In this paper, a novel fuel-injection mechatronic control method and system for direct injection (DI) internal combustion engines (ICE) is proposed. This method and system is based on the energy saving in a capacitance using DC-DC converter, giving a very fast ON state of the fuel injectors’ electro-magnetic fluidical valves without an application of the initial load current. A fuel-injection controller for the DI ICEs that provides a very short rising time of an electromagnet-winding current in an initial ON state of the fuel-injector’s electromagnetic fluidical valves, which improves a fuel-injection controller reliability and simplify its construction, is presented. Due to a number of advantages of afore -mentioned fuel-injection mechatronic control method and system, it may be utilised for the DI ICEs with fuel injectors dedicated to all types of liquid and/or gas fuels, for example, gasoline, diesel-oil, alkohol, LPG and NPG.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Achleitner E. Bcker H. Funaioli A. (2007) Direct injection systems for otto engines. SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1416.
2. Berndorfer A. Breuer S. Piock W. Bacho P. (2013) Diffusion Combustion Phenomena in GDi Engines caused by Injection Process SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0261.
3. Bosch R. (2014) Automotive Electrics and Automotive ElectronicsSpringer Vieweg 5th Edition Springer Germany
4. Boudy F. Seers P. (2009) Impact of physical properties of bio-diesel on the injection process in a common-rail direct injection system Energy Conversion and Management 50(12) 2905-2912.
5. Chatlatanagulchai W. Yaovaja K. Rhienprayoon S. Wannatong K. (2010) Gain-scheduling integrator-augmented sliding-mode control of common-rail pressure in dieseldual-fuel engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1573.
6. Chen H. Gong X. Liu Q. F. Hu Y. F. (2014) Triple-step method to design nonlinear controller for rail pressure of gasoline direct injection engines IET Control Theory & Applications 8(11) 948-959.
7. Chladny R.R. Koch C.R. (2008) Flatness-based tracking of an electromechanical variable valve timing actuator with disturbance observer feedforward compensation IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16(4) 652 – 663.
8. Como M. Savaresi S.M. Scattolini R. Comignaghi E. Sofia M. Palma A. Eduardo Sepe E. (2008) Modelling parameter identification and dynamics analysis of a common rail injection system for gasoline engines Proceedings of the 17th IFAC World Congress 8481-8486 Seoul Korea.
9. Gaeta A. Fiengo G. Palladino A. Giglio V. (2009) A control oriented model of a common-rail system for gasoline direct injection engine Proceedings of the 28th Chinese Control Conference 6614-6619 Shanghai China.
10. Gaeta A. Montanaro U. Fiengo G. Palladino A & Giglio V. (2012) A model-based gain scheduling approach for controlling the common-rail system for GDI engines International Journal of Control 85(4) 419-436.
11. Gaeta A. Montanaro U. Giglio V. (2011) Model-based Control of the AFR for GDI Engines via Advanced Co-simulation: An Approach to Reduce the Development Cycle of Engine Control Systems Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control 133 061006 (1-17).
12. Giorgetti N. Ripaccioli G. Bemporad A. Kolmanovsky I. and Hrovat D. (2006) Hybrid model predictive control of direct injection stratified charge engines IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 11(5) 499-506.
13. Gupta V.K. Zhang Z. Sun Z. (2011) Modeling and control of a novel pressure regulation mechanism for common rail fuel injection systems Applied Mathematical Modelling 35(7) 3473-3483.
15. Husted H. Spegar T. Spakowski J. (2014) The Effects of GDi Fuel Pressure on Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1438.
16. Jiangjian A. Gao Xiyan B. Yao Chunde C. (2006) An Experimental Study on Fuel Injection System and Emission of a Small GDI Engine Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications 1-6.
17. Lino P. Maione B. Rizzo A. (2007) Nonlinear modelling and control of a common rail injection system for diesel engines Applied Mathematical Modelling 31(9) 1770-1784.
18. Montanaro U. Gaeta A. Giglio V. (2011) An MRAC approach for tracking and ripple attenuation of the common rail pressure for GDI engines Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress 4173–4180 Milano Italy.
19. Ra Y. Loeper P. Andrie M. Krieger R. David E. Foster D. Reitz R. and Durrett R. (2012) Gasoline DICI Engine Operation in the LTC Regime Using Triple-Pulse Injection SAE Int. J. Engines 5(3) 1109-1132.
20. Sellnau M. Sinnamon J. Hoyer K. Husted H. (2012) Full-Time Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) for High Efficiency and Low NOx and PM SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2) 300-314.
21. Sellnau M. Sinnamon J. Hoyer K. Kim J. Cavotta M. and Harry Husted H. (2013) Part-Load Operation of Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0272.
22. Sun Z-Y. Zhao J. ShiLeonid Y. and Ma G. (2015) Numerical investigation on transient flow and cavitation characteristic within nozzle during the oil drainage process for a high-pressure common-rail DI diesel engine Energy Conversion and Management 98 507-517.
23. Tang H.J. Weng L. Dong Z.Y. Yan R. (2009) Adaptive and learning control for SI engine model with uncertainties IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 14 93-104.
24. Wen-Chang T. Peng-Cheng Y. (2011) Design of the Electrical Drive for the High-Pressure GDI Injector in a 500cc Motorbike Engine International Journal of Engineering and Industries 2(1) 70-83.
25. Yan F. Wang J. (2011) Common rail injection system iteractive learning control based parameter calibration for accurate fuel injection quantity control International Journal of Automotive Technology 12(2) 149-157.
26. Zhao H. (2016) Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development Elsevier Amsterdam.