The paper describes modelling and testing of the piezoelectric beam as energy harvesting system. The cantilever beam with two piezo-elements glued onto its surface is considered in the paper. As result of carried out modal analysis of the beam the natural frequencies and modes shapes are determined. The obtained results in the way mentioned above allow to estimate such location of the piezo-actuator on the beam where the piezo generates maximal values of modal control forces. Experimental investigations carried out in the laboratory allow to verify results of natural frequencies obtained during simulation and also testing of the beam in order to obtain voltage from vibration with help of the piezo-harvester. The obtained values of voltage stored on the capacitor C0 shown that the best results are achieved for the beam excited to vibration with third natural frequency, but the worst results for the beam oscillating with the first natural frequency.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Anton S.R. Sodano H.A. (2007) A review of power harvesting using piezoelectric materials Smart Materials and Structures 16 1-21.
2. Arnold D. (2007) Review of microscale magnetic power generation IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 43 3940-3951.
3. Bai Y. Havranek P. Tofel P. Button T.W. (2015) Nonlinear piezoelectric devices for broadband air-flow energy harvesting The European Physical Journal Special Topics 224 2675-2685.
4. Borowiec M. (2015) Energy harvesting of cantilever beam system with linear and nonlinear piezoelectric model The European Physical Journal Special Topics 224 2771-2785.
5. Chen S.N. Wang G.J. Chien M.C. (2006) Analytical modeling of piezoelectric vibration-induced micro power generator Mechatronics 16 387-397.
6. Friswell M.I. Ali S.F. Adhikari S. Lees A.W. Bilgen O. Litak G. (2012) Nonlinear piezoelectric vibration energy harvesting from a vertical cantilever beam with tip mass Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 23 1505-1521.
7. Gosiewski Z. Koszewnik A. (2007) Modeling of beam as control plane for vibration control system Solid State Phenomena 144 59-64.
8. Kelly S.G. (2007) Advanced Vibration Analysis CRC Press.
9. Koszewnik A. Grześ P. Walendziuk W. (2015) Mechanical and electrical impedance matching in a piezoelectric beam for energy harvesting The European Physical Journal Special Topics 224 2719-2731.
10. Priya S. Inman D.J. (2009) Energy harvesting technologies Springer Verlag New York.
11. Roundy S. Wright P.K. Rabaey J. (2002) Micro-electrostatic vibration-to-electricity converters Proceedings of the ASME 2002 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
12. Sodano H. Inman D. Park G. (2005) Generation and storage of electricity from power harvesting devices Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 16 67-75.
13. Shu Y.C. Lien I.C. (2006) Analysis of power output for piezoelectric energy harvesting systems Smart Materials and Structures 15 1499-1512.
14. Tan D. Leng Y.G. Gao Y.J. (2015) Magnetic force of piezoelectric cantilever energy harvesters with external magnetic field The European Physical Journal Special Topics 224 2839-2853.
15. Williams C.B. Yates R.B. (1996) Analysis of a micro-electric generator for microsystems Sensors and Actuators 52 8-11.