Double diffusive convection in a horizontal layer of nanofluid in the presence of uniform vertical magnetic field with Soret effect is investigated for more realistic boundary conditions. The flux of volume fraction of nanoparticles is taken to be zero on the isothermal boundaries. The normal mode method is used to find linear stability analysis for the fluid layer. Oscillatory convection is ruled out because of the absence of the two opposing buoyancy forces. Graphs have been plotted to find the effects of various parameters on the stationary convection and it is found that magnetic field, solutal Rayleigh number and nanofluid Lewis number stabilizes fluid layer, while Soret effect, Lewis number, modified diffusivity ratio and nanoparticle Rayleigh number destabilize the fluid layer.
1. Alchaar S., Vesseur P., Bilgen E.(1995), Effect of a magnetic field on the onset of convection in a porous medium, Heat and Mass Transfers, 30, 259-267.
2. Alloui Z. , Vasseur P., Reggio M. (2010), Natural convection of nanofluids in a shallow cavity heated from below, International Journal of Thermal Science, 50(3), 385-393.
3. Bahloul A., Boutana N., Vasseur P. (2003), Double-diffusive and Soret-induced convection in a shallow horizontal porous layer, J. Fluid Mech., 491, 325-352.
4. Buongiorno J.(2006), Convective Transport in Nanofluids, ASMEJournal of Heat Transfer, 12, 240-250.
5. Chand R.(2013), On the onset of Rayleigh-Bénard convection in a layer of nanofluid in Hydromagnetics, Int. J. of Nanoscience, 12(6), 1350038-7.
6. Chand R., Kango S. K., Rana G. C. (2014),Thermal Instability in Anisotropic Porous Medium Saturated by a Nanofluid-A Realistic Approach, NSNTAIJ, 8(12), 445-453.
7. Chand R., Kango S. K., Singh V. (2015a), Megneto-convection in a layer of Maxwell visco-elastic fluid in a porous medium with Soret effect, Research J. of Engineering and Tech., 6(7), 23-30.
8. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2012a), Dufour and Soret effects on the thermosolutal instability of Rivlin-Ericksen elastico-viscous fluid in porous medium, Z. Naturforsch, 67a, 685-691.
9. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2012b), Oscillating convection of nanofluid in porous medium, Transp Porous Med., 95, 269-284.
10. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2012c), On the onset of thermal convection in rotating nanofluid layer saturating a Darcy-Brinkman porous medium, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 55, 5417-5424.
11. Chand R., Rana G. C.(2012d),Thermal instability of Rivlin-Ericksen elastico-viscous nanofluid saturated by a porous medium, J. Fluids Eng., 134(12), 21203-7.
12. Chand R., Rana G. C.(2014a), Double diffusive convection in a layer of Maxwell visco-elastic fluid in porous medium in the presence of Soret and Dufour effects, Journal of Fluids, 2014, 1-7.
13. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2014b), Hall Effect on the thermal instability in a horizontal layer of nanofluid, Journal of Nanofluids, 3, 247-253.
14. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2014c),Thermal instability in a Brinkman porous medium saturated by nanofluid with no nanoparticle flux on boundaries, Special Topics & Reviews in Porous Media: An International Journal, 5(4), 277-286.
15. Chand R., Rana G. C. (2015), Magneto convection in a layer of nanofluid in porous medium-A more realistic approach, Journal of Nanofluids, 4, 196-202.
16. Chand R., Rana G. C., Hussein A. K. (2015b),On the onset of thermal instability in a low Prandtl number nanofluid layer in a porous medium, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 8(2), 265-272.
17. Chandrasekhar S.(1961), Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability, Oxford University Press, Dover Publication, New York.
18. Choi S.(1995), Enhancing Thermal Conductivity of Fluids with Nanoparticles in: D.A. Siginer and H. P. Wang (Eds), Developments and Applications of Non-Newtonian Flows, ASMEFED, Vol. 231/MDVol. 66, 99-105.
19. Gupta U., Ahuja J., Wanchoo R. K. (2013), Magneto-convection in a nanofluid layer, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 64, 1163-1171.
20. Kim J.,Kang Y.T. ,Choi C.K. (2011),Analysis of convective ins ta bi l i t y and heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids, Physics of Fluid, 16(7), 2395-2401.
21. Knobloch E., (1980), Convection in binary fluids, Phys. Fluids, 23(9), 1918-1920.
22. Kuznetsov A. V., Nield D. A. (2010a), Effect of local thermal nonequilibrium on the onset of convection in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid, Transport in Porous Media, 83, 425-436.
23. Kuznetsov A. V., Nield D. A. (2010b), The onset of double-diffusive nanofluid convection in a layer of a saturated porous medium, Transport in Porous Media, 85(3),941-952.
24. Kuznetsov A. V., Nield D. A.(2011), Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid: Brinkman Model, Transp. Porous Medium, 81(3), 409-422.
25. Motsa S. S. (2008), On the onset of convection in a porous layer in the presence of Dufour and Soret effects, SJPAM, 3, 58-65.
26. Nield D. A. (1968), Onset of thermohaline convection in a porous medium, Water Resour. Res., 4, 553-560.
27. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2009), Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 52, 5796-5801.
28. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2010a), The on set of convection in a horizontal nanofluid layer of finite depth, European Journal of Mechanics B/Fluids, 2, 217-223.
29. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2010b), The effect of local thermal non-equilibrium on the onset of convection in a nanofluid, J. Heat Transfer, 132(5),052405-052411.
30. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2010b), The onset of double-diffusive convection in a nanofluid layer, Int. J. of Heat and Fluid Flow, 32(4), 771-776.
31. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2011a), The onset of convection in a layer of cellular porous material: Effect of temperature-dependent conductivity arising from radiative transfer, J. Heat Transfer, 132(7), 074503-4.
32. Nield D. A., Kuznetsov A. V. (2014), Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid: A revised model, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 4, 68, 211-214.
33. Nield D. A., Manole D. M., Lage J. L. (1993), Convection induced by inclined thermal and thermosolutal gradients in a shallow horizontal layer of porous medium, J. Fluid Mech., 257, 559-568.
34. Patil R. P., Rudraiah N. (1973), Stability of hydromagnetic thermoconvective flow through porous medium, Transactions of the ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 40(E), 879-884.
35. Rudraiah N., Shrimani P. K., Friedrich R. (1982), Finite amplitude convection in two component fluid saturated porous layer, Int. J. Heat and MassTransfer, 25, 715-722.
36. Tzou D. Y. (2008a), Thermal in stability of nanofluids in natural convection, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 51, 2967-2979.
37. Tzou D. Y. (2008b), Instability of nanofluids in natural convection, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 130, 1-9.
38. Yadav D., Bhargava R., Agrawal G. S. (2013), Thermal instability in a nanofluid layer with a vertical magnetic field, J. Eng. Math., 80, 147-164.