Overhangs from different restorations are an iatrogenic error with different results, short and long term consequences related to bone changes and periodontal diseases. Amalgam “tattoos”, idiopathic subgingival hypertrophy, marginal periodontitis and bone reductions in the intradental septum are major problems. The aim of the present study is to evaluate the frequency of traumatic restorations in distal teeth and clinical criteria, related to the x-ray findings. Evaluating criteria, for repairing the overhangs or for replacement of the restorations, is also a goal. Three hundred and sixteen - 316 patients from both sexes, 632 dental x-rays with 948 distal teeth and 632 restorations, at least two radiographs for each patient, were analyzed. Overhangs are classified in three groups: small, middle and large. In the criteria bone changes from the overhangs are analyzed separately from the existing or nonexisting bone changes from a generalized periodontal diseases. The frequency of iatrogenic changes in this cohort group is 10.6% from 632 restored teeth. This is a relatively small number compared with the other published studies. These overhangs are on distal teeth in sound teeth arches which makes them difficult for corrections. The evaluated criteria for replacement based on x-ray findings and clinical experience includes: operative and nonoperative corrections, restoration replacement, perio- and endo-therapy and follow up terms for secondary caries.
6. Gordan V.V. Railey G.L. Blaser P.K. Mjor I.A. Two year clinical evaluation of alternative treatments to replacement of defective amalgam restorations. - Oper. Dent. 2006 31 4 418-425.
7. Hakkarainen K. Ainamo J. Infl uence of overhanging posterior root restorations on alveolar bone height in adults. - J. Clin. Periodontol. 1980 7 2 114-120.
8. Kells B.E. Linden G.J. Overhanging amalgam restorations in young adults attending a periodontal department. - J of Dentistry 1992 20 2 85-88.
9. Opdam N.J. Roeters F.J. Feileer A.J. Smale I. A radiographic and scanning electron microscopic study of a proximal margins of a Class II resin composite restoration placed in vivo. - J Dent. 1998 26 4319-327.
10. Skogedal O. Heloe L.A. Clinical quality of amalgam restorations. - Scand J Dent Res 1979 87 6 459-461.
11. Wilson N.H. Burke F.J. Mjor I.A. Reasons for placement and replacement of restorations of direct restorative materials by a selected group of practitioners in the UK. - Quintessence Int. 1997 28 4 245-248.