There are two considerations for direct pulp capping - accidental mechanical pulp exposure and exposure caused by caries. Mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) was used as pulp-capping material to preserve the vitality of the pulpal tissues. Follow-up examinations revealed that treatment was successful in preserving pulpal vitality and continued development of the tooth. On the basis of available information, it appears that MTA is the material of choice for some clinical applications. Material and methods: Cases 18 - 8 teeth with grey MTA, 10 teeth with white MTA; diagnose: Pulpitis chronica ulcerosa, Electro pulpal test (EOD) - 30-35 μA, pre-clinical X-ray - without changes in the structures, follow ups for 4 years. Successful treatments: without clinical symptoms and changes in the X-rays: 5 teeth with grey MTA, 8 teeth with white MTA for period of 4 years. Unsuccessful treatments: Clinical symptoms and sometimes changes in the X-ray: 3 with grey MTA, 2 with white MTA. MTA is an appropriate material for pulp-capping and follow-up examinations revealed that the treatment was successful in preserving pulpal vitality.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abedi H. J Ingle. Mineral trioxide aggregate: A review of a new cement. - Calif Dent Assoc J 1995;23:36-39.
2. Agamy H. N. Bakry M. Mounir D. Avery. Comparison of mineral trioxide aggregate and formocresol as pulp-capping agents in pulpotomized primary teeth. - Pediatr Dent 2004;26:302-309.
3. Baker GR Mitchell Df. Topical antibiotic treatment of infected dental pulps of monkeys. - J Dent Res 1969;48:351-355.
4. Barker B. Conservative treatment of cariously exposed vital pulps in posterior teeth with a glucocorticosteroid- antibiotic compound. - J Br Endod Soc 1975;8:5-15.
5. Bates C. D.Carnes C. del Rio. Longitudinal sealing ability of mineral trioxide aggregate as a rootend filling material. - J Endod 1996;22:575-578.
6. Berk H. Save that tooth. Boston: Pulpdent Corporation 2005: 140-150.
7. Cox CF R. Subay E. Ostro S. Suzuki Tunnel defects in dentin bridges: Their formation following direct pulp capping. - Oper Dent 1996;21:4-11.
8. Cvek M. A clinical report on partial pulpotomy and capping with calcium hydroxide in permanent incisors with complicated crown fracture. - J Endod 1978;4:232-237.
9. Eidelman E G Holan A Fuks. Mineral trioxide aggregate vs. Formocresol in pulpotomized primary molars: A preliminary report. - Pediatr Dent 2001;23:15-18.
10. Faraco I. R. Holland Response of the pulp of dogs to capping with mineral trioxide aggregate or a calcium hydroxide cement. - Dent Traumatol 2001;17:163-166.
11. Fischer E D.Arens C. Miller Bacterial leakage of mineral trioxide aggregate as compared with zincfree amalgam intermediate restorative material and Super-EBA as a root-end filling material. - J Endod 1998;24:176-179.
12. Fish E. Pathology of the dentin and dental pulp. - Br Dent J 1932; 53:351-363.
13. Ford Th M. Torabinejad H. Abedi L. Bakland Using Mineral Trioxide Aggregate as a Pupl- Capping Material. - The J. Am. Dent. Assoc.Vol. 127 Issue 10 1996 Pages 1491-1494.
14. Garfunkel A Ulmansky M. Dental pulp pathosis: Clinicopathologic correlations based on 109 cases. - Oral Surg 1973;35:110-117.
15. Hasler J. D. Mitchel Painless pulpitis. - J Am Dent Assoc 1970; 81:671-677.
16. Iwamoto C. E. Adachi C. Pameijer D. Barnes et al Clinical and histological evaluation of white ProRoot MTA in direct pulp capping. - American Journal of Dentistry Vol. 19 № 2 April 2006.
17. Jones MD Gibb GH. Direct Pulp Capping with Dycal. - J Can Dent Assoc 1969;35:584-587.
18. Koh E. M.Torabinejad P. Ford K.Brady Mineral trioxide aggregate stimulates A biological response in human osteoblasts. - J Biomed Mater Res 1997;37:432-439.
