An “in vitro” experimental study has been carried out on 70 extracted teeth. A laser resection of the root apex has been carried out with diode laser beam with a wavelength of - 810 ± 10 nm. Sequentially a radiation with increasing power has been applied, as follows: 1,3 W, 2W, 3W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 7W, in electro surgery mode. Successful resection of the tooth apex has been performed at: 3W; 4W; 5W; 6W and 7W power. It was established that when laser resected the tooth apex carbonizes.
1. Zerbinati , L. P. et al. Assessment of marginal adaptation after apicoectomy and apical sealing with Nd:YAG laser. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 30, 2012, № 8, 444-450.
2. Garip , H., Y. Garip, H. Oruçoğlu et S. Hatipoğlu. Effect of the angle of apical resection on apical leakage, measured with a computerized fl uid fi ltration device. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 111, 2011, № 3, 50-55.
3. de Moura , A. A. et al. Morphological assessment of dentine and cementum following apicectomy with Zekrya burs and Er: YAG laser associated with direct and indirect Nd:YAG laser irradiation. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 109, 2010, № 4, e77-82.
4. Calişkan , M. K., N. K. Parlar, H. Oruçoğlu et B. Aydin. Apical microleakage of root-end cavities prepared by Er, Cr: YSGG laser. - Lasers Med. Sci., 25, 2010, № 1, 145-150.
5. Duarte , M. A. et al. Evaluation of apical surface roughness after root resection: a scanning electron microscopic study. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 104, 2007, № 6, e74-76.
6. Arisu , H. D., B. Sadik, O. Bala et E.Türköz. Computer-assisted evaluation of microleakage after apical resection with laser and conventional techniques. - Lasers Med. Sci., 23, 2008, № 4, 415-420.
7. Stabholz , A. et al. Scanning electron microscopic study of the apical dentine surfaces lased with ND:YAG laser following apicectomy and retrofi ll. - Int. Endod. J., 25, 1992, № 6, 288-291.
8. Pozza , D. H. et al. CO(2), Er: YAG and Nd:YAG lasers in endodontic surgery. - J. Appl. Oral Sci., 17, 2009, № 6, 596-599.
9. Oliveira , R. G. et al. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and optical microscopy: effects of Er:YAG and Nd:YAG lasers on apical seals after apicoectomy and retrofi ll. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 22, 2004, № 6, 533-536.
10. Paghdiwala , A. F. Root resection of endodontically treated teeth by erbium: YAG laser radiation. - J. Endod., 19, 1993, № 2, 91-94.
11. Moritz , A. et al. The carbon dioxide laser as an aid in apicoectomy: an in vitro study. - J. Clin. Laser Med. Surg., 15, 1997, № 4, 185-188.
12. Camargo , S. E. et al. Effects of Nd:YAG laser irradiation on root canal dentin wall: a scanning electron microscopic study. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 23, 2005, № 4, 399-404.
13. Wallace , J. A. Effect of Waterlase laser retrograde root-end cavity preparation on the integrity of root apices of extracted teeth as demonstrated by light microscopy. - Aust. Endod. J., 32, 2006, № 1, 35-39.
14. Esen , E. et al. Apical microleakage of root-end cavities prepared by CO2 laser. - J. Endod., 30, 2004, № 9, 662-664.
15. Francischone , C. E. et al. Apicectomy with the Er:YAG laser or bur, followed by retrograde root fi lling with zinc oxide/eugenol or sealer 26. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 23, 2005, № 4, 395-398.
16. Maillet , W. A., C. D. Torneck et S. Friedman. Connective tissue response to root surfaces resected with Nd:YAG laser or burs. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 82, 1996, № 6, 681-690.
17. González , M., J. A. Banderas, V. Rodríguez et V. M. Castaño. Particle-induced X-ray emission and scanning electron microscopic analyses of the effects of CO2 laser irradiation on dentinal structure. - J. Dent., 27, 1999, № 8, 595-600.
18. Theodoro , L. H. et al. Effect of Er:YAG and Diode lasers on the adhesion of blood components and on the morphology of irradiated root surfaces. - J. Periodontal Res., 41, 2006, № 5, 381-390.
19. He , H. et al. Thermal and morphological effects of the pulsed Nd:YAG laser on root canal surfaces. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 27, 2009, № 2, 235-240. doi: 10.1089/pho.2008.2244.
20. Araki , A.T., Y. Ibraki, T. Kawakami et J. L. Lage-Marques. Er:Yag laser irradiation of the microbiological apical biofi lm. ― Braz. Dent. J., 17, 2006, № 4, 296-299.
21. Arens , D. L., G. C. Levy et I. M. Rizoiu. A comparison of dentin permeability after bur and laser apicoectomies. - Compendium, 14, 1993, № 10, 1290, 1292, 1294 passim; quiz 1298.
22. Nishimoto , Y. et al. Effect of pulse duration of Er: YAG laser on dentin ablation. - Dent. Mater J., 27, 2008, № 3, 433-439.
23. Bodrumlu , E. et al. Temperature variation during apicectomy with Er:YAG laser. - Photomed. Laser Surg., 30, 2012, № 8, 425-428. doi: 10.1089/pho.2012.3256. Epub 2012 Jun 25.
24. Reyhanian , A., S. Parker et J. Moshonov. The use of the erbium yttrium aluminium garnet (2,940 nm) in a laser-assisted apicectomy procedure. - Br. Dent. J., 205, 2008, № 6, 319-323. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.804.
25. Lustosa - Pereira , A. C. et al. Analysis of the morphology and composition of tooth apices apicectomized using three different ablation techniques. - Med. Oral Patol. Oral Cir. Bucal., 16, 2011, № 2, e225-320.
26. Beena , V. S. Laser application in dentistry. - J. Dent.,. 1992, Indian Dent. Assoc., 63, 1992, № 3, 1-7.
27. Kienle , A. et al. The bleaching of teeth: a review of the literature. - J. Dent., 34, 2006, 412-419.
28. Ribeiro , A. et al. Effects of diode laser (810 nm) irradiation on root canal walls: Thermographic and morphological studies. - J. Endod., 33, 2007, № 3, 252-255.
29. Walsh , L. J. The current status of laser application in dentistry. - Australian Dent. J., 48, 2003, № 3, 146-155.
30. Fried , D., R. E. Featherstone et J. D. B., W. Seka. Nature of light scattering in dental enamel and dentin at visible and near-infrared wavelengths. - Appl. Opt., 34, 1995, 1278-1285.
31. Uzunova , P. et al. Experimental study of the Penetration of Laser Radiation with red and yellow wavelengths and Different Polarization in Human Tooth complexes. - ILLA/LTL 2006, 280-285.
32. Uzunova , P. et al.. Analysis of the penetration of laser radiation in dental tissue. - J. Techn. Univ. Sofi a, br. Plovdiv, 16, 2011, 179-183.