The submitted article deals with the evaluation of the somatotype of persons and determination of a suitable somatotype for selected sports. In the introduction the method for determining and evaluating a somatotype according to Carter and Heath is characterised. The processes used for calculating the individual components - endomorphy, mesomorphy, ectomorphy - are presented as well as a description of these elements. The calculated components are subsequently put into a somatograph. The evaluation of a somatotype is of great benefit and offers a guideline with the selection of sporting activities; it subsequently helps assign athletes into a suitable position where they will be able to best develop their talents in view of their bodily construction. In this work two types of sports are evaluated - basketball and bodybuilding. With each sport the measurements which give the prerequisites for the given sport are presented. The selection of the presented sports was made with regard to the different requirements and demands in the scope of bodily constitution. The aim of the presented paper is to assess physical parameters of subjects groups in relation to selected sports (basketball and bodybuilding). Based on the body constitution to determine the conditions for developing the physical condition and success in the appointed sports. Another objective is to compare the rating form and equation methods for somatotype determination. The sample consist 32 subjects with age between 22-28 years of both sexes, who are dedicated to basketball, or bodybuilding at amateur level.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bernacíková M. Kapounková K. Novotný J. (2010) Basketball in: Masaryk University Brno multimedial internet book http://is.muni.cz/do/rect/el/estud/fsps/ps10/fyziol/web/sport/hry-basketbal.html (in Czech)
2. Carter J.E.L. Heath B.H. (1990) Somatotyping - Development and Applications Cambridge Cambridge University Press.
3. Carter L. (1996) Somatotyping in: Norton K. Olds T. (Eds.): Anthropometrica Chapt. 6 Sydney University of New South Wales Press 147-170.
4. Duquet W. Carter J.E.L. (2001) Somatotyping in: Eston R. Reilly T. (Eds.): Kinanthropometry and Exercise Physiology Laboratory Manual: Tests Procedures and Data Vol. 1 Anthropometry Chapt. 2. London: E & F.N. Spon.
5. Grasgruber P. Cacek J. (2008) Sport genes in Computer Press Brno (in czech - Sportovní geny)
6. Hrstková L. (2011) Somatotype Evaluation of Czech Woman Alpine Ski Team - Master thesis in Masaryk University Brno http://is.muni.cz/th/102301/fsps_m/?lang=en;id=214680 (in Czech)
7. Isak (2001) International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment Underdale International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry.
8. Komadel L. (1985) Sports Medicine in SPN Bratislava (in Slovak
9. Norton K. Olds T. (1996) Anthropometrica: A Textbook of Body Measurement for Sports and Health Courses UNSW Press.
10. Novotný J. (2013) Anthropology in sport - electronic teaching materials in Masaryk University Brno http://www.fsps.muni.cz/~novotny/Antropologie.pdf (in Czech).
11. Pavlík J. (1999) A body build as a sportsmans performance factor - monograph in Masaryk University Brno http://home.pf.jcu.cz/~rvobr/somatotyp.htm (in Czech).
12. Rempel R. (1994). A modified somatotype assessment methodology M.Sc. Thesis Simon Fraser University Burnaby Canada.
13. Rosique J. Rebato E. Gonzalez Apraiz A. Pacheco J. L. (1994) Somatotype related to centripetal fat patterning of 8- to 19-year-old Basque boys and girls American Journal of Human Biology 6 171-181.
14. Singh S. P. Mehta P. (2009) Human Body Measurements: Concepts And Applications PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
15. Sodhi H. S. (1991) Sports Anthropometry (A Kinanthropometric Approach) Mohali ANOVA Publications.
16. Trebuňová M. Gdovinová Z. Habalová V. Slabá E. (2008) ACE I/D polymorphism in Alzheimer's disease Central European Journal of Biology 3 (1) 49-54.
17. Trebuňová M. Slabá E. Habalová V. Gdovinová Z. (2009) The Role of the -427T/C Apolipoprotein E Promoter Polymorphism in the Pathogenesis of Alzheimer's Disease Vascular Dementia and Mixed Dementia Journal of Neural Transmission 116 (3) 339-344.
18. Vitek L. (2012) What is somatotype and how do we measure it? http://www.sportvital.cz/zdravi/diagnostika/co-je-to-somatotyp-a-jakho-merime/ (in Czech)