Objective: Silver complexes of antibacterial quinolones have the potential advantage of combining the antibacterial activity of silver and fluoroquinolones. The objective of our study was the preparation and the preliminary physico-chemical characterization of a silver complex with ofloxacin.
Methods: To achieve our goals several spectroscopic methods (ultraviolet spectrophotometry, mass spectrometry, and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy) and thermal methods (differential scanning calorimetry and thermogravimetric analysis) were used in order to elucidate the chemical structure of the complex.
Results: Using mass spectrometry we established the stoichiometric ratio silver:ofloxacin as 1:2. Experimental data suggest a particular coordination for ofloxacin, as a monodentate ligand, in the formation of a complex with silver, through the nitrogen atom from the methyl-piperazine cycle.
Conclusions: The obtained complex has a chemical structure likely [Ag(Ofloxacin)2]NO3, requiring evaluation through other physico-chemical methods.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Uivaroşi V. Metal Complexes of Quinolone Antibiotics and Their Applications: An Update. Molecules. 201318:11153-11197.
2. Singh R Debnath A Masram DT Rathore D. Synthesis and Biological Activities of Selected Quinolone-Metal Complexes. Research Journal of Chemical Sciences 2013;3:83-94.
3. Psomas G Kessissoglou DP. Quinolones and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs interacting with copper(II) nickel(II) cobalt(II) and zinc(II): structural features biological evaluation and perspectives. Dalton Trans 2013;42:6252-6276.
4. Akinremi CA Obaleye JA Amolegbe SA Adediji JF Bamigboye MO. Biological activities of some Fluoroquinolones-metal complexes. International Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Research 2012;1:24-34.
5. Baenziger NC Fox Jnr CL Modak SL. The Structure of Silver Pefloxacin an Antibiotic Related to Nalidixic Acid. Acta Crystallogr C 1986;42:1505–1509.
6. Li YX Chen ZF Xiong RG Xue Z Ju HX You XZ. A mononuclear complex of norfloxacin with silver(I) and its properties. Inorg Chem Commun 2003;6:819-822.
7. Rai MK Deshmukh SD Ingle AP Gade AK. Silver nanoparticles: the powerful nanoweapon against multidrug-resistant bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 2012;112:841-852.
8. El-Gamel NE. Silver(I) complexes as precursors to produce silver nanowires: structure characterization antimicrobial activity and cell viability. Dalton Trans 2013;42:9884-9892.
9. Martínez-Abad A Sánchez G Lagaron JM Ocio MJ. Ligands affecting silver antimicrobial efficacy on Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella enterica. Food Chem. 2013;139:281-288.
10. Paiva IL de Carvalho GSG da Silva AD et al. Silver(I) complexes with symmetrical Schiff bases: Synthesis structural characterization DFT studies and antimycobacterial assays. Polyhedron. 2013;62:104-109.
11. Soayed AA Refaat HM El-Din DAN. Metal complexes of moxifloxacin–imidazole mixed ligands: Characterization and biological studies. Inorganica Chimica Acta. 2013;406:230–240.
12. Al-Omar MA. Ofloxacin in Brittain HG (ed): Profiles of Drug Substances Excipients and Related Methodology. Academic Press Burlington 2009;265-298.
13. Macias B Villa M Rubio I Castineiras A Borras J. Complexes of Ni (II) and Cu (II) with ofloxacin. Crystal structure of a new Cu (II) ofloxacin complex. J Inorg Biochem. 2001;84:163–170.
14. Macias B Villa MV Sastre M Castiñeiras A Borras J. Complexes of Co(II) and Zn(II) with ofloxacin. Crystal structure of [Co(oflo)2(MeOH)2]·4MeOH. J Pharm Sci. 2002;91:2416–2423.
15. Sagdinc S Bayari S. Spectroscopic studies on the interaction of ofloxacin with metals. J Mol Struct. 2004;691:107–113.
