In this paper, implementation of soft sensing technique for measurement of fluid flow rate is reported. The objective of the paper is to design an estimator to physically measure the flow in pipe by analysing the vibration on the walls of the pipe. Commonly used head type flow meter causes obstruction to the flow and measurement would depend on the placement of these sensors. In the proposed technique vibration sensor is bonded on the pipe of liquid flow. It is observed that vibration in the pipe varies with the control action of stem. Single axis accelerometer is used to acquire vibration signal from pipe, signal is passed from the sensor to the system for processing. Basic techniques like filtering, amplification, and Fourier transform are used to process the signal. The obtained transform is trained using neural network algorithm to estimate the fluid flow rate. Artificial neural network is designed using back propagation with artificial bee colony algorithm. Designed estimator after being incorporated in practical setup is subjected to test and the result obtained shows successful estimation of flow rate with the root mean square percentage error of 0.667.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Agu C.E., Hjulstad Å., Elseth G., Lie B. (2017), Algorithm with improved accuracy for real-time measurement of flow rate in open channel systems, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 57, 20-27.
2. Biswal J., Pant H.J., Goswami S., Samantray J.S., Sharma V.K., Sarma K.S.S. (2018), Measurement of flow rates of water in large diameter pipelines using radiotracer dilution method, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 59, 194-200.
3. Czech K.R., Gosk W. (2017), Measurement of surface vibration accelerations propagated in the environment, Procedia engineering, 189, 45-50.
4. Dinardo G., Fabbiano L., Vacca G., Lay-Ekuakille A. (2018), Vibrational signal processing for characterization of fluid flows in pipes, Measurement, 113, 196-204.
5. Guozhen Y., Yongqian L., Zhi Y. (2016), A novel fiber Bragg grating acceleration sensor for measurement of vibration, Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 127(20), 8874-8882.
6. Hobeck J. D., Inman D.J. (2015), Low-Cost Pressure Probe Sensor for Predicting Turbulence-Induced Vibration from Invasive Low-Velocity Turbulent Flow Measurements, IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(8), 4373-4379.
7. Jaiswal S.K., Yadav S., Agarwal R. (2017), Design and development of a novel water flow measurement system, Measurement, 105, 120-129.
8. Kim D., Khalil H., Nam J., Park, K. (2015), Image-based tracking system for rotating object vibration measurement using laser scanning vibrometer, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 16(8), 1717-1721.
9. Kim T., Saini A., Kim J., Gopalarathnam A., Zhu Y., Palmieri F.L., Jiang X. (2017), Piezoelectric Floating Element Shear Stress Sensor for the Wind Tunnel Flow Measurement, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, 46, 1-1.
10. Kirwan P.P., Creighton D., Costello C., O’Brien T.P., Moloney K.W. (2016), Momentum Change Flow Meter With Pressure Compensation Using FBGs, IEEE Sensors Journal, 16(19), 7061-7064.
11. Koshekov K.T., Klikushin Y.N., Kobenko V.Y., Sof’ina N.N., Savostin A. A., Kashevkin A.A. (2016), Testing a pump unit by identification measurements of vibration signals, Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 52(5), 280-286.
12. Krejčí J., Ježová L., Kučerová R., Plička R., Broža Š., Krejčí D., Ventrubová I. (2017), The measurement of small flow. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 266, 308-313.
13. Lay-Ekuakille A., Vergallo P., Griffo G., Morello R. (2014), Pipeline flow measurement using real-time imaging, Measurement, 47, 1008-1015.
14. Lee J.K., Seung H.M., Park C.I., Lee J.K., Lim D.H., Kim, Y.Y. (2018), Magnetostrictive patch sensor system for battery-less real-time measurement of torsional vibrations of rotating shafts, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 414, 245-258.
15. Lezhin D.S., Falaleev S.V., Safin A.I., Ulanov A.M., Vergnano D. (2017), Comparison of different methods of non-contact vibration measurement, Procedia Engineering, 176, 175-183.
16. Liu Z., Wang W. (2016), Flow measurement method based on a fringing field capacitor structure, Electronics Letters, 52(21), 1771-1772.
17. Luo Z., Chu J., Shen L., Hu P., Zhu H., Hu L. (2014), Measurement of underwater vibration by ultrasonic speckle stroboscopic technique. Measurement, 47, 938-945.
18. Malan S., Greco C., Tisseur R., Bari F. (2017), Parameters Estimation of Hydraulic Circuit Head Losses for Virtual Sensor Design, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 25(4), 1345-1358.
19. Marick S., Bera S.K., Bera S.C. (2014), A modified technique of flow transducer using Bourdon tube as primary sensing element, IEEE Sensors Journal, 14(9), 3033-3039.
20. Mozuras A. (2017), Vibration measurement with nonlinear converter in the presence of noise, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 407, 309-331.
21. Navada B.R., Santhosh K.V., Mazhar A., Singh A.K., (2017), July. Design of Kalman observer for estimation of in-flow, International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Instrumentation and Control Technologies (ICICICT), 1010-1014),
22. Norgia M., Pesatori A., Donati S. (2016), Compact laser-diode instrument for flow measurement, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 65(6), 1478-1483.
23. Pecly J.O.G., Fernandes S.R.C. (2017), Ancillary device for flow rate measurement using dye tracer technique, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 54, 274-282.
24. Qiu Q., Lau D. (2018), Measurement of structural vibration by using optic-electronic sensor, Measurement, 117, 435-443.
25. Qiu Z.C., Wang X.F., Zhang X.M., Liu J.G. (2018), A novel vibration measurement and active control method for a hinged flexible two-connected piezoelectric plate, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 107, 357-395.
26. Santhosh K.V., Roy B.K. (2016), A Practically validated intelligent calibration circuit using optimized ANN for flow measurement using venture, Jr. of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series B, 97 (1), 31-39.
27. Schantz C., Donnal J., Sennett B., Gillman M., Muller S., Leeb, S. (2015), Water nonintrusive load monitoring, IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(4), 2177-2185.
28. Sinha S., Banerjee D., Mandal N., Sarkar R., Bera S.C. (2015), Design and implementation of real-time flow measurement system using Hall probe sensor and PC-based SCADA, IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(10), 5592-5600.
29. Son K.S., Jeon H.S., Park J.H., Park J. W. (2015), Vibration displacement measurement technology for cylindrical structures using camera images, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 47(4), 488-499.
30. Yasuda A., Hasegawa S., Pohtala J.V., Miyazaki T. (2015), Amplitude measurement of micro-vibration with robust optical interferometer systems, Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 126(23), 4577-4580.
31. Zin M.M.M., Zaw M.A., Zaw M.N. (2009), Design and Implementation of Active Band-Pass Filter for Low Frequency RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) System, Proceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, Hong Kong.