It is justified that design is an inverse problem, and the optimization is a paradigm. Classes of design problems are proposed and typical obstacles are recognized. Peculiarities of the mechatronic designing are specified as a proof of a particle importance of optimization in the mechatronic design. Two main obstacles of optimization are discussed: a complexity of mathematical models and an uncertainty of the value system, in concrete case. Then a set of non-standard approaches and methods are presented and discussed, illustrated by examples: a fuzzy description, a constraint-based iterative optimization, AHP ranking method and a few MADM functions in Matlab.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Długosz A. (2013) Multicriteria optimization in conjugated field problems (in Polish) Wydawnictwo Politechniki Śląskiej Gliwice.
2. MATLAB reference documentation
3. Ociepa Z. Tarnowski W. (2003) Parametric Synthesis of Discrete Controllers Aided by Optimization Computer Procedures International Carpathian Control Conference ICCC'2003 Tatrzańska Łomnica Slovak Republic 532 – 535.
4. Saaty T.L. (2008) Decision making with the analytic hierarchy process Int. J. Services Sciences 1(1) 83-98.
5. Tarnowski W. (1997) Foundations of the Engineering Design (in Polish) WNT Warszawa.
6. Tarnowski W. (2009) Simultaneous optimization of a machine and a process (in Polish) Problemy Eksploatacji: reprint from: Bioagrotechnical Systems Engineering 2 17-34.
7. Tarnowski W. (2011) Optimization and Poly-optimization in Engineering (in Polish) Wydawn. Pol. Koszalińskiej Koszalin.
8. Tarnowski W. (2015) Fuzzy and Soft Poly-Optimization in the Digital Environment – Examples chapter 9 in Fuzzy Optimization and Multi-Criteria Decision Making in Digital Marketing red. A Kumar IGI Global Hershey Pennsylvania USA 180-200.
9. Tarnowski W. Krzyzynski T. Maciejewski I. Oleskiewicz R. (2009) Poly-optimization - a paradigm in engineering design in mechatronics Archive of Applied Mechanics Archive of Applied Mechanics 81(2) 141-156.
10. Venkataraman P. (2009) Applied optimization with Matlab programming John Wiley & Sons.
11. Yager R.R. (1993) Fuzzy sets and systems Elsevier.