16. Drevenšek P Košmrlj J Giester G et al. X-ray crystallographic NMR and antimicrobial activity studies of magnesium complexes of fluoroquinolones – racemic ofloxacin and its S-form levofloxacin. J Inorg Biochem. 2006;100:1755–1763.
17. Vieira LMM de Almeida MV Lourenço MCS Bezerra FAFM Fontes APS. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of palladium and platinum complexes with fluoroquinolones. Eur J Med Chem. 2009;44:4107–4111.
18. Shaikh AR Giridhar R Megraud F Yadav MR. Metalloantibiotics: Synthesis characterization and antimicrobial evaluation of bismuth-fluoroquinolone complexes against Helicobacter Pylori. Acta Pharm. 2009;59:259–271.
19. Živec P Perdih F Turel I Giester G Psomas G. Different types of copper complexes with the quinolone antimicrobial drugs ofloxacin and norfloxacin: Structure DNA- and albumin-binding. J Inorg Biochem. 2012;117:35–47.
20. Patel MN Gandhi DS Parmar PA. DNA interaction and in-vitro antibacterial studies of fluoroquinolone based platinum(II) complexes. Inorg Chem Commun. 2012;15:248–251.
21. Palazzo F Giovagnoli S Schoubben A Blasi P Rossi C Ricci M. Development of a spray-drying method for the formulation of respirable microparticles containing ofloxacin-palladium complex. Int J Pharm. 2013;440:273-282.
22. Chen ZF Yu LC Zhong DC Liang H Zhu XH. An unprecedented 1D ladder-like silver(I) coordination polymer with ciprofloxacin Inorg Chem Commun. 2006;9:839-843.
23. Li MT Sun JV Sha JQ Wu HB Zhang EL Zheng TY. An unprecedented Ag–pipemidic acid complex with helical structure: Synthesis structure and interaction with CT-DNA J Mol Struct. 2013;1045:29-34.
24. Debnath A Mogha NK Masram DT. Metal Complex of the First-Generation Quinolone Antimicrobial Drug Nalidixic Acid: Structure and Its Biological Evaluation. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2015;175:2659-2667.
25. Dibbern HW Müller RM Wirbitzki E(eds): UV and IR Spectra Pharmaceutical Substances (UV and IR) and Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Excipients (IR). Editio Cantor Verlag Aulendor 2002;1102
26. Salem H Fada L Khater W. Spectrofluorimetric Determination of Certain Fluoroquinolones Through Charge Transfer Complex Formation. American Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2007;2: 18-25.
27. Gouvea LR Garcia LS Lachter DR et al. Atypical fluoroquinolone gold(III) chelates as potential anticancer agents: relevance of DNA and protein interactions for their mechanism of action. Eur J Med Chem. 2012;55:67-73.
28. Dorofeev VL. Infrared spectra and the structure of drugs of the fluoroquinolone group. Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal (Khimiko-Farmatsevticheskii Zhurnal) 2004;38:45–492004.
29. Sadeek AS. Synthesis thermogravimetric analysis infrared electronic and mass spectra of Mn(II) Co(II) and Fe(III) norfloxacin complexes. J Mol Struct. 2005;753:1-12.
30. Sousa I Claro V Pereira JL et al. Synthesis characterization and antibacterial studies of a copper(II) levofloxacin ternary complex. J Inorg Biochem. 2012;110:64-71.
31. Coates G. Interpretation of Infrared Spectra A Practical Approach in Meyers RA (ed): Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry. John Wiley & Sons Ltd Chichester 2000;10815–10837.
32. Refat MS. Synthesis and characterization of norfloxacin-transition metal complexes (group 11 IB): Spectroscopic thermal kinetic measurements and biological activity. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2007;68:1393-1405.
33. O’Neil MJ (ed): The Merck Index - An Encyclopedia of Chemicals Drugs and Biologicals. 13th Edition. Whitehouse Station NJ Merck and Co Inc 2001;1526.
34. House JE - Inorganic chemistry. 2nd Edition Academic Press Elsevier Inc. All 2013;570.