkovic SM, Mitrovic N, Marinkovic D, Stevanovic D, Radovanovic D. The feasibility of sentinel lymph node biopsy for gastric cancer: the experience from Serbia. J BUON. 2013;18:162-168.
17. Son T, Kwon I G, Hyung W J. Minimally Invasive Surgery for Gastric Cancer Treatment: Current Status and Future Perspectives. Gut Liver. 2014;8:229–236. doi: 10.5009/gnl.2014.8.3.229.
18. Liu N, Niu Z, Niu W, et al. Intraoperative sentinel lymph node mapping guides laparoscopic-assisted distal gastrectomy for distal gastric cancer. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8:5760-5766.
19. Kim YH, Lee YJ, Park J, et al. Early gastric cancer: feasibility of CT lymphography with ethiodized oil for sentinel node mapping. Radiology. 2013;267:414-421. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12121527.
20. Aikou T, Higashi H, Natsugoe S, Hokita S, Baba M, Tako S. Can sentinel node navigation surgery reduce the extent of lymph node dissection in gastric cancer? Ann Surg Oncol. 2001;8:90S-93S.
21. Hiratsuka M, Miyashiro I, Ishikawa O, et al. Application of sentinel node biopsy to gastric cancer surgery. Surgery. 2001;129:335-340.
22. Kitagawa Y, Takeuchi H, Takagi Y, et al. Sentinel node mapping for gastric cancer: a prospective multicenter trial in Japan. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:3704-3710. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.50.3789.
23. Miyashiro I, Hiratsuka M, Sasako M, et al. High false-negative proportion of intraoperative histological examination as a serious problem for clinical application of sentinel node biopsy for early gastric cancer: final results of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group multicenter trial JCOG0302. Gastric Cancer. 2014;17:316-323. DOI: 10.1007/s10120-013-0285-3.
24. Bara T Jr, Gurzu S, Jung I, Kadar Z, Sugimura H, Bara T. Single skip metastasis in sentinel lymph node: In an early gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2015;21:9803-9807. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v21.i33.9803.
25. Gotoda T, Yanagisawa A, Sasako M, et al. Incidence of lymph node metastasis from early gastric cancer: estimation with a large number of cases at two large centers. Gastric Cancer. 2000;3:219-225. DOI:10.1007/PL00011720
26. Yada T, Yokoi C, Uemura N. The current state of diagnosis and treatment for early gastric cancer. Diagn Ther Endosc. 2013;2013:241320. DOI: 10.1155/2013/241320.
27. Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2014 (ver. 4). Gastric Cancer. 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s10120-016-0622-4.
28. Zheng Z, Liu Y, Bu Z, et al. Prognostic role of lymph node metastasis in early gastric cancer. Chin J Cancer Res. 2014:192-199. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.1000-9604.2014.04.06.