An “in vitro” experimental study has been carried out on 70 extracted teeth. A laser resection of the root apex has been carried out with diode laser beam with a wavelength of - 810 ± 10 nm. Sequentially a radiation with increasing power has been applied, as follows: 1,3 W, 2W, 3W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 7W, in electro surgery mode. Successful resection of the tooth apex has been performed at: 3W; 4W; 5W; 6W and 7W power. It was established that when laser resected the tooth apex carbonizes.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Zerbinati L. P. et al. Assessment of marginal adaptation after apicoectomy and apical sealing with Nd:YAG laser. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 30 2012 № 8 444-450.
2. Garip H. Y. Garip H. Oruçoğlu et S. Hatipoğlu. Effect of the angle of apical resection on apical leakage measured with a computerized fl uid fi ltration device. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 111 2011 № 3 50-55.
3. de Moura A. A. et al. Morphological assessment of dentine and cementum following apicectomy with Zekrya burs and Er: YAG laser associated with direct and indirect Nd:YAG laser irradiation. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 109 2010 № 4 e77-82.
4. Calişkan M. K. N. K. Parlar H. Oruçoğlu et B. Aydin. Apical microleakage of root-end cavities prepared by Er Cr: YSGG laser. - Lasers Med. Sci. 25 2010 № 1 145-150.
5. Duarte M. A. et al. Evaluation of apical surface roughness after root resection: a scanning electron microscopic study. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 104 2007 № 6 e74-76.
6. Arisu H. D. B. Sadik O. Bala et E.Türköz. Computer-assisted evaluation of microleakage after apical resection with laser and conventional techniques. - Lasers Med. Sci. 23 2008 № 4 415-420.
7. Stabholz A. et al. Scanning electron microscopic study of the apical dentine surfaces lased with ND:YAG laser following apicectomy and retrofi ll. - Int. Endod. J. 25 1992 № 6 288-291.
8. Pozza D. H. et al. CO(2) Er: YAG and Nd:YAG lasers in endodontic surgery. - J. Appl. Oral Sci. 17 2009 № 6 596-599.
9. Oliveira R. G. et al. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and optical microscopy: effects of Er:YAG and Nd:YAG lasers on apical seals after apicoectomy and retrofi ll. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 22 2004 № 6 533-536.
10. Paghdiwala A. F. Root resection of endodontically treated teeth by erbium: YAG laser radiation. - J. Endod. 19 1993 № 2 91-94.
11. Moritz A. et al. The carbon dioxide laser as an aid in apicoectomy: an in vitro study. - J. Clin. Laser Med. Surg. 15 1997 № 4 185-188.
12. Camargo S. E. et al. Effects of Nd:YAG laser irradiation on root canal dentin wall: a scanning electron microscopic study. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 23 2005 № 4 399-404.
13. Wallace J. A. Effect of Waterlase laser retrograde root-end cavity preparation on the integrity of root apices of extracted teeth as demonstrated by light microscopy. - Aust. Endod. J. 32 2006 № 1 35-39.
14. Esen E. et al. Apical microleakage of root-end cavities prepared by CO2 laser. - J. Endod. 30 2004 № 9 662-664.
15. Francischone C. E. et al. Apicectomy with the Er:YAG laser or bur followed by retrograde root fi lling with zinc oxide/eugenol or sealer 26. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 23 2005 № 4 395-398.
16. Maillet W. A. C. D. Torneck et S. Friedman. Connective tissue response to root surfaces resected with Nd:YAG laser or burs. - Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 82 1996 № 6 681-690.
17. González M. J. A. Banderas V. Rodríguez et V. M. Castaño. Particle-induced X-ray emission and scanning electron microscopic analyses of the effects of CO2 laser irradiation on dentinal structure. - J. Dent. 27 1999 № 8 595-600.
18. Theodoro L. H. et al. Effect of Er:YAG and Diode lasers on the adhesion of blood components and on the morphology of irradiated root surfaces. - J. Periodontal Res. 41 2006 № 5 381-390.
19. He H. et al. Thermal and morphological effects of the pulsed Nd:YAG laser on root canal surfaces. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 27 2009 № 2 235-240. doi: 10.1089/pho.2008.2244.
20. Araki A.T. Y. Ibraki T. Kawakami et J. L. Lage-Marques. Er:Yag laser irradiation of the microbiological apical biofi lm. ― Braz. Dent. J. 17 2006 № 4 296-299.
21. Arens D. L. G. C. Levy et I. M. Rizoiu. A comparison of dentin permeability after bur and laser apicoectomies. - Compendium 14 1993 № 10 1290 1292 1294 passim; quiz 1298.
22. Nishimoto Y. et al. Effect of pulse duration of Er: YAG laser on dentin ablation. - Dent. Mater J. 27 2008 № 3 433-439.
23. Bodrumlu E. et al. Temperature variation during apicectomy with Er:YAG laser. - Photomed. Laser Surg. 30 2012 № 8 425-428. doi: 10.1089/pho.2012.3256. Epub 2012 Jun 25.
24. Reyhanian A. S. Parker et J. Moshonov. The use of the erbium yttrium aluminium garnet (2940 nm) in a laser-assisted apicectomy procedure. - Br. Dent. J. 205 2008 № 6 319-323. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.804.
25. Lustosa - Pereira A. C. et al. Analysis of the morphology and composition of tooth apices apicectomized using three different ablation techniques. - Med. Oral Patol. Oral Cir. Bucal. 16 2011 № 2 e225-320.
26. Beena V. S. Laser application in dentistry. - J. Dent.. 1992 Indian Dent. Assoc. 63 1992 № 3 1-7.
27. Kienle A. et al. The bleaching of teeth: a review of the literature. - J. Dent. 34 2006 412-419.
28. Ribeiro A. et al. Effects of diode laser (810 nm) irradiation on root canal walls: Thermographic and morphological studies. - J. Endod. 33 2007 № 3 252-255.
29. Walsh L. J. The current status of laser application in dentistry. - Australian Dent. J. 48 2003 № 3 146-155.
30. Fried D. R. E. Featherstone et J. D. B. W. Seka. Nature of light scattering in dental enamel and dentin at visible and near-infrared wavelengths. - Appl. Opt. 34 1995 1278-1285.
31. Uzunova P. et al. Experimental study of the Penetration of Laser Radiation with red and yellow wavelengths and Different Polarization in Human Tooth complexes. - ILLA/LTL 2006 280-285.
32. Uzunova P. et al.. Analysis of the penetration of laser radiation in dental tissue. - J. Techn. Univ. Sofi a br. Plovdiv 16 2011 179-183.