This paper describes the method of numerical modeling of the tension and compression behavior of sintered 316L. In order to take into account the shape of the mesostructures of materials in the numerical modeling, X-ray microtomography was used. Based on the micro-CT images, three-dimensional geometrical models mapped shapes of the porosity were generated. To the numerical calculations was used finite element method. Based on the received stress and strain fields was described the mechanism of deformation of the materials until fracture. The influence of material discontinuities at the mesoscopic scale on macromechanical properties of the porous materials was investigated.
1. Disegi J. A., Eschbach L. (2000), Stainless steel in bone surgery, Injury, 31,S-D2-6.
2. Ashby M. F., Evans A. G., Fleck N. A., Gibson L. J., Hutchinson J. W., Wadley H. N. G. (2000), Metal Foams: A Design Guid, Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
3. Rammerstorfer F. G., Daxner T., Bohm H. J. (2002), Modeling and Simulation. In: Degischer HP, Kriszt B, editors. Handbook of Cellular Metals: Production, Processing Applications, Germany: Wiley-VCH.
4. Kujime T., Tane M., Hyun S. K., Nakajima H. (2007), Threedimensional image-based modeling of lotus-type porous carbon steel and simulation of its mechanical behaviour by finite element method, Materials Science and Engineering A, 460-461, 220-226.
5. Maruyama B., Spowart J. E., Hooper D. J., Mullens H. M., Druma A. M., Druma C., Alam M. K. (2006), A new technique for obtaining three-dimensional structures in pitch-based carbon foams. Scripta Materialia, 54, 1709-1713.
6. De Giorgi M., Carofalo A., Dattoma V., Nobile R., Palano F. (2010), Aluminium foams structural modelling, Computers & Structures, 88, 25-35.
7. Marcadon V. (2011), Mechanical modelling of the creep behaviour of Hollow-Sphere Structures, Computational Materials Science, 50, 3005-3015.
8. Nammi S. K., Myler P., Edwards G. (2010), Finite element analysis of closed-cell aluminium foam under quasi-static loading. Materials and Design, 31, 712-722.
9. Michailidis N., Stergioudi F., Omar H., Tsipas D. N. (2010), An image-based reconstruction of the 3D geometry of an Al open-cell foam and FEM modeling of the material response, Mechanics of Materials, 42, 142-147.
10. Veyhl C., Belova I. V., Murch G. E., Fiedler T. (2011), Finite element analysis of the mechanical properties of cellular aluminium based on micro-computed tomography, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528, 4550-4555.
11. Michailidis N., Stergioudi F., Omar H., Tsipas D. (2010), FEM modeling of the response of porous Al in compression, Computational Materials Science, 48, 282-286.
12. Michailidis N. (2011) Strain rate dependent compression response of Ni-foam investigated by experimental and FEM simulation methods, Materials Science and Engineering A, 528, 4204-4208.
13. Veyhl C., Fiedler T., Jehring U., Andersen U., Bernthaler T., Belova I. V., Murch G.E. (2013), On mechanical properties of sintered metallic fibre structures, Materials Science and Engineering A, 562, 83-88.
14. EN ISO 6892-1:2009, Metallic materials - Tensile testing - Part 1: Method of test at room temperature, CEN: 2009.
15. Derpeński Ł., Seweryn A. (2011), Experimental Research into Fracture of EN-AW 2024 and EW-AW 2007 Aluminum Alloy Specimens with Notches Subjected to Tension, Experimental Mechanics, 51, 1075-1094.
16. Marc® 2010, Product Documentation, Volume B: Element Library.
17. Falkowska A., Seweryn A. (2015), Fatigue of sintered porous materials based on 316l stainless steel under uniaxial loading. Materials Science (in press).