19. Lee S. M.Monsef M. Torabinejad The sealing ability of a mineral trioxide aggregate for repair of lateral root perforations. - J Endod 1993;19:541-544.
20. Masoud P. M. Torabinejad Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: A Comprehensive Literature Review - Part III: Clinical Applications Drawbacks and Mechanism of Action. - J Endodontics 36 (3) 2010 400-413.
21. Matsuo T T. Nakanishi H.Shimizu S. Ebisu A clinical study of direct pulp capping applied to carious- exposed pulps. - J Endod 1996;22:551-556.
22. Meligy El A. Omar David R. Comparison of Mineral Trioxide Aggregate and Calcium Hydroxide as Pulpotomy Agents in Young Permanent Teeth. - Pediatr. Dent. Vol. 28 Number 5 2006 399-404.
23. Murray P. A. Hafez A. Smith C. Cox Hierarchy of pulp capping and repair activities responsible for dentin bridge formation. - Am J Dent 2002;15:236-243.
24. Murray P. A. Hafez A. Smith L. Windsor Histomorphometric analysis of odontoblast-like cell numbers and dentine bridge secretory activity following pulp exposure. - Int Endod J 2003;36:106-116.
25. Nakata T K. Bae J. Baumgartner Perforation repair comparing mineral trioxide aggregate and amalgam using an anaerobic bacterial leakage model. - J Endod 1998;24:184-186.
26. Negm M. E. Combe A.Grant Reaction of the exposed pulps to new cements containing calcium hydroxide. - Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol O 1981;51:190-204.
27. Obersztyn A. Healing of pinpoint exposure of rat incisor pulp under various capping agents. - J Dent Res 1966;45:1130-1143.
28. Pameijer C. H. Stanley The disastrous effects of the “Total Etch” technique in vital pulp capping in primates. - Am J Dent 1998;11:S45-S54.
29. Parirokh M. M. Torabinejad Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: A Comprehensive Literature review - Part III: Clinical Applications Drawbacks and Mechanism of Action - J Endodontics 36 № 3 2010 400-413.
30. Schwartz R. M. Mauger D. Clement W. Walker Mineral trioxide aggregate: A new material for endodontics. - J Am Dent Assoc 1999;130:967-975.
31. Stanley H. A. Clark C. Pameijer N. Louw Pulp capping with a Bioglass formula. - Am J Dent 2001;14:227-232.
32. Stanley H. Criteria for standardizing and increasing credibility of direct pulp capping studies. - Am J Dent 1998;11:S17-S34.
33. Stanley H. Pameijer C. Guest editorial: Dentistry’s friend calcium hydroxide. - Oper Dent 1997;22:1-3.
34. Stanley H. Pulp capping: Conserving the dental pulp. Can it be done? Is it worth it? - Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1989;68:628-639.
35. Stockton L. Vital pulp capping: A worthwhile procedure. - J Can Dent Assoc 1999;65:328-331.
36. Torabinejad M C. Hong S. Lee M. Monsef P. Ford Investigation of mineral trioxide aggregate for root-end filling in dogs. - J Endod 1995;21:603-608.
37. Torabinejad M P. Ford McKendry D.H.Abedi et al. Histologic assessment of mineral trioxide aggregate as a root-end Filling in Monkeys. - J Endod 1997;23:225-228.
38. Torabinejad M. P. Smith J. Kettering P. Ford. Comparative investigation of marginal adaptation of mineral trioxide aggregate and other commonly used root-end fi lling materials. - J Endod 1995;21:295-299.
39. Tuna D. A. Ölmez. Clinical long-term evaluation of MTA as a direct pulp capping material in primary teeth. Int. Endod. - J. 2008 41 № 4 273-278.
40. Tziafas D. O. Pantelidou A. Alvanou G. Belibasakis. The dentinogenic effect of mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) in short-term capping experiments. - Int Endod J 2002;35:245-254.
41. Watts A. Paterson R. Simple metallic compounds as pulp-capping agents. - Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1979;48:561-563.