The Mason type III and IV radial head fractures are severe injuries that lead to decreased range of motion, alteration in the kinematics, the load transfer and the stability of the elbow. They are often in conjunction with ligament injuries, anterior or posterior joint dislocations and fractures of the coronoid process, the humeral capitulum and the olecranon. The resection of the head leads to elbow instability, late complications and arthrosis of the elbow. The open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) in Mason type III and IV fractures is not able to restore and sustain the anatomical structure and function of the radiocapitellar joint. That is why these fractures require arthroplasty. The best results are reported with the use of metal bipolar prosthetics. We present our initial experience with radial head arthroplasty on three patients with mean follow up 18 months and a review of the English literature.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Beingessner DM, Dunning CE, Gordon KD, et al. The effect of radial head excision and arthroplasty on elbow kinematics and stability. - J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86(8):1730-9.
2. Brinkman JM, Rahusen FT, de Vos MJ, Eygendaal D. Treatment of sequelae of radial head fractures with a bipolar radial head prosthesis. - Acta Orthopaedica 2005 76, № 6,867-872
3. Coleman DA, Blair WF, Shurr D. Resection of the radial head for fracture of the radial head. Longterm follow-up of seventeen cases. - J Bone Joint Surg Am 1987;69(3):385-92.
4. Dotzis A, Cochu G, Mabit C, et al. Comminuted fractures of the radial head treated by the Judet fl oating radial head prosthesis. - J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006;88(6):760-4.
5. Grewal R, MacDermid JC, Faber KJ, et al. Comminuted radial head fractures treated with a modular metallic radial head arthroplasty. Study of outcomes. - J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006;88(10):2192-200.
6. Harrington IJ, Sekyi-Otu A, Barrington TW, Evans DC, Tuli V. The functional outcome with metallic radial head implants in the treatment of unstable elbow fractures: A long-term review. - J Trauma 50(1): 46-52, 2001.
7. Hotchkiss RN. Displaced fractures of the radial head: internal fi xation or excision? - J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1997;5:1-10.
8. Ikeda M, Oka Y. Function after early radial head resection for fracture: a retrospective evaluation of 15 patients followed for 3-18 years. - Acta Orthop Scand 2000;71(2):191-4.
9. Jackson JD, Steinmann SP. Radial head fractures. Hand Clin.2007 May;23(2):185-93
10. Janssen RP, Vegter J. Resection of the radial head after Mason type-III fractures of the elbow: follow- up at 16 to 30 years. - J Bone Joint Surg Br 1998;80(2):231-3.
11. Jensen SL, Olsen BS, Sojbjerg JO. Elbow joint kinematics after excision of the radial head. - J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1999;8(3):238-41.
12. Johnston G W. A follow-up of one hundred cases of fracture of the head of the radius with a review of the literature. - Ulster Med J 1962; 31: 51-6.
13. Judet T, Garreaud L, Piriou P, Charnley G. A fl oating prosthesis for radial-head fractures. - J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 1996; 78: 244-9.
14. King G, Zarzour Z, Patterson S, et al. An anthropometric study of the radial head: implications in the design of a prosthesis. - J Arthroplasty 2001;16(1):112-6.
15. Liew VS, Cooper IC, Ferreira LM, Johnston JA, King GJW. The effect of metallic radial head arthroplasty on radiocapitellar joint contact area. - Clinical Biomechaniscs 2003 18(2):115-118
16. Mason M L. Some observations on fractures of the head ofthe radius with a review of one hundred cases. - Br J Surg 1954; 42: 123-32.
17. Moro JK, Werier J, MacDermid JC, et al. Arthroplasty with a metal radial head for unreconstructible fractures of the radial head. - J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001;83(8):1201-11.
18. Pomianowski S, Morrey BF, Neale PG, et al. Contribution of monoblock and bipolar radial head prostheses to valgus stability of the elbow. - J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2001; 83 (12): 1829-1834
19. Ring D. Displaced, unstable fractures of the radial head: fi xation vs. Replacement - what is the evidence? - Injury 2008;39:1329-1337.
20. Smets S, Govaers K, Jansen N, et al. The fl oating radialhead prosthesis for comminuted radial headfractures: a multicentric study. - Acta Orthop Belg 2000;66(4):353-8.
21. Van Riet RP, Van Glabbeek F, Verborgt O, Gielen J. Capitellar erosion caused by a metal radial head prosthesis. A case report. - J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86-A(5):1061-4.
22. Van Riet RP, van Glabbeek F, de Weerdt W, Oemar J, Bortier H. Validation of the lesser sigmoid notch of the ulna as a reference point for accurate placement of a prosthesis for the head of the radius. - J Bone Joint Surg Br March 2007 89-B № 3 413-416
23. Георгиев Хр. Основи на ортопедията. Медникаров. София 2012 Камея.