The objective of this study is to analyze the distribution of the most common diagnoses observed in patients with chronic temporomandibular disorders, based on the new diagnostic criteria (DC/TMD) adopted in 2014. The previous Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC/TMD) adopted in 1992, consisted of three main groups of eight diagnostic subgroups and is currently transformed into two main groups and twelve subgroups, respectively. All subgroups correspond to the nomenclature of the ICD-10. The new clinical diagnostic indices are also modified. The analysis showed a prevalence of Pain-Related TMD compared with that of intra-articular disorders in ratio 57.89% to 42.10%. In Pain-Related TMD arthralgia was represented in 55% of cases; local myalgia - in 12%, myofascial pain - in 18%, myofascial pain with referral - in 14%, headache attributed to TMD - in 1%. In Intra-articular TMD disc displacement with reduction was found in 23% of the cases, disc displacement with reduction with intermittent locking - in 3%, disc displacement without reduction with limited opening - in 25%, disc displacement without reduction and without limited opening - in 8%. Degenerative diseases were found in 14.28%, and hypermobility and subluxations - in 26.98%. These analyzes differ and can only partly be compared with previous analyzes based on RDC system. The changes in the diagnostic criteria require new clinical studies in order to refine the picture of temporomandibular pathology in accordance with the modern views on the matter.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Dworkin SF L LeResche. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: review criteria examinations and specifications critique - J Craniomandib Disord Facial Oral Pain 6 1992 N1 301-355.
2. Dworkin SF. Research Diagnostic criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders: current status & future relevance. - J Oral Rehabil 37 2010 N1 734-743.
3. Manfredini D L Guarda-Nardini Agreement between Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders and Magnetic Resonance Diagnoses of Temporomandibular disc displacement in a patient population - Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37 2008 N7 612-616
4. Manfredini D L Guarda-Nardini E Winocur et al. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review of axis I epidemiologic findings. - Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 112 2011 N4: 453-462.
5. Manfredini D G Chiappe M Bosco. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD) axis I diagnoses in an Italian patient population. - J Oral Rehabil. 33 2006 N8 551-558.
6. Uşümez S F Oz E Güray. Comparison of clinical and magnetic resonance imaging diagnoses in patients with TMD history. - J Oral Rehabil. 31 2004 N1 52-56.
7. Velly AM M Gornitsky P Philippe. Contributing factors to chronic myofascial pain: a case-control study. - Pain 104 2003 N3 491-499.
8. Rammelsberg P L LeResche S Dworkin L Mancl. Longitudinal outcome of temporomandibular disorders: a 5-year epidemiologic study of muscle disorders defined by research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders. - J Orofac Pain 17 2003 N1 9-20.
9. American Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons. Guidelines for diagnosis and management of disorders involving the temporomandibular joint and related musculoskeletal structures. - Cranio 21 2003 N1 68-76.
10. NIDCR. Study evaluates risk factors for chronic temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders 2011 Available at: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov
11. The American Academy of Orofacial Pain. Orofacial pain: guidelines for assessment diagnosis and management 5th ed. Chicago (IL): Quintessence Publishing Co Inc.; 2013.
12. Anderson G et al. Influence of headache frequency on clinical signs and symptoms of TMD in subjects with temple headache and TMD pain. - PAIN 152 2011 N4 765-771
13. Haketa T. Randomized Clinical Trial of Treatment for TMJ Disc Displacement. - JDR 89 2010 N11 1259-1263
14. Schiffman E et al. Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for Clinical and Research Applications: Recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group. - Journal of oral & facial pain and headache 282014 N1:6-27
15. Peck C et al. Expanding the taxonomy of the diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders. - Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 41 2014; N1 2-23