An optimization study using the design of experiment technique is described, in which the surface profile height of a freeform surface, determined in coordinate measurements, is the response variable. The control factors are coordinate sampling parameters, i.e. the sampling grid size and the measuring tip diameter. As a result of the research, an optimal combination of these parameters was found for surface mapping with acceptable measurement uncertainty. The presented study is the first stage of optimization of machining error correction for the freeform surface and was intended to take into account mechanical-geometric filtration of surface irregularities caused by these geometrical parameters. The tests were carried out on a freeform workpiece milled with specific machining parameters, Ra of the surface roughness was 1.62 μm. The search for the optimal combination of parameters was conducted using Statistica software.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Adamczak S. Janecki D Makieła W. Stępień K. (2010) Quantitative comparison of cylindricity profiles measured with different methods using Legendre-Fourier coefficients Metrology and Measurement Systems XVII 233-244.
2. Al-Ahmari A.M.A. Aalam J. (2015) Optimizing parameters of freeform surface reconstruction using CMM Measurement 64 17-28.
3. Barini E. M. Tosello G. De Chifre L. (2010) Uncertainty analysis of point-by-point sampling complex surfaces using touch probe CMMs. DOE for complex surfaces verification with CMM Precision Engineering 34 16-21.
4. Chen Y. Tang H. Tang Q. Zhang A. Chen D. Li K. (2018) Machining error decomposition and compensation of complicated surfaces by EMD method Measurement 116 341-349.
5. Chena Y. Gaoa J. Deng H. Zhenga D. Chena X. Kelly R. (2013) Spatial statistical analysis and compensation of machining errors for complex surfaces Precision Engineering 37 203–212.
6. Dietrich E. Schulze A. (2000) Statistical methods in qualification of measuring devices of machines and processes Notika System Warsaw (in Polish).
7. Feng C-X Saal A. L. Salsbury J. G. Ness A. R. Lin G. C. S. (2007) Precision Engineering 31 94-101.
8. ISO 14253-1:2014 Geometrical product specifications (GPS) – Inspection by measurement of workpieces and measuring equipment – Part 1: Decision rules for proving conformity or nonconformity with specification.
9. ISO 14253-2:2011 Geometrical product specifications (GPS) – Inspection by measurement of workpieces and measuring equipment – Part 2: Guidance for the estimation of uncertainty in GPS measurement in calibration of measuring equipment and in product verification.
10. ISO/IEC Guide 98-3:2008Uncertainty of measurement – Part 3: Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement (GUM:1995).
11. Jakubiec W. Płowucha W. Starczak M. (2012) Analytical estimation of coordinate measurement uncertainty Measurement 45 2299-2308.
12. Karaszewski R. Skrzypczyńska K. (2013) Quality management TNOiK Toruń (in Polish).
13. Kowalczyk J. (1995) Quality management –Taguchi Method Bellona Warsaw (in Polish).
14. Mehrad V. Xue D. Gu P. (2013) Prediction of surface reconstruction uncertainties for freeform surface inspection Measurement 2013 46 2682-2694.
15. Moroni G. Petrò S. (2014) Optimal inspection strategy planning for geometric tolerance verification Precision Engineering 38 71-81
16. Obeidat S.M. Raman S.: An intelligent sampling method for inspecting free-form surfaces. International Journal Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2009 40 1125-1136.
17. Poniatowska M. (2012) Deviation model based method of planning accuracy inspection of free-form surfaces using CMMs Measurement 45 927-937.
18. Rajamohan G. Shunmugam M. S. Samuel G. L. (2011a) Effect of probe size and measurement strategies on assessment of freeform profile deviations using coordinate measuring machine Measurement 44 832-841.
19. Rajamohan G. Shunmugam M.S. Samuel G.L. (2011b) Practical measurement strategies for verification of freeform surfaces using coordinate measuring machines Metrology and Measurement Systems XVIII 209-222.
20. Savio E. De Chiffre L Schmitt R. (2007) Metrology of freeform shaped parts Annals of the CIRP 56 810-835.
21. Sladek J. A. (2016) Coordinate Metrology: Accuracy of Systems and Measurements. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
22. Weckenmann A Estler T. Peggs G. Mc Murtry D. (2004) Probing Systems in Dimensional Metrology CIRP Ann. 53 657-